TSN: Marner’s Agent: UPDATE: No contract talks until after the season.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yep they were 2 of the commentators talking about it, also Hayes and Noodles were talking about it too.

those 2 a crazy for the most negative slant to anything. Ive noticed hays, noodles and the odog talk about dregers info like they believe but why would they say "I don't believe it" its the same station that is looking for hits. For example hayes talks about Steve Simmons like he is actually a good reporter I cant honestly believe any well informed sports fan thinks that about simmons, I just cant

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
just out of curiosity wondering if 3 different agents are "legally" allowed to talk to each other regarding what are the Leafs offering for each player
???

of course they are. And the leafs should be encouraging it, the only way nylander buys into a discount is if he is convinced the other 2 will as well, imagine he takes a discount and next year Marner and Matthews take every cent they are worth he'd feel pretty stupid.

For the record I don't hold it against any player taking as much as they can get, its up to management to make it work not the players. Obviously if they were so inclined id be stocked but I don't ever expect someone to do it

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
of course they are. And the leafs should be encouraging it, the only way nylander buys into a discount is if he is convinced the other 2 will as well, imagine he takes a discount and next year Marner and Matthews take every cent they are worth he'd feel pretty stupid.

For the record I don't hold it against any player taking as much as they can get, its up to management to make it work not the players. Obviously if they were so inclined id be stocked but I don't ever expect someone to do it

I was thinking along the lines of not really discount but if marner and matthews are making X dollars why am I getting X-3million dollars?

similarly for Marner; if Matthews is making X dollars why am I making X-Y dollars (Y=2 to 3 million)

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I think Leafs management has kicked things into high gear trying to get him signed before puck drop. After witnessing his preseason, they must have become a lot more eager to avoid the amounts he might command next summer.

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
what do you expect the agent to say here? "nah we are holding out for Max $$$"? If Marner wants to sign he will sign, but he has the ;luxury of putting up serious numbers this season with JT if he wasn't to max his next contract he will wait, there is no way the leafs will pay him any more than $7.5 before he plays this season that's just stupid
If he would agree to a deal today at 8m Dubas would not be able to get his pen out fast enough.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Getting Marner and Nylander done before the season would be so nice. No hurry with Matthews. If we sign him now, he'll get around $11M, and if we wait a season he'll mostly just continue to build a case for that number. The market for that kind of player is weird like that. He'd have to do something absolutely insane to actually push that number even higher.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If he would agree to a deal today at 8m Dubas would not be able to get his pen out fast enough.

maybe, im less sure on that. Kucherov will be leafs chief comparable he is $9.5M had 100 points and a 40 goal season too. Marner at 90 points doesn't go past that so even if marner has 100 points id stick with Kucherov (I know about the tax situation but it is less of an issue than its made out to be)

hell even Stamkos is a good comparable couple of 90 points seasons

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Sigh. The salary cap is such a drag.

We're on the verge of maybe the most anticipated season in the 30+ years I've been cheering for the Leafs. We just signed arguably the best UFA in the salary cap era. We have a cadre of young stars including a homegrown first overall pick who might be one of the best 2 or 3 players in the league.

And 90% of the discussion is about the friggin cap. . Wish we could have just one year where we don't have to concern ourselves with all this math and just enjoy the on-ice stuff!

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
This year is literally the one you speak of. We don't need to worry about it right now, save for Nylander's situation.

Technically. But the spectre of next year's cap crunch makes it moot. We'll all be wringing our hands until all the big guys are signed long-term. And then the hand-wringing will begin about how to keep the support guys.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Technically. But the spectre of next year's cap crunch makes it moot. We'll all be wringing our hands until all the big guys are signed long-term. And then the hand-wringing will begin about how to keep the support guys.
True. Could be worse problems to have, like wondering if we'll win the draft lottery or not.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I've said it before but if they go into the year with no contract for these guys I will consider it the first big failure of management.

You simply do NOT go into a year with a talent like Matthews needing a deal. Just pay him the 11M we all know he will get. Otherwise he could sign a 12.5 offersheet easily and force their hand.

And Marner is coming into Matthews territory. Rather just pay him the Kucherov deal now then 10.5 in a year.

It's more important to get those two signed than it is Nylander. It's just the way it is. Sign them to what they are asking and offer Nylander the rest or tell him he will be moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad