Confirmed with Link: Marlies sign goalie Dryden McKay to 2 year AHL contract

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not a bad signing but I'd like to see what we have in Petruzelli, especially considering he is 6'5. Hopefully he comes back to the Marlies. Maybe they can platoon? At this point I'm kinda over Joe Woll

Petruzelli is signed for two years, ending at the end of NEXT season.

With goalies, it is very common for them to start in the ECHL, so there are plenty of spots available for him. He'll probably start with the Growlers, and if he has success like Petruzelli did down there, he'll get his opportunity to work his way up. Goalies are like lottery tickets... you never know what you are going to get. Having more... gives a great probability of success.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McKay is currently under a six-month suspension from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) due to a positive test for Ostarine, a selective androgen receptor found in supplements.

McKay could have faced up to a four-year ban for the substance but received a lesser sentence because he “proved the source was a wrongly-marked supplement,” per Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

The signing comes one week after McKay accepted a six-month ban from competition for an anti-doping rule violation, according to the United States Anti-Doping Agency. He will be eligible to voluntarily enter the Marlies' facilities on Aug. 25 and play for the team beginning Oct. 11.

McKay told ESPN that he was notified on Feb. 1 that a urine sample collected on Jan. 23 returned a positive test for ostarine, a muscle growth drug that's not approved by the FDA and is considered a banned substance by the USADA Protocol for Olympic and Paralympic Movement Testing, the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee National Anti-Doping Policy and the International Ice Hockey Federation Anti-Doping Regulations.

Last edited:

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
GleamingSlipperyChipmunk-size_restricted.gif
But Crusoe is in a Habs uniform, Oakley is the true athlete! He wears a Leafs sweater!

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
The last 10 Hobey Baker winners.
1-Dryden McKay
2-Cole Caufield
3-Scot Perunovich
4-Cale Makar
5-Adam Gaudette
6-Will Butcher
7-Jimmy Vesey
8-Jack Eichel
9-Johnny Gaudreau
10-Drew Leblanc

The people who select the Hobey know what they are doing. 6 stars out of that list of 10. And the other 3 have a high ceiling. This is a steal for the Leafs.
There's only 4 star players there. Technically 3 as Caufield isn't there just yet. It isn't a guarantee of anything.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
how are his USHL stats from 5 years ago at all relevant
How are his stats from the NCAA relevant when he has barely faced 20 shots per game over his career. He averaged under 18 saves, this past season, 19 average shots against. His numbers are great, but it looks more misleading. I just think everyone needs to temper there expectation.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The last 10 Hobey Baker winners.
1-Dryden McKay
2-Cole Caufield
3-Scot Perunovich
4-Cale Makar
5-Adam Gaudette
6-Will Butcher
7-Jimmy Vesey
8-Jack Eichel
9-Johnny Gaudreau
10-Drew Leblanc

The people who select the Hobey know what they are doing. 6 stars out of that list of 10. And the other 3 have a high ceiling. This is a steal for the Leafs.
This is the most over used saying on HF. This might become a steal but it is not even close to a steal for the leafs right now.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
I think they've always known.
If they really did they would have had Freddie's replacements already in the system when he got signed. But they were like ok we got a starter now we can forget about it. Sparks was the only thing they could come up with, and then had to trade for Jack. Goalies are Voodoo but they have no witch-doctor's onboard! To me this is still a patchwork they need a group that's dedicated to goaltending and not just one guy like Briere.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
How are his stats from the NCAA relevant when he has barely faced 20 shots per game over his career. He averaged under 18 saves, this past season, 19 average shots against. His numbers are great, but it looks more misleading. I just think everyone needs to temper there expectation.

Not that I disagree that the stats don't mean a whole lot until they're in a pro league...BUT, it's actually harder to put up a great save percentage when you're facing that few shots per game.

Reactions: cookie

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
If they really did they would have had Freddie's replacements already in the system when he got signed. But they were like ok we got a starter now we can forget about it. Sparks was the only thing they could come up with, and then had to trade for Jack. Goalies are Voodoo but they have no witch-doctor's onboard! To me this is still a patchwork they need a group that's dedicated to goaltending and not just one guy like Briere.
It's not as easy as you're making it out to be.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The guys on overdrive are literally exposing their limited knowledge talking about this guy right now.

No lie, they don’t know if he’s eligible to play for the Marlies and are are talking about how the Leafs won out considering every team in league was in on this guy offering him a contract.

Reactions: stickty111

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Leafs have had the worst track record of drafting and developing legit goalies.

this is a smart move by dubas. see what he can do

24 for a goalie is really 20 for a skater. lots of room to grow still

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
10 shutouts in 19-20 and 10 shutouts in 20-21. Ill take it!

Came on here to read the Blue Jays thread, and saw this thread before I found it (why is it not pinned anymore?!?!), but don’t get too excited.

Minnesota State has been a very tight defensive team in his career. This season they were averaging around 13 shots against. Not high danger shots. But total shots.

He’ll probably be fine, but I wouldn’t expect him to put up even half of that output

Reactions: Roadhog

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think we should bite the bullet and pull a LOU.
Used a 1st to draft Marty Brodeur
Traded a 1st and got Freddy
Traded a 1st and got Cory Schnieder

Maybe just get the best available goalie on the market for our 1st.
Last 2 goalies to win a round for us Cujo and Belfour. Both top goalies at the time. coincidence...NOPE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad