Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yup. Part of me wants to see him on the right next year......next to.....Nylander! But, that would require a trade, of course.

Agreed.

I think we see Moore, Sandin, and maybe Bracco and Lily getting good shots next year.

Of course I only expect 1 or 2 to realistically have any shot, but changes will be happening up on the big club, so who knows.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
There's no indication he won't be able too.

But people had similar thoughts about Marner, and Kapanen, and Johnsson. So I'm not surprised.

I never had those thoughts on Marner, Kapanen or Johnsson... I always thought they'd be servicable NHLers... Since the draft, I've said Marner had Kane potential.

Bracco, I just don't see it. We'll find out in the next couple of years I guess. ;)

Looks like you can't admit being wrong.
When Bracco didn't produce, "he is not very good."
When Bracco produces, " he is overrated."

Did I hit a nerve? How am I wrong? Bracco hasn't even made the NHL, so there is nothing to be wrong about... yet. ;)

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Mitch just wasn't at a different level, he was in a different stratosphere. He's bigger, he's faster and a better skater, and was very impressive in the OHL.

I know what you are saying, and don't disagree with the level. Mitch is taller, but the playing weight is not far off, and in fact almost the exact same (MM 80kg and JB 78kg) so Bracco may even have a better center of gravity when on the puck.

Both skate equally well in my opinion, and each can do things better than the other. I almost prefer Braccos explosiveness over MM.

Also, Junior is a much easier league than AHL, so Bracco has been dealing with men this year and last (not saying MM didn't dominate) but he exclusively did it against kids.

I really think Bracco will surprise many. Sure, MM is special, but Bracco plays a similar game, with similar vision, and similar edges, against men.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I know what you are saying, and don't disagree with the level. Mitch is taller, but the playing weight is not far off, and in fact almost the exact same (MM 80kg and JB 78kg) so Bracco may even have a better center of gravity when on the puck.

Both skate equally well in my opinion, and each can do things better than the other. I almost prefer Braccos explosiveness over MM.

I hope I'm wrong :) ;)

But in some ways, I get Jerry D'Amigo-lite vibes from Bracco.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
As long as we keep drafting and developing well, I am happy.

Tampa needs to be the goal, keep filling our roster with Yanni Gourdes (not exactly like him, but draft well is my point)

Plus once we draft them, we need to have patience well they develop, and as long as well keep filling in our middle to bottom 6, we will be laughing.

Tampa is the gold standard in the NHL, and the way it should be done. I would not be surprised to see them as cup favs for the next 20 years if they keep the same system and management/scouting.

Like I won't be surprised if they sign Point, move some pieces out (and replace with prospects) and sign EK in the offseason, they are managed that well.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafChief

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Liljegren looking really good this game. It's good to see him finally comfortable and confident in his abilities and playing the way he did before we drafted him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Jerry D'Amigo didn't have the talent Bracco has.

Yeah Jerry was a pro at 19 and a better 20 year old but had zero growth against the AHL after that. I kind of think he didn't understand that he had to work harder every year. I was not a big Bracco fan because of his inconsistency in Junior but he has gotten consistently better against the league as time has gone on. And we don't know that he doesn't have another gear yet! Still a roll of the dice as with any prospect but you have to love his growth.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I’ve been a fan of his since the draft too.

I think his NHL future is broader than some also seem to think (some have penciled him as a top six or bust type) and I think he can play anywhere in the lineup

If he bulks up a bit he could be the prototypical 3rd liner of the future I think. You need guys who can hold on to the puck and not just chip and chase down there.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Jerry D'Amigo didn't have the talent Bracco has.

Nobody is claiming such.

I'd argue that D'Amigos U19-U21 seasons were more impressive than Bracco's. Bracco's U22 is looking far better... but he's far from a sure thing.

horner

May 22, 2007
As long as we keep drafting and developing well, I am happy.

Tampa needs to be the goal, keep filling our roster with Yanni Gourdes (not exactly like him, but draft well is my point)

Plus once we draft them, we need to have patience well they develop, and as long as well keep filling in our middle to bottom 6, we will be laughing.

Tampa is the gold standard in the NHL, and the way it should be done. I would not be surprised to see them as cup favs for the next 20 years if they keep the same system and management/scouting.

Like I won't be surprised if they sign Point, move some pieces out (and replace with prospects) and sign EK in the offseason, they are managed that well.
They have a grt tax systeme.
They can offer players a shit load less.
Look what we offered stamkos.

Good organization but they can pay players a shit load less.

Reactions: DanM

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Watched the game:
- I'm a big Sandin guy, but this was a poor outing for him. Nevertheless, he was relied upon in all important situations, which says a lot about him.
- Baptiste has something that's lacking on the Leafs/Marlies. He's a strong kid with the ability to create space for himself, especially on the boards. Very unlikely he ever sees icetime with Leafs, but he was noticeable today and seemed to compliment his linemates well. He could've had 3-4, and for me, that's more of a negative than anything. The ability to score is important, so if he can figure that out down the stretch, he may find himself as an option heading into the offseason.
- Liljegren has improved a lot since last year. Not sure he's ready for NHL time next season, but he looks way more polished, stronger and overall more confident than I can remember since the Leafs drafted him. Hoping he takes the next step and continues to draw from his creative side that helped hype him up as a young teen... very odd that there's a conception he's fallen off
- Brooks was solid today, as well... he's definitely added speed to his game since being drafted. Think he's got something
- Timashov is a player. Not sure why he gets slagged so much around here, but I see a lot of similarities to Nyquist/Tatar... think he's a real prospect. People forget that he's only 5 months older than Bracco. Lots of time for him to continue developing. He started real slow this season, but he's now already surpassed his career high numbers
- Engvall is progressing nicely ... could be a bottom-6 option. Unique development now that he's shown he can make plays from the middle of the ice. Still development that's needed, but I think he's got what it takes to take the next step
- none of the Growlers guys were particularly noticeable for positive reasons

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Watched the game:
- I'm a big Sandin guy, but this was a poor outing for him. Nevertheless, he was relied upon in all important situations, which says a lot about him.
- Baptiste has something that's lacking on the Leafs/Marlies. He's a strong kid with the ability to create space for himself, especially on the boards. Very unlikely he ever sees icetime with Leafs, but he was noticeable today and seemed to compliment his linemates well. He could've had 3-4, and for me, that's more of a negative than anything. The ability to score is important, so if he can figure that out down the stretch, he may find himself as an option heading into the offseason.
- Liljegren has improved a lot since last year. Not sure he's ready for NHL time next season, but he looks way more polished, stronger and overall more confident than I can remember since the Leafs drafted him. Hoping he takes the next step and continues to draw from his creative side that helped hype him up as a young teen... very odd that there's a conception he's fallen off
- Brooks was solid today, as well... he's definitely added speed to his game since being drafted. Think he's got something
- Timashov is a player. Not sure why he gets slagged so much around here, but I see a lot of similarities to Nyquist/Tatar... think he's a real prospect. People forget that he's only 5 months older than Bracco. Lots of time for him to continue developing. He started real slow this season, but he's now already surpassed his career high numbers
- Engvall is progressing nicely ... could be a bottom-6 option. Unique development now that he's shown he can make plays from the middle of the ice. Still development that's needed, but I think he's got what it takes to take the next step
- none of the Growlers guys were particularly noticeable for positive reasons

Brooks is a beauty and Tima is really starting to look good, I have liked him since we drafted him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I’ve been a fan of his since the draft too.

I think his NHL future is broader than some also seem to think (some have penciled him as a top six or bust type) and I think he can play anywhere in the lineup

I don't mind him starting out on the 4th line on the Leafs along Gauthier TBH .. He could bring some offensive spark while playing in a sheltered role to get his feet wet. If he excels, he can earn himself a higher spot in the line up.

Not saying his 200 ft game is bad, but it will have to be proven to Babs' before he can get bigger minutes.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

We've got some good ones coming.

Have to think Sandin would go higher in a re-draft. His stock has really jumped since being picked 29th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino