Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If Robertson is choosing to not go, that's more than fine. If the team is making this decision for him, I don't love it.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was his decision. He's a pretty rare breed. He's said he viewed his time in the OHL as nothing more than a vehicle to get him to the NHL. The world juniors is obviously a level above, but he really just seems to care about professional hockey. We'll see what happens I guess

Reactions: Morgs

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was his decision. He's a pretty rare breed. He's said he viewed his time in the OHL as nothing more than a vehicle to get him to the NHL. The world juniors is obviously a level above, but he really just seems to care about professional hockey. We'll see what happens I guess
My preference would be for him to go to the World Juniors and then report to the Marlies for the year. Obviously that is only possible if the AHL runs and the OHL doesn't.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It should be up to Robertson if he goes or not. If his priority is the Leafs, great. If he wants to take his last crack at WJC gold, he should be allowed to. He already had a training camp with the Leafs back in August, and has been working in Toronto for months now. Dominating the WJC would be pretty beneficial for him

Robertson attended a training camp under Babcock. There is substantial benefit if he's on the Leafs roster this season for him to go through a training camp under Keefe.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As Bob mentioned, the WJC and training camp is overlapping. Even just going to Edmonton bubble to Toronto would require him to quarantine for 7 days. Leafs likely don't want him to miss camp, so we'll see what happens.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I love Robertson. He's trying to make it as hard as possible to cut him. He wants to stay around the team, continue building chemistry. Ingratiate and integrate himself into the fabric of the team to the point he makes it impossible to imagine us without him.

Honestly I'm a little bummed because I wanted him to dominate junior players, but I respect the grind. And at least now we don't have to care about the American team, go Finland and Russia!

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
In that same string of tweets from McKenzie, it states that Robertson has been following the Covid protocols that would still allow him to join Team USA on Sunday in Edmonton, if that's the ultimate decision that is made.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think it's more us being selfish wishing we could see him dominate against guys the same age as him (and hopefully upstage Caufield again ;)), when in reality if he wants a permanent spot this year on the Leafs he should be going to camp, impressing Keefe/Dubas, and making it impossible for them to "cut" him, like he did prior to the playoffs starting.

I'm not picky either way. It will just mean the difference between me watching and not watching the USA play.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Robertson attended a training camp under Babcock. There is substantial benefit if he's on the Leafs roster this season for him to go through a training camp under Keefe.
nope, the training camp was with Keefe. Although it was under exceptional circumstances, Keefe and the organization do have a level of familiarity with him as a player. I'm not sure if that's enough for them to be comfortable with saving him a spot while he goes to dominate the WJC though

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think it's more us being selfish wishing we could see him dominate against guys the same age as him (and hopefully upstage Caufield again ;)), when in reality if he wants a permanent spot this year on the Leafs he should be going to camp, impressing Keefe/Dubas, and making it impossible for them to "cut" him, like he did prior to the playoffs starting.

I'm not picky either way. It will just mean the difference between me watching and not watching the USA play.

I don't know, I can't imagine Robertson lighting up the world juniors would hurt his stock with the Leafs brass

If he's getting games against good competition and can get back for some of Leafs camp it could help his push to make the team

That's something a lot of other guys won't have had the benefit of

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
The kid played games already at the NHL level and is looking to make the team. I don’t get this obsession with sending him to dominate kids. Let him try and make the the team and be helpful in the big league idc if he goes and lights up juniors again.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I for one am okay with letting Robertson's ELC slide another year. If he is definitively better than the rest of the guys in the bottom 6 then sure keep him around.

He was okay in the play in's but lost a step once the regulars started getting their legs back.

Another year of junior won't hurt him (look at DeBrincat) and then we can target some guys that may have to bite the bullet on cheap 1 year deals in Granlund/Haula/Soderberg/Hoffman.

Reactions: aingefan

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I for one am okay with letting Robertson's ELC slide another year. If he is definitively better than the rest of the guys in the bottom 6 then sure keep him around.

He was okay in the play in's but lost a step once the regulars started getting their legs back.

Another year of junior won't hurt him (look at DeBrincat) and then we can target some guys that may have to bite the bullet on cheap 1 year deals in Granlund/Haula/Soderberg/Hoffman.

Long-term though, I'd rather negotiate against a 21 year old Robertson with probably 2/3 ELC years in limited bottom-6 minutes than a 22 year old Robertson with 2/3 ELC years getting normal middle-6 use + special teams. If Hyman is gone in FA, we could be looking at Robertson getting 1st/2nd line minutes in 2022.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't know, I can't imagine Robertson lighting up the world juniors would hurt his stock with the Leafs brass

If he's getting games against good competition and can get back for some of Leafs camp it could help his push to make the team

That's something a lot of other guys won't have had the benefit of

Meh. This isnt something that normally happens. We'd know his standing/importance on the team any year by this point.

If I'm the Leafs I let him decide. This guy didnt stay in Toronto away from family the entire pandemic to not play for the Leafs. I cant see him playing against kids over proving himself worthy in camp.

I'd only be disappointed if he misses the WJC and doesnt make the Leafs.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Lol same thing for me.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Debrincat was in the NHL in his D+2 (Drafted 2016, in the NHL 17/18 season), which is Robertson this coming season.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Robertson is a really determined kid. The fact he stayed in Toronto should tell that he will do anything to make the Leafs, even potentially missing a chance to represent his country.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Debrincat was in the NHL in his D+2 (Drafted 2016, in the NHL 17/18 season), which is Robertson this coming season.

Pretty Debrincat was a late birthday that played his U20 year in junior. Would be essentially a fully year older with an extra season of experience in his D+2

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Ya it would be so nice to see some more Caufield trolling in the Caufield vs Robertson poll thread.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Don't NHL camps open on the 3rd? He could be out of the WJC by then if USA loses in a QF, or miss a couple days if they win and are playing until the 5th. I guess for a player in his position you'd like to be around for the entire training camp especially given it's going to be a short one, but I don't see the big deal. Also gets himself into high level game shape given he's played what 4 games since March?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Meh. This isnt something that normally happens. We'd know his standing/importance on the team any year by this point.

If I'm the Leafs I let him decide. This guy didnt stay in Toronto away from family the entire pandemic to not play for the Leafs. I cant see him playing against kids over proving himself worthy in camp.

I'd only be disappointed if he misses the WJC and doesnt make the Leafs.

I wouldn't, if I had doubts about him making the Leafs roster (i do) I'd send him, I think it's a beneficial tournament for a kid in his stage of development and he will still get back for the back end of camp so the team can get a look at him in both settings

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Don't NHL camps open on the 3rd? He could be out of the WJC by then if USA loses in a QF, or miss a couple days if they win and are playing until the 5th. I guess for a player in his position you'd like to be around for the entire training camp especially given it's going to be a short one, but I don't see the big deal. Also gets himself into high level game shape given he's played what 4 games since March?

Even though the tournament is in Canada, upon return to Toronto, Robertson would still need to quarantine for 7 days.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn't, if I had doubts about him making the Leafs roster (i do) I'd send him, I think it's a beneficial tournament for a kid in his stage of development and he will still get back for the back end of camp so the team can get a look at him in both settings
not sure why you have doubts. if he could play in a postseason environment back in August, he can play in a much more relaxed environment after training for months. He also wouldn't be able to do both because of the quarantine period

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
not sure why you have doubts. if he could play in a postseason environment back in August, he can play in a much more relaxed environment after training for months. He also wouldn't be able to do both because of the quarantine period

Are we pretending he didn't look overmatched in that same play in round?

3 games where he looks overmatched and he's starting in the top 9?

I'd like to see him prove he's able to do that before I start penciling him into lineups

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I'd like to see him prove he's able to do that before I start penciling him into lineups
are we pretending it's a fact that he was overmatched? I would be more inclined to take your opinion as fact if you actually knew how many games he played in the bubble

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Except he didn't look overmatched. He was alright for a teen playing against a tough physical team. He had some good moments and some not so good, but he wasn't overmatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad