Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marlies lose 6-4. Bad defence and Woll looking like how he has looked for 2 years, and Moore thinking Clifford being on the ice with 1:28 down one is a good idea, while Robertson is stapled to the bench.

Thats Babcock having the 4th line out down 1 level of incompetence.

For giving up 5 goals, Woll actually didn't look that bad to me. He didn't have a chance on some of those goals.

Reactions: stickty111

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Ya that one had a stench to it for sure.

I am very confused with the Robertson usage as well. It's hard for this kid to take games over with the way he is being used at the current moment.

Steeves on the other hand is a stud. This was such an underrated pickup.
Maybe they’re easing their way in with Robertson coming off a pretty serious injury that sidelined him for a decent amount of time.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
For giving up 5 goals, Woll actually didn't look that bad to me. He didn't have a chance on some of those goals.
INJURY prone has missed a lot of time since turning PRO

Last edited by a moderator:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe they’re easing their way in with Robertson coming off a pretty serious injury that sidelined him for a decent amount of time.
Ya I wouldn't doubt that is part of it. I feel like he's ready to assume a bigger role, at least offensively.

Not sure How much I love SDA on the same line as him as well. They tend to get hemmed in their own end from time to time. Both of their defensive anticipation is not where it needs to be at the current moment. Far too often there are shifts where they essentially chase the game.

I don't know if Nick will ever be a line driver at the pro level. But in fairness, there are not many play driving wingers in the NHL. Especially not snipers. To me, good snipers need to have good complimentary players on their line to bring out the best of that skillset. I actually think he'd do better with Blandisi or Suomela. They play a far more physical brand of hockey and would create more space for Nick to unload that shot. Just feel like Nick/SDA play without the puck too much. But maybe that's just my perspective

Reactions: Macman

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Ya I wouldn't doubt that is part of it. I feel like he's ready to assume a bigger role, at least offensively.

Not sure How much I love SDA on the same line as him as well. They tend to get hemmed in their own end from time to time. Both of their defensive anticipation is not where it needs to be at the current moment. Far too often there are shifts where they essentially chase the game.

I don't know if Nick will ever be a line driver at the pro level. But in fairness, there are not many play driving wingers in the NHL. Especially not snipers. To me, good snipers need to have good complimentary players on their line to bring out the best of that skillset. I actually think he'd do better with Blandisi or Suomela. They play a far more physical brand of hockey and would create more space for Nick to unload that shot. Just feel like Nick/SDA play without the puck too much. But maybe that's just my perspective

SDA and Robertson compliment each other well offensively.

Defensively, Robertson is not bad. Could use more work, as is the case for most guys his age, but he can hold his own (and he PK's too). The main thing is that we use him on an offensive line where his linemates are usually worse defensively than he is (SDA included).

Quite frankly, I am totally okay with moving SDA. He is a great playmaker, has great chemistry with Robertson, and he is starting to use his shot more, but I have always had doubts about whether he can stick at center in the NHL and I am not exactly sure where he fits on a team like ours. His defensive game needs a lot of work to make it in our bottom 6, and his offensive game is not good enough to make it in our top 6.

That being said, to another team that is rebuilding or lacks offensive upside in their pool, there could be an attractive trade chip. He is only 21 and his offensive tool kit is quite impressive. SDA is probably the prospect which makes the most sense for the Leafs to move at this point.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
SDA and Robertson compliment each other well offensively.

Defensively, Robertson is not bad. Could use more work, as is the case for most guys his age, but he can hold his own (and he PK's too). The main thing is that we use him on an offensive line where his linemates are usually worse defensively than he is (SDA included).

Quite frankly, I am totally okay with moving SDA. He is a great playmaker, has great chemistry with Robertson, and he is starting to use his shot more, but I have always had doubts about whether he can stick at center in the NHL and I am not exactly sure where he fits on a team like ours. His defensive game needs a lot of work to make it in our bottom 6, and his offensive game is not good enough to make it in our top 6.

That being said, to another team that is rebuilding or lacks offensive upside in their pool, there could be an attractive trade chip. He is only 21 and his offensive tool kit is quite impressive. SDA is probably the prospect which makes the most sense for the Leafs to move at this point.
Yup I agree. I am not sure I see any avenue for SDA to make the Leafs. Never really been all that high on him TBH. He has good vision, but his play away from the puck is no where near where it needs to be to play center at the next level. It's hardly where it needs to be to play center at the American League level. Not entirely sure how much value he holds league wide TBH, but he could be thrown in any trade as a sweetener. But in all reality I view his equivalent value as no more than a 5th rounder.

Reactions: nuck

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
There are a ton of teams in the AHL, but very few of them, are in hockey starved venues.

Look at the CFL. Somehow still going.

The AHL? In London Ontario? In Kitchener?

Would be immensely popular.

But the junior kingpins, the Knights and the Rangers, seem to have a strangle hold, on both cities.

The AHL, now, is a serious league, with all the kids programs now, for skating etc... the level of hockey, has exploded.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
There are a ton of teams in the AHL, but very few of them, are in hockey starved venues.

Look at the CFL. Somehow still going.

The AHL? In London Ontario? In Kitchener?

Would be immensely popular.

But the junior kingpins, the Knights and the Rangers, seem to have a strangle hold, on both cities.

The AHL, now, is a serious league, with all the kids programs now, for skating etc... the level of hockey, has exploded.
Kanata and Brantford could probably support an AHL team, possibly Cornwall and Woodstock as well. There's a few spots that do not have an OHL team that would be decent.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Kanata and Brantford could probably support an AHL team, possibly Cornwall and Woodstock as well. There's a few spots that do not have an OHL team that would be decent.
Along the Brantford Cambridge Kitchener corridor, I’d think you’re right.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kanata can't support an NHL team. lol

Just had to get dig at Ottawa in there as I live on the outskirts East.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I was shocked in many ways when my wife forced me to move to kitchener from toronto. The fact that kitchener had zero restaurants of any quality, no good tennis players, no decent tennis courts, no outdoor artificial ice pads, no decent bike trails within the city, were a horrible shock.

But to find out, that I couldn't buy a ticket to watch the kitchener rangers from a scalper at the venue, was right up there as well.

Heck I finagled a pair of farmers to sell me their front row tickets in Milwaukee to watch Micheal Jordan was far easier than getting a Kitchener fan to sell me a pair. Ridiculous.

Kitchener/Cambridge/Guelph area could for sure, support an AHL team.

Its close enough to toronto, surprised they don't move the marlies here, it would be a money maker, and it would possibly get the players to try just that little bit harder to avoid being sent down.

Its wickedly expensive in Toronto, guys on AHL salaries, must find it tough to make do.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I was shocked in many ways when my wife forced me to move to kitchener from toronto. The fact that kitchener had zero restaurants of any quality, no good tennis players, no decent tennis courts, no outdoor artificial ice pads, no decent bike trails within the city, were a horrible shock.

But to find out, that I couldn't buy a ticket to watch the kitchener rangers from a scalper at the venue, was right up there as well.

Heck I finagled a pair of farmers to sell me their front row tickets in Milwaukee to watch Micheal Jordan was far easier than getting a Kitchener fan to sell me a pair. Ridiculous.

Kitchener/Cambridge/Guelph area could for sure, support an AHL team.

Its close enough to toronto, surprised they don't move the marlies here, it would be a money maker, and it would possibly get the players to try just that little bit harder to avoid being sent down.

Its wickedly expensive in Toronto, guys on AHL salaries, must find it tough to make do.

A lot of them live further west, because that is where the training facility is. It is expensive pretty much everywhere but it is cheaper outside of the city.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
He keeps improving. He was always a long-term project but seems like he's been really turning it on this season.
His skill is amazing. If he can improve his strength and defensive play, I truly think he will be a 3rd line NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad