Marner amazing pass to Bozak

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It was skill of him to have the peripheral awareness, sublime vision, and puck skills to get that puck to the front of the net while two teammates were crashing.

It was luck for the puck not to be deflected by one of three defenders/goaltender while it very easily could have.

I'm not sure how it can get much clearer than that.

100% this!!! Very high risk play.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Sweet pass by Marner btw... Call it luck all you want but it takes balls to put it through that kinda mess and expect it to hit a teammates stick right on the tape like that.

NHL players center the puck when they have guys in front all the time. Good on Marner for being the recipient of an assist this time.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
lol at you people....are we seriously going through this? It was just a great play, end of story, no need for breaking the whole play to molecules, lol. Yes, there was SOME luck involved, and to be honest, EVERY hockey player, no matter how great the play was, will tell you they were lucky their pass landed on the other player's stick, etc., and this is no different. Let's just agree that it looked good. It's no fluke that Marner is making a pass like that, it's a representation of his hockey IQ. You always need some bit of a luck, and it's no different here, but no need to lay too much stress on that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think what you are trying to say is it was a high risk play that worked out. Almost great plays are high risk, but when they work out are amazing. You can call it luck all you want, but there was clear intent on a high risk move that worked out as intended.

Yes, basically. When a player makes a high risk play and it works out, it's no more skillful than if they made the same play and it didn't work out. What I feel like, and what other posters feel like, is that this play is being put on a pedestal as though it was a 100%-controlled play by Marner where he had eyes on the back of his head and threaded the needle intentionally. It wasn't, though, and that does make it less impressive, though no less visually pleasing of course. I can understand why Leafs fans get excited. This was a smart play by a smart player. It wasn't an outstanding or rare play, though, just a rare outcome for that play.

When I saw the play, it reminded me of similar plays I've made (and that's not to say Marner is a beer leaguer or I'm a pro). When I blindly throw a puck to an area I know I have a teammate and I get lucky, I'm not that proud of the play. I'm much prouder of plays where I had to thread the needle through traffic, knew exactly what I was going to do and executed. I'm sure if Marner was asked where that ranks on his list of plays he's made, it probably isn't that high up.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yes, basically. When a player makes a high risk play and it works out, it's no more skillful than if they made the same play and it didn't work out. What I feel like, and what other posters feel like, is that this play is being put on a pedestal as though it was a 100%-controlled play by Marner where he had eyes on the back of his head and threaded the needle intentionally. It wasn't, though, and that does make it less impressive, though no less visually pleasing of course. I can understand why Leafs fans get excited. This was a smart play by a smart player. It wasn't an outstanding or rare play, though, just a rare outcome for that play.

When I saw the play, it reminded me of similar plays I've made (and that's not to say Marner is a beer leaguer or I'm a pro). When I blindly throw a puck to an area I know I have a teammate and I get lucky, I'm not that proud of the play. I'm much prouder of plays where I had to thread the needle through traffic, knew exactly what I was going to do and executed. I'm sure if Marner was asked where that ranks on his list of plays he's made, it probably isn't that high up.

I've wired one timers crossbar down, doesn't mean when Ovie does it there isn't incredible skill and intent .

It's clear you can't give credit to a great play, I'm done here .

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've wired one timers crossbar down, doesn't mean when Ovie does it there isn't incredible skill and intent .

This is a non sequitur.

It's clear you can't give credit to a great play, I'm done here .

On the contrary. I've given exactly the credit deserved to Marner for the play. He made a smart play due to good IQ and vision. I just don't think it's on the same level as if it was fully intentional.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
NHL players center the puck when they have guys in front all the time. Good on Marner for being the recipient of an assist this time.

And unlike Marner, they rarely connect tape to tape.

You can also probably count on one hand the number of NHL players who, with the time and space Marner had, would choose to instead *instantly* send that puck across the crease.

Nearly every other player looks up first, giving the defenders a chance to anticipate the pass.

The way Marner knew exactly where Bozak was, and sent the puck over instantly, was sublime. Everyone in the building and on TV assumed he'd take a second to establish control of the puck and look for his options or fire it on net. One of the biggest reasons the play worked is that he did it so quickly everyone was caught off guard. 200 hockey IQ. Unreal pass.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not quite. As he's coming around the net, he gets his head up right here:

ahI6Ts2.jpg

He definitely doesn't turn his head to telegraph the pass, but no question at this point he's surveying the scene in his peripherals (obviously, this plays out over more than one frame of the video with a range of head positions, but this is the only one I was able to capture- it's pretty low quality). He then puts his head back down to make the pass, but circumstances don't really change between the glance and the pass. That's the big difference with the pass the other night. From the time he took a look to the time he made the pass, a lot of things changed, so he wasn't totally in control of what happened. That's why, by his own admission, there was a luck element involved.

I'm not seeing that the same way you are, I don't think Dvorak is in his peripheral vision at this point - I think he's seeing the dmen's feet&sticks to be able to get the puck through them and he saw Dvorak moving that direction before he picked up the puck knowing where he would post up - I went back and frame-by-framed as well, the quality doesn't help much

And yes, the pass that this thread is about was more of a hailmary than the memorial cup one for sure, a bigger luck element involved for sure

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
When the main point is that he didn't look before passing, why would you compare a play where he did look while passing? :huh:

Uhh...maybe because the whole point is that he did look before passing. He even said he did after the game. I just showed an example of how he does it.

Honestly have u guys even seen Marner's highlight videos? He does this all the time. Its like u guys are trying to play catch to the way he processes the game. Ffs, even Dvorak has done that pass to Marner before. In fact, it was at an even greater distance than Marner's pass. Look at all Marner's goals in the 2015/16 season, then u'll know what I am talking about

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This is a non sequitur.

On the contrary. I've given exactly the credit deserved to Marner for the play. He made a smart play due to good IQ and vision. I just don't think it's on the same level as if it was fully intentional.

You mean your argument is that he is not on the level where he can literally play hockey blindfolded? That's where you're taking this? :shakehead

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
And unlike Marner, they rarely connect tape to tape.

You can also probably count on one hand the number of NHL players who, with the time and space Marner had, would choose to instead *instantly* send that puck across the crease.

Nearly every other player looks up first, giving the defenders a chance to anticipate the pass.

The way Marner knew exactly where Bozak was, and sent the puck over instantly, was sublime. Everyone in the building and on TV assumed he'd take a second to establish control of the puck and look for his options or fire it on net. One of the biggest reasons the play worked is that he did it so quickly everyone was caught off guard. 200 hockey IQ. Unreal pass.

He did not know exactly where bozak was. You keep saying things over and over that are completely contradicted by his own quote. Saying he knew exactly knew where he was is saying he knew exactly where he was passing the puck to. For God sakes he said himself he didn't have even know who specifically he was passing to. He said he hoped one of two teammates would be there to get the puck. You're not even being honest at this point.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The important part there is where he says "luckliy it went right to Bozy." That is not true of every pass. That's only true if you aren't 100% sure where the intended receiver of the pass is and where your pass is going to go.

That comment means very little. Of course he doesn't know if the defenders sticks will get in the way. Even if ur Crosby feathering a pass between to defender sticks, in no way is he 100% sure the puck will reach the intended target.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He did not know exactly where bozak was. You keep saying things over and over that are completely contradicted by his own quote. Saying he knew exactly knew where he was is saying he knew exactly where he was passing the puck to. For God sakes he said himself he didn't have even know who specifically he was passing to. He said he hoped one of two teammates would be there to get the puck. You're not even being honest at this point.

Exactly. We can see in the video when the last time was that he looked at his teammates, and we can hear his statements saying he was throwing it to where he knew they were going to be, and that it was lucky that the puck went right to Bozak.

There really is no further analysis necessary given those facts. It's a smart play that was lucky to succeed.

Honestly, I don't know what is expected when a play is put on the main board. People are going to give their opinions. No one is insulting Mitch Marner on this play; he did a good thing that led to a goal for his team.

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
Greatest pass I've seen in a LOOOOONG time. Kid is simply spectacular.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There was likely at least some luck involved but it was a creative play that resulted in a goal. The game needs more creativity so good on Marner for trying and completing a pass like that.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Bob McKenzie in his podcast on Marner's goal: "Last night against Florida, I mean, Marner was incredible with his turn. That was incredible no-look tape-to-tape pass for the Bozak goal."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad