Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
who cares? he's a bad KHL player.

He was one of the better rookies last year. Nominated for rookie of the year (which he obviously didn't win but still). 8th (7th out of forwards) in team scoring despite being 11th in ice time for forwards. He also top 15 in U23 PPG and top 20 in U23 total points with the guys ahead of him either received a lot more ice time (on their crappier teams) or played with a lot better talent than Dzierkals in their lesser roles (or, in some cases, were top prospects like Kaprizov and Vesalainen).

Was he amazing? No. But he's a 22 year old who I'd rather have in the organization than lose for nothing. He's a guy within reach of an ELC next year with a strong enough performance.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He was one of the better rookies last year. Nominated for rookie of the year (which he obviously didn't win but still). 8th (7th out of forwards) in team scoring despite being 11th in ice time for forwards. He also top 15 in U23 PPG and top 20 in U23 total points with the guys ahead of him either received a lot more ice time (on their crappier teams) or played with a lot better talent than Dzierkals in their lesser roles (or, in some cases, were top prospects like Kaprizov and Vesalainen).

Was he amazing? No. But he's a 22 year old who I'd rather have in the organization than lose for nothing. He's a guy within reach of an ELC next year with a strong enough performance.

from PPP:

He told the Leafs he would not take an AHL deal unless they guaranteed no time in the ECHL. Then he asked for a trade, when his return value would be zero, and no NHLteam would even want his rights for free.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
from PPP:

That was after his ECHL season, unless you have something more updated that I am missing, the quote from Dzierkals was:

“During the negotiations for my next contract, there weren’t any guarantees that the same thing wouldn’t happen to me again,” he explained. “The team front office said the same — that I would play in the AHL. I spent some time there but they sent me down. I wasn’t happy with their rules. Eventually, I got tired of waiting, I texted [Maple Leafs GM Kyle Dubas] myself so I could figure things out. I don’t know if I can tell you this but I had made a trade request because I wasn’t happy with my contract. They had told me that they liked me and that they don’t want to move me.

Unless Dzierkals is lying or misinterpreted Dubas' words, that sounds like the Leafs did not want to trade his rights. Maybe that is because they were not worth anything, but there are a lot of ways they could convey that without giving the impression that they did not like him. The quote from PPP was the journalist's own personal opinion about Dzierkals.

Dzierkals did better this year than he did last year, and last year the Leafs were willing to offer Dzierkals another AHL contract. Dzierkals did well in the ECHL, but he did not want to go there again. The Leafs were not going to promise that because he still needed to prove himself at the AHL level, and Dzierkals thought it would be better for him to get guaranteed ice time in the KHL instead. Honestly, I think it was in everyone's best interest that he went back.

It's not like keeping his rights costs the Leafs anything and he still has a good amount of upside left. I am sure if it were up to them, they'd want to keep Dzierkals' rights around as long as he still has that upside.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Either he reaggravated the injury, or he wasn't fully recovered to begin with. Not sure why he played yesterday if thats the case.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Either he reaggravated the injury, or he wasn't fully recovered to begin with. Not sure why he played yesterday if thats the case.

Good, I'd rather have the kid get right before his season starts in Liiga than risk aggravating his injury in a meaningless junior tournament

Get fit, have a strong season, continue to work on his game

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Good, I'd rather have the kid get right before his season starts in Liiga than risk aggravating his injury in a meaningless junior tournament

Get fit, have a strong season, continue to work on his game
Yup this probably worked out well for Kokkonen.

Reactions: Kiwi

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I read: "Brazeau's agent is working on getting his client an NHL contract."

And so he should.

He's getting paid the same amount as any kid on an ELC gets paid in the AHL anyways.

If he pushes for a job at the NHL level then the deal will be there from us.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He's getting paid the same amount as any kid on an ELC gets paid in the AHL anyways.

If he pushes for a job at the NHL level then the deal will be there from us.

We don't own his rights though, so other teams could be, or could become interested enough to offer him an NHL contract.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
IIUC Leafs would have the opportunity to match it, though.

No, he isn't an RFA and nobody owns his rights.

I mean, Brazeau might want to stay, so he might give the the Leafs the opportunity to match if he gets an offer, but it's not set up that way.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
IIUC Leafs would have the opportunity to match it, though.

Negative. The Marlies would technically need to allow Brazeau out of the contract to sign elsewhere, but Brazeau would need to be the one to accept an ELC from us. In theory, Brazeau’s agent could notify, the Leafs ask to match, Brazeau saying they are sticking with the commitment and the Marlies refuse to let him go, but that doesn’t seem like something to Dubas’ character.

However, everything we’ve seen and heard from Brazeau’s camp is that they are ecstatic to be with the Marlies, and if they got an ELC and the Leafs wanted to match, he would allow the Leafs to do so.

But it’s not a set in stone thing.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think Brazeau would give Leafs first crack at an NHL contract given how closely they seem to be working with him. I'm not sure if this is standard practice across the NHL, but when he signed with the Marlies he seemed to really like how intimate their program was for each players skill.

if he comes out of the gate guns blazing, I think an ELC would soon follow.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think Brazeau would give Leafs first crack at an NHL contract given how closely they seem to be working with him. I'm not sure if this is standard practice across the NHL, but when he signed with the Marlies he seemed to really like how intimate their program was for each players skill.

if he comes out of the gate guns blazing, I think an ELC would soon follow.

I'd hope he comes out guns blazing due to his age

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We don't own his rights though, so other teams could be, or could become interested enough to offer him an NHL contract.
As far as we know he did get contract offers already. chose the AHL deal to come here and work with our staff. I doubt he would just abandon that to go somewhere else.

It could happen, but if he shows he's worth an ELC and the work this summer pays off, I'm sure he'd give us the opportunity to match.

Reactions: LeafChief

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Seems like folks are confused about waivers. So Timashov gets waived....if any team claim him he has to stay on the NHL roster all season or else he has to go on waivers again. Really to you think Timashov is an NHLer on any team?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seems like folks are confused about waivers. So Timashov gets waived....if any team claim him he has to stay on the NHL roster all season or else he has to go on waivers again. Really to you think Timashov is an NHLer on any team?

Have you seen some of the forwards on Ottawa and Edmonton lol

(FWIW I don’t think he gets claimed)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If Brazeau signs an ELC with any team other than Toronto, the only reason will be because Toronto didn't want to match.

He wants to be here.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Have you seen some of the forwards on Ottawa and Edmonton lol

(FWIW I don’t think he gets claimed)

Actually Belleville (Sens AHL team) has a good group of forwards. Unfortunately for Sens fans there isn't much difference Sens forwards and Belleville team in many cases.
From an outsider, I think the Sens have hope to be a good team in the future.......if the ownership is willing. (that's a big if)

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
And if he does get claimed, it's not a big loss.

Maybe not in this specific case. But it's also important to not 'lose' players that other teams see value in. Leafs need to have cheap talent coming through on ELC or cheap early years contract. They also need to replenish their system from deals that saw futures moved out (Muzzin, Barrie).

Leafs need the Timashovs, Braccos, Marchments, Brooks, Korshkovs etc. to be the next wave pushing through while the younger prospects continue to develop (Robertson, SDA) just to keep costs down. Same goes for the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad