Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - It's finally puckdrop, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think it's a mistake to keep Liljegren (and Robertson) on the Marlies for much longer. Bad habits can creep into your game if you're playing at a level that's too easy for you. Young players need to be challenged to keep growing

Robertson still has things to learn, and Liljegren can develop his mental toughness. It's either play here or sit on the taxi squad, and I am sure he would rather play right now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Robertson still has things to learn, and Liljegren can develop his mental toughness. It's either play here or sit on the taxi squad, and I am sure he would rather play right now.
Liljegren was a dominant AHL defenseman last season. I don't think he has anything to prove at this level anymore. Robertson should just be on the Marlies for a few games to get back up to speed. He's already played in the NHL and looked like he belongs

Reactions: stickty111

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think it's a mistake to keep Liljegren (and Robertson) on the Marlies for much longer. Bad habits can creep into your game if you're playing at a level that's too easy for you. Young players need to be challenged to keep growing
The NHL team is at the stage that results trump prospect development unfortunately. We're not the first team to be in that position, and it's not necessarily a death sentence for development of future prospects, especially when the organization is made of money.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The NHL team is at the stage that results trump prospect development unfortunately. We're not the first team to be in that position, and it's not necessarily a death sentence for development of future prospects, especially when the organization is made of money.
True. I think it's easy to make a case for Robertson being better than Vesey right now though

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
There's something that bugs me about Robby, but I'm not sure if I'm crazy.

It seems whenever he gets the puck he just... stops skating. Opens his legs, glides, and instead of driving he kind of just waits for the play to develop.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kivahalme is like a rover out there. Literally looks like he wants to be a forward

Hollowell is not much better, and they are playing together. I don't think that pairing has had a good game yet. Their defensive games leave a lot to desire, and Hollowell hasn't done much offensive either.

Reactions: Atomos2

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
He's not giving up his blue line, he's forcing the puck carrier to the outside, he's using his body to separate players from the puck, then moving the puck quickly and efficiently out of his own zone or to a teammate in a better position

What kind of sorcery is this :laugh:
Dark magic sorcery.

I thought his development had been hindered though?

I wouldn't be surprised though that if Liljegren was up in the NHL and struggling after making the team out of camp, those posters would still blame Dubas for bringing him up too early this season haha.

Reactions: LeafChief

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dark magic sorcery.

I thought his development had been hindered though?

I wouldn't be surprised though that if Liljegren was up in the NHL and struggling after making the team out of camp, those posters would still blame Dubas for bringing him up too early this season haha.

To be fair Liljegren looked bloody good last year as well, the kid is solid as a rock

I don't mind him fighting for a spot but I'd like to see a path for him to make the NHL team sooner rather than later

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
To be fair Liljegren looked bloody good last year as well, the kid is solid as a rock

I don't mind him fighting for a spot but I'd like to see a path for him to make the NHL team sooner rather than later
It would be easy enough to do a rotation on the bottom pair with Bogosian during the regular season, similar to what Tampa did with Bogosian/Schenn/Coburn last year.

Dermott is a better partner than Liljegren had for most of his 100 minutes last year so it would be an ideal situation while everyone was healthy.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It would be easy enough to do a rotation on the bottom pair with Bogosian during the regular season, similar to what Tampa did with Bogosian/Schenn/Coburn last year.

Dermott is a better partner than Liljegren had for most of his 100 minutes last year so it would be an ideal situation while everyone was healthy.

The problem is we already have 3 guys rotating through the bottom pair as is, that's with a Sandin injury

Unless we get some injuries it's hard to see him getting a run of games, which is better for him imo

He seems to thrive on work, so that 10 minutes a game play 1 miss 2 isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The problem is we already have 3 guys rotating through the bottom pair as is, that's with a Sandin injury

Unless we get some injuries it's hard to see him getting a run of games, which is better for him imo

He seems to thrive on work, so that 10 minutes a game play 1 miss 2 isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination
Agreed. If Liljegren is going to get a shot at the NHL, he needs to be given some rope. Otherwise, leave him where he is for now.

Reactions: aingefan

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hollowell is not much better, and they are playing together. I don't think that pairing has had a good game yet. Their defensive games leave a lot to desire, and Hollowell hasn't done much offensive either.

Does anyone know why Mac Hollowell was subject of speculation that the Leafs would use him this year? He seems so far down the depth chart, doesn't have any real track record in the AHL or other immediate NHL ready qualities to speak of.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Does anyone know why Mac Hollowell was subject of speculation that the Leafs would use him this year? He seems so far down the depth chart, doesn't have any real track record in the AHL or other immediate NHL ready qualities to speak of.
He was playing in Finland during the COVID shutdown. He happened to come back over to Toronto at the same time Thornton, Sandin, Matthews and Nylander were returning to Toronto from their homes abroad so they all got together and quarantined in the same house. There were some instagram pictures posted and I think that gave people the idea that Hollowell was further along than he actually is.

Matthews also specifically pumped his tires in a post.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I have him ahead of kivihalme, duszak, rosen. I think rubins has more detail and is better at facing incoming forecheck pressure, but hollowell has more potential for his puckhandling and skating. Hollowell is definitely not better than liljegren. His skating is nhl ready, but i think he needs a larger role, which he will get when liljegren gets promoted due to injuries or a certain defenseman’s regression.

Hollowell was the subject of speculation because he was drafted by dubas in the soo and the former assistant gm of the marlies has frequently expressed optimism towards hollowell’s development as hollowell is hard-working and has iq (at least in juniors and mestis).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad