Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I am very interested to see what Mattinen can bring to our organization again. 6'05 right shot defensemen don't necessarily grow on trees, so he will most certainly have a leg up on his competition down in the minors for a potential call up next season. Not to mention this is a guy who is entering the prime of his career, and has a couple years pro under his belt already.

He was always a prospect that I never really tracked all that hard. Just seemed to be drafted and forgotten about. Maybe it was because he was the 2nd to last selection of our 2016 draft class that included 11 players, one of which was Auston Matthews. Maybe he kind of got lost in the shuffle. I do remember the frame and always kind of hoped a player would come from that frame, but I genuinely had him written off when he went to Usports.

Looks like he's done really well for himself in Europe thus far. He won the DEL player of the year, which is no small accomplishment. Of course that is not even likely a top 5 league in the world at this point, but it is definitely not an accomplishment to brush aside either.

Just looking at some youtube clips of his and he seemingly walks the blue line with poise, skates decently well and looks to have a bomb. I really wonder if this is one of those situations where he just kind of needed some time to develop his game. Certainly looks like a player from the limited clips I have seen from him

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Grebenkin coming over next year would be huge.

Say what you will about the KHL developing players, but Magnitigorsk really helped Grebenkin out loaning him to Khabarovsk last season. He got to play meaningful minutes in the KHL last year, now this season he's had the chance to be one of the key players on a team making a deep run in the playoffs. If he comes over to NA next year, his development path will have basically been as perfect as it could be.

Knies, Robertson, Grebenkin, Minten, and Cowan is a really strong group of cheap young forwards in our system behind Matthews, Marner, Nylander.

I really like Robertson and think there's a good chance he'll score 30 in the NHL at some point, but with all these kids upfront and really nothing besides Niemela on the back-end, you have to think we could look to move Robertson + for a young D in the off-season.
Yes Nicky Bobby has had a pretty steady improvement every year. I think another club needing some scoring could look at him as a high value asset. If they intend to lock up Mitch for 8 years there isn't really an optimal spot for what NR brings. If he can be more than a 15:00 a night guy it won't be with the Leafs. If they move him I do hope they manage to sell high.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I am very interested to see what Mattinen can bring to our organization again. 6'05 right shot defensemen don't necessarily grow on trees, so he will most certainly have a leg up on his competition down in the minors for a potential call up next season. Not to mention this is a guy who is entering the prime of his career, and has a couple years pro under his belt already.

He was always a prospect that I never really tracked all that hard. Just seemed to be drafted and forgotten about. Maybe it was because he was the 2nd to last selection of our 2016 draft class of 11 players, one of which was Auston Matthews. Maybe he kind of got lost in the shuffle. I do remember the frame and always kind of hoped a player would come from that frame, but I genuinely had him written off when he went to Usports.

Looks like he's done really well for himself in Europe thus far. He won the DEL player of the year, which is no small accomplishment. Of course that is not even likely a top 5 league in the world at this point, but it is definitely not an accomplishment to brush aside either.

Just looking at some youtube clips of his and he seemingly walks the blue line with poise, skates decently well and looks to have a bomb. I really wonder if this is one of those situations where he just kind of needed some time to develop his game. Certainly looks like a player from the limited clips I have seen from him

At 1:20 it's our very own Dennis Hildeby stoning Mattinen on a breakaway lol, pretty cool.

horner

May 22, 2007
Some people just don’t get hockey.

“The four teams with the tallest defensemen have all won the cup in the past 5 seasons. St. Louis, the two Tampa wins and last years Vegas teams were teams with very tall defensemen.”
Tough
Brick wall
Blocked alot of shots

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Little more on Mattinen, just saw this come across my twitter timeline and figured I'd share. Obviously it is a complete reach to draw comparables for Nick to established NHL players as he is still very much a long shot to making the NHL, but the way he skates with and without the puck give me major John Klingberg vibes.

Not sure if Nick's defensive game is as poor as John's is/was, but he really looks to have a strong offensive instinct. Particularly on the PP and in transition. He moves very well for a big man IMO. At least that's what I am taking from the highlight packs.

Maybe it's my Leafs bias shining through, but he looks like a real player IMO. I can only assume the reason he never worked out in NA was because his defensive instincts are shit. But all that said, he's still on the right side of 30 and could easily develop that aspect of his game further.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yes Nicky Bobby has had a pretty steady improvement every year. I think another club needing some scoring could look at him as a high value asset. If they intend to lock up Mitch for 8 years there isn't really an optimal spot for what NR brings. If he can be more than a 15:00 a night guy it won't be with the Leafs. If they move him I do hope they manage to sell high.
Give him a year with JT and MM, wait for him to pot 30, have cap space to absorb the risk of offers, and then auction - if you insist on selling high.
Ftr, I want none of Lili/NR/Pontus moved, but I get that you have to give to get and there are probably deals to be made that make sense. You just absolutely can’t use these guys to acquire guys that make more money or more money sooner, imo.
And looking forward to seeing Mattinen play some day :p

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Give him a year with JT and MM, wait for him to pot 30, have cap space to absorb the risk of offers, and then auction - if you insist on selling high.
Ftr, I want none of Lili/NR/Pontus moved, but I get that you have to give to get and there are probably deals to be made that make sense. You just absolutely can’t use these guys to acquire guys that make more money or more money sooner, imo.
And looking forward to seeing Mattinen play some day :p
I remember his overage year and all that offense. 6'5" there had to be something there right? And then he ends up OUAA. But now a free wallet bookend to Benoit.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I remember his overage year and all that offense. 6'5" there had to be something there right? And then he ends up OUAA. But now a free wallet bookend to Benoit.
Yeah, who knows, maybe ya strike gold a second year on the backend.
It’s something I’ve been wondering - if the team really likes Topi (like I do) maybe they just look for a placeholder for a year? Maybe this is it, with a chance for more based on the guy’s development?
I was thinking someone like Brendan Smith for that role.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah, who knows, maybe ya strike gold a second year on the backend.
It’s something I’ve been wondering - if the team really likes Topi (like I do) maybe they just look for a placeholder for a year? Maybe this is it, with a chance for more based on the guy’s development?
I was thinking someone like Brendan Smith for that role.
I was mostly kidding although as you say, always a maybe. If you want to be really optimistic his 19 year old and overage seasons are kind of similar to Muzzin's and unless he became soft while morphing into the Deutch Larry Robinson their overall games were somewhat alike.

Nicolas Mattinen Scouting Report​

Courtesy of the 2016 NHL Draft Black Book

Mattinen was selected in the 6th round of the 2014 OHL Priority Selection Draft by the London Knights out of the Eastern Ontario Wild Minor Midget Program. Mattinen spent his 16 year old season with the Cumberland Grads of the CCHL. This first season saw him caught behind a mix of skilled and veteran blueliners which saw him as a healthy scratch in about half of the games this season. He would fill in at forward on occasion.

Mattinen is a big bodied defender with an excellent frame and NHL ready size. He is a physical defender who loves to take the body and crush the opposition. He does a good job of keeping himself a powerful physical opponent while keeping it pretty clean as well. He uses his body and stick well to defend, but he can be a little clumsy at times as his coordination is catching up to his body still. He is a little hit or miss with the puck but is at his best when making simple decisions. Unlike a lot of big physical shutdown defenders, Mattinen has an offensive weapon which can help him contribute at the other end of the ice; a NHL level slap shot. Mattinen is a threat to either score or create a rebound whenever he touches the puck on the offensive blueline. He has a low, powerful blast which has hit the back of the net, but can also be very difficult for goaltenders to control let alone contain and has resulted in second chances in the slot.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He was drafted as an offense first d man… not sure about physicality or defense

I remember him from his draft year

Most of us knew nothing about him because he was buried in London his draft year, I think he was picked in the 6th round and basically everybody on the board went who?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I thin nick will score 40 once he is away from us. Shame because he has no place in our top 6. I believe we will regret giving him up.
I think we trade kampf and Jarnkrok this off season to help our cap.

Reactions: Altair

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I thin nick will score 40 once he is away from us. Shame because he has no place in our top 6. I believe we will regret giving him up.
I think we trade kampf and Jarnkrok this off season to help our cap.
I think we jeep one of them for defensive purposes, preferably Jarnkrok

Reactions: LeafChief

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Be interesting to see if he’ll continue to get hosed more for toi or not, given it’s the finals.

Especially if you use macadamias.

I am assuming around the time they realized he was committed to being NA bound after the season is about the time his ice time was stripped back.

Grebyonkin has been hot garbage these playoffs apart from the opening series vs Amur.
He started with loads of ice time, but his responsibilities and TOI have gradually declined commensurate to his level of play (and rightfully so). Same for disappointing high-scoring teammate Karpov.

Meanwhile Blackhawks pick Kantserov and Silantyev have been revelations. Unlike Grebyonkin they've upped their games exponentially during crunch time so Metallurg is rightfully going with them.

Let's hope Grebyonkin can get his **** together. He’s better player than he's currently showing.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Grebyonkin has been hot garbage these playoffs apart from the opening series vs Amur.
He started with loads of ice time, but his responsibilities and TOI have gradually declined commensurate to his level of play (and rightfully so). Same for disappointing high-scoring teammate Karpov.

Meanwhile Blackhawks pick Kantserov and Silantyev have been revelations. Unlike Grebyonkin they've upped their games exponentially during crunch time so Metallurg is rightfully going with them.

Let's hope Grebyonkin can get his **** together. He’s better player than he's currently showing.

There is speculation that Grebyonkin is playing hurt.

Also wouldn't be the first time a player got reduced ice time when the team knows the player is leaving for North America.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I remember him from his draft year

Most of us knew nothing about him because he was buried in London his draft year, I think he was picked in the 6th round and basically everybody on the board went who?

Seems to be pretty well received at the time and lots of people (seemingly) knew him because of Marner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Seems to be pretty well received at the time and lots of people (seemingly) knew him because of Marner
$250k in minors.

Excellent salary

Reactions: uncleben

horner

May 22, 2007
The organization is doing an about face in prospects and the type we need. We no longer need small, soft, skill wingers to win a cup. Whew! The Dubas era is finally ending.
Dubas never realized you need both and player with snarl or as Treliving says it players with another finally have a team that stands up for one another..

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
There is speculation that Grebyonkin is playing hurt.

Also wouldn't be the first time a player got reduced ice time when the team knows the player is leaving for North America.

He might be injured, but coach Razin said he isnt. So who knows.

But you might wanna actually watch games and evaluate a players' current performances before resorting to the predictable "(Insert favorite Russian prospect) isn't getting playing time? The KHL is punishing him!
If people did this they'd realize Salavat wasn't benching Amirov, he was being diagnosed with cancer. Sibir wasn't punishing Ovchinnikov, he's just not very good.
Pretty much only SKA does that stuff anyways.

It's okay to critisize prospects instead of making up conspiracy theoroies to justify their poor play. Just saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad