TSN: Marner’s Agent: UPDATE: No contract talks until after the season.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If they signed today does Nylander get more than Marner?
Absolutely not.

If Marner signed today he's getting upwards of 7.5. and that would be a steal.

There is a chance he values security over dollars and doesn't want to risk long term injury this season..

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
they'll regret it, very good chance he gets $10M x 8 next summer. what if he wins the Art Ross? try $12M.

What if? What if? We can’t pay him on what if he hits 90 points what if he doesn’t? We overpaid him. We all are pretty sure he will do it but paying before he does it isn’t saving us money signing now. I don’t see him scoring more than mcdavid or Kucherov this season so don’t really think we need to worry about an art ross

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'd offer 7.5-8 x 8 and see if his camp bites.

But id get the nylander deal done first.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
On Leafs Lunch and on Overdrive yesterday they were floating the idea that the chances Marner and Matthews receive offer sheets is very real. One of the commentators said that Lou will be one of the GM's in the hunt for one of the two players.

This makes the Nylander deal just that much more important, his cap hit will influence our flexibility to sign M & M.

Quite simply if signing Nylander means we put ourselves at risk to lose one of the M's, I say trade Nylander now and be done with it. Nylander is good but he is complimentary good not line driver good.

Reactions: dsred

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Good to hear. It's another important negotiation, and it's still not even the last. Would be great to get it done prior to the start of the season, but that requires some give from both player and team.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I have a feeling Marner of the three might be the most eager to take the hometown discount. If they were to actually sign Marner now, he would set the benchmark for the others.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
On Leafs Lunch and on Overdrive yesterday they were floating the idea that the chances Marner and Matthews receive offer sheets is very real. One of the commentators said that Lou will be one of the GM's in the hunt for one of the two players.

This makes the Nylander deal just that much more important, his cap hit will influence our flexibility to sign M & M.

Quite simply if signing Nylander means we put ourselves at risk to lose one of the M's, I say trade Nylander now and be done with it. Nylander is good but he is complimentary good not line driver good.

Unless the players agree to actually sign a one year offer sheet it's not an issue.

It's far more likely they'd negotiate a longer term deal with the leafs.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

If you run into cap problems, you dont trade your young core players. You trade anyone else.

And what are you trading Nylander for? Anything you trade him for will hopefully be another impact player and will probably cost you the same amount.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Far fetched theory: Dubas and the Marner camp have a deal basically done. Something around 8 x 7.75

Dubas is just waiting for Nylander to sign first so that Willy can't use marners contract as bargaining power.

Than Matthews signs for 11, and "the big 3" are locked up for $25m

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Start holding your breath.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Let me guess the commentators that floated that out were gord Miller and Darren dreger?

Miller is pretty stupid about this kind of stuff especially for how arrogantly he behave about it. Dreger has picked that as his topic for the week it seems

Reactions: OddyOh and Drew311

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Let me guess the commentators that floated that out were gord Miller and Darren dreger?

Miller is pretty stupid about this kind of stuff especially for how arrogantly he behave about it. Dreger has picked that as his topic for the week it seems

Yep they were 2 of the commentators talking about it, also Hayes and Noodles were talking about it too.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
just out of curiosity wondering if 3 different agents are "legally" allowed to talk to each other regarding what are the Leafs offering for each player
???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad