Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marlies win 4-0. Outshot Rochester 40-22 and might be the best game they have under Moore in terms of shot difference. Kallgren 1st shutout.
Anderson 1 goal 2 assists.
Duszak goal and assist
Kral goal
Steeves goal

Good to see the young guys leading the way

He and Abramov have been brightspots as young C's this season.

Fingers crossed one of them works out, it's been awhile since we developed a good centre through the Marlies

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Marlies win 4-0. Outshot Rochester 40-22 and might be the best game they have under Moore in terms of shot difference. Kallgren 1st shutout.
Anderson 1 goal 2 assists.
Duszak goal and assist
Kral goal
Steeves goal

sounds like our most promising players down there are all producing. Nice to see we have that depth. I could really see Steeves, Kral, and Anderson grabbing some NHL minutes next year. Not sure about Duscak yet.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
JoeyA really forcing the issue.

So is Steeves.

Good for Kallgren to get the goose egg..

Prolly lowest shot total against during Moore’s tenure.

JAnd and AStee literally the only 2 consistent goal scoring threats on the team .........
im actually very impressed with the win results moore has been able to accomplish with this group. I thought at best this was a fringe playoff team at the start of the year. Moore have been able to squeeze alot out of this roster

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I'm very intrigued by Curtis Douglas. At first I thought he would just be another AHL'er. He looks like a legit prospect that will play NHL games now. His stat line is pretty respectable for a guy who doesn't play the highest in the lineup or get much powerplay time. Likely a 4th liner, but a guy that big is quite a unique player to have. The guy can also flat out fight and knows how to utilize his reach in doing so. His skating isn't AWFUL especially for someone his size, but if it can get a little better I think that goes a long way for him.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm very intrigued by Curtis Douglas. At first I thought he would just be another AHL'er. He looks like a legit prospect that will play NHL games now. His stat line is pretty respectable for a guy who doesn't play the highest in the lineup or get much powerplay time. Likely a 4th liner, but a guy that big is quite a unique player to have. The guy can also flat out fight and knows how to utilize his reach in doing so. His skating isn't AWFUL especially for someone his size, but if it can get a little better I think that goes a long way for him.

He needs to be studying tape of Kampf and figuring out how to add his physical game to that.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Him and Petruzzelli are the main guys on AHL contracts who are looking like they will earn an ELC. Nobody else really comes close right now.

I don't think the Douglas contract comes this year, and maybe not even in the offseason, but I think he is given a guaranteed role with the Marlies next year (possibly including some more top 9 minutes) and if he shows well in the first 2-3 months, he gets his ELC at that point. Same happened with Marchment.

Petruzzelli is tougher. You have Kallgren and Woll. Scott could also be there, but I think it would be in the Hutch spot which doesn't make much sense for Petruzzelli anyways. Then there is the question about Kallgren willing to stick in an organization where he doesn't really have a clear path to the NHL.

If we are maximizing goalie development and depth, I think you start next year with both Woll and Kallgren, re-sign Scott for one more year in the Hutch spot to see if he can stay healthy, and then sign a guy like Taylor Gauthier to an AHL contract to split the ECHL with Petruzzelli.

Woll/Kallgren
Scott
---
Petruzzelli
Gauthier

Then we answer some questions: Does Kallgren have a future above a #3 with this organization or is willing to stay as a #3 beyond next year? Does Scott stay healthy? How is everyone performing and are they healthy? We will want Petruzzelli getting a chance and the answer to those questions will determine who is replaced by him in the AHL.

Beyond that, I think ideally it is something like Woll in the NHL as a full time backup, Kallgren as our #3 (or someone else if he doesn't want to stay or sucks) with Petruzzelli or Scott as the backup (it is unlikely going to be both), and Gauthier as the ECHL starter.

This doesn't include anyone we draft/sign in the future, including our Russian goalies. Although I imagine if our Russian goalies want to come to NA before they make the NHL, it won't happen for at least a couple of years.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Him and Petruzzelli are the main guys on AHL contracts who are looking like they will earn an ELC. Nobody else really comes close right now.

I don't think the Douglas contract comes this year, and maybe not even in the offseason, but I think he is given a guaranteed role with the Marlies next year (possibly including some more top 9 minutes) and if he shows well in the first 2-3 months, he gets his ELC at that point. Same happened with Marchment.

Petruzzelli is tougher. You have Kallgren and Woll. Scott could also be there, but I think it would be in the Hutch spot which doesn't make much sense for Petruzzelli anyways. Then there is the question about Kallgren willing to stick in an organization where he doesn't really have a clear path to the NHL.

If we are maximizing goalie development and depth, I think you start next year with both Woll and Kallgren, re-sign Scott for one more year in the Hutch spot to see if he can stay healthy, and then sign a guy like Taylor Gauthier to an AHL contract to split the ECHL with Petruzzelli.

Woll/Kallgren
Scott
---
Petruzzelli
Gauthier

Then we answer some questions: Does Kallgren have a future above a #3 with this organization or is willing to stay as a #3 beyond next year? Does Scott stay healthy? How is everyone performing and are they healthy? We will want Petruzzelli getting a chance and the answer to those questions will determine who is replaced by him in the AHL.

Beyond that, I think ideally it is something like Woll in the NHL as a full time backup, Kallgren as our #3 (or someone else if he doesn't want to stay or sucks) with Petruzzelli or Scott as the backup (it is unlikely going to be both), and Gauthier as the ECHL starter.

This doesn't include anyone we draft/sign in the future, including our Russian goalies. Although I imagine if our Russian goalies want to come to NA before they make the NHL, it won't happen for at least a couple of years.
I'm not giving development priority to Scott over Petruzzeli at this point. Petruzzeli is also not going back to the ECHL after posting a .930sv% in his rookie season, so he'll be in the mix for the Marlies as you said. Scott is a massive reclamation project at this point and i'd look at loaning him out or giving him a full ECHL season.

Douglas was also name-dropped by Dubas twice in the past couple weeks with regards to AHL options. He mentioned that they will look at converting a couple AHL deals to ELC's closer to the TDL, and Douglas should absolutely be given one IMO. If they are even mentioning his name in regards to call-up options, I doubt they wait another full year to convert him.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm not giving development priority to Scott over Petruzzeli at this point. Petruzzeli is also not going back to the ECHL after posting a .930sv% in his rookie season, so he'll be in the mix for the Marlies as you said. Scott is a massive reclamation project at this point and i'd look at loaning him out or giving him a full ECHL season.

Douglas was also name-dropped by Dubas twice in the past couple weeks with regards to AHL options. He mentioned that they will look at converting a couple AHL deals to ELC's closer to the TDL, and Douglas should absolutely be given one IMO. If they are even mentioning his name in regards to call-up options, I doubt they wait another full year to convert him.

The point is getting Petruzzelli playing time. He gets playing time in the ECHL. He won't get much on the Marlies with Woll and Kallgren.

It is fine for Scott to sit in the Hutch spot because a lighter workload is probably ideal for him anyways, and we will want him close to our medical staff/trainers (aka not in Newfoundland). If he can show up well in that lighter workload, then maybe he gets loaned out for more opportunities or plays more for the Marlies.

I guess it is possible for Petruzzelli to be signed to an ELC and just be loaned out away from the Marlies the entire year, with a guy like Gauthier playing as the ECHL starter. That may make more sense if the Leafs are confident committing to him based on his ECHL resume. We did do that with Kaskisuo when we had both Sparks and Pickard in 2017-2018. We would need to find a team willing to take him, however.

As for Douglas, he is not factoring into the Leafs' plans this year (or likely next year), so there is no rush to waste a valuable contract spot on him yet. I would definitely keep one warm for him next year, but we have another year on his AHL deal. No rush.

I look at him like Marchment. Marchment had a 26 point season in 44 games, mostly in the Marlies' bottom 6, and received another one year AHL contract. In the middle of that contract, in a year where he finished with 25 points in 44 games playing in a more regular role, he received his ELC.

Douglas has 18 points in 39 games right now mostly playing bottom 6 minutes. If he follows up next year with another similar or better showing with more regular minutes, he should get his ELC. Same thing we as we did with Marchment, and likely should have done with Gogolev.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yea that's the main thing that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm actually more interested in Jack Kopacka. Has a few warts, but has some interesting hockey sense that could see him make his way in the NHL. If not on the Leafs than somewhere.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not so hot. Not productive, getting scratched lately.
Might be a candidate for demotion to get going. Especially when Ovchinnikov rolls in.

Gogolev has been hurt for weeks.

Or maybe he was sick. It was something off-ice that has been ailing him.

They try to get him into the odd game but pretty much since the end of January, there was something that was not 100% about him.

They even played 7D yesterday. IDC how bad he has been, there is no way the Marlies are deciding to play Krys as a 7th over Gogolev.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Gogolev has been hurt for weeks.

Or maybe he was sick. It was something off-ice that has been ailing him.

They try to get him into the odd game but pretty much since the end of January, there was something that was not 100% about him.

They even played 7D yesterday. IDC how bad he has been, there is no way the Marlies are deciding to play Krys as a 7th over Gogolev.
Didn’t know about the injury/illness.
Very tight lipped as a rule down there.
Still underwhelming year for him, needs to get going. Maybe 5-10 games in the ECHL would get him going.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I really hope the Leafs can sign Meyers.

I am surprised we havent heard more about Meyers and where he may end up.
Seems to be exactly who the Leafs have been successful in getting the last few years.

With our lack of NHL depth at C (loosing Brooks twice on waivers really sucks) that is under 25, he could be the 1st spare C (Depending on how you view Steeves), and if there is an injury get some playing time this year.
He is pretty solid in all situations, and is a real hard worker.

Reactions: aingefan

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Skating, skating, skating.
He doesnt look atrocious by AHL standards, but his skating is no where near NHL caliber yet.
I hope we just dedicate his entire off season plan to working on his lateral movement and acceleration.

A guy his size doesnt need to have good top end speed, if he can move laterally enough with decent acceleration he can cover a ton of space in the defensive zone. He already uses his reach really well defensively and when he has the puck.

IMO hes a guy that if he can develop his skating to be even just league average (which right now seems like a pretty big increase) he can become a more modern day version of Brian Boyle. Great 4th liner who can PK and shut other teams down effectively on the cycle, who can also protect his teammate just by being present.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Didn’t know about the injury/illness.
Very tight lipped as a rule down there.
Still underwhelming year for him, needs to get going. Maybe 5-10 games in the ECHL would get him going.

Or 5-10 games not slumming it with guys like Kopacka and Clune on the 4th line.

I see why they are doing it; they want to improve his defensive responsibility. The thing is, Clune and Kopacka aren't exactly great defensive players in their own right. Douglas is arguably the best guy he plays with on that 4th line and even Douglas is not going to be known to put up points.

Let him play with SDA for a bit or something.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Marlies on the tube today?
Toronto Marlies Host Amerks’ In Second Half Of Home-And-Home – Toronto Marlies

February 27, 2022

The Toronto Marlies host the Rochester Americans on Sunday afternoon at Coca-Cola Coliseum. The two teams are finishing out the second half of a weekend home-and-home series. Toronto blanked Rochester on Saturday afternoon 4-0.

The Marlies are 7-2-1-0 in their last 10 games, while the Amerks’ are 3-5-1-1. Rochester will be playing their third game in as many days on Sunday afternoon, having played the Marlies on Saturday, and Syracuse on Friday night.

A player to watch on the Marlies is Alex Steeves. The rookie has points (3-4-7) in four consecutive games and is currently third in team scoring with 31 points overall this season. Joey Anderson also has 10 points (5 goals, 5 assists) in his last seven games. He recorded his fifth three-point game of the season in Saturday’s matchup. On the Amerks’ side, rookie JJ Peterka leads the team in points with 42 so far this season.

The Marlies are pleased to welcome fans back to Coca-Cola Coliseum. If you are planning to attend an upcoming Marlies game, all updated protocols and guidelines can be found HERE.

Puck drops at 4:00 PM EST on Leafs Nation Network and AHLTV.
Fans can also follow along on Twitter (@TorontoMarlies) for game updates.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Or 5-10 games not slumming it with guys like Kopacka and Clune on the 4th line.

I see why they are doing it; they want to improve his defensive responsibility. The thing is, Clune and Kopacka aren't exactly great defensive players in their own right. Douglas is arguably the best guy he plays with on that 4th line and even Douglas is not going to be known to put up points.

Let him play with SDA for a bit or something.
Maybe with NickRob up.
Where’s JHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad