Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition III

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Last night, Tampa's 3 scorers were Point, Cirelli and Joseph. What do they all have in common? Mid-round picks within the last 4 years (picked between 72-120) who have hit and are now regular contributors for the team.

The Lightning are drafting and developing wizards. We can't just rely on our 1sts (funny though, many teams can't even do that) and our Bergman special. Really need to unearth a contributor in the mid-rounds.
Tampa has also butchered the first round in recent years. Drouin was not a great pick for a top 5 guy. Connolly and Koekkoek haven't been close to good picks for where they were drafted. DeAngelo is a noted headcase.

Kucherov and Point off-set that, but Tampa are not drafting wizards, otherwise they wouldn't botch 1st rounders every so often.

Cirelli and Joseph are good prospects, but let's not group them in as clear hits yet.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
That check by Sandin. Solid, but he didn't go out the way to hit him. The forward basically ran into to a well positioned Sandin.
As a Dman, that's the way to make that play.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hopefully Woll leaves school next year instead of being a potential UFA the following summer. Sign Scott too. After seeing Sparks fumble on the NHL level, maybe it's a short path to the NHL if you're a Marlie in 2019/20.

Woll is apparently turning Pro after his NCAA season his done. He should be with the Marlies around March or so

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Woll is apparently turning Pro after his NCAA season his done. He should be with the Marlies around March or so
I believe Boston College has a pretty highly touted goalie coming in next season. This would suggest Woll may be turning pro once his NCAA season is over.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Scott has to get a ELC from the Leafs or he goes back into the draft this summer

Well yeah I assume they'll sign him to an ELC

Good to note that (currently) they're at 45/50 of their contract limit, so there is a lot of room moving forward. 22 of those contracts are up at the end of the season (either RFA or UFA) too.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
'He looks like a 12-year-old': Semyon Der-Arguchintsev is...
“He doesn’t care about anything. He just walks in and starts talking with everybody, even with Babs and all the Leafs guys. I told him a couple of simple things not to do, but he doesn’t care, he doesn’t listen,” Zaitsev said.

“He doesn’t need advice. He loves hockey as much as anybody I know. He’s a really good guy, unbelievable skill and hockey sense. He needs to get heavy and he still has lots of stuff to do – he’s a kid – but he’s unbelievable. Like everybody loves him here in the room. It’s ridiculous. He’s asking me for tickets to watch the game all the time when he’s got a day off, so he’s just a big fan.”
But 13 points in 21 games is 13 points in 21 games, and Der-Arguchintsev expected more of himself to start the season.

“It was a little slow start for me and I would say I wasn’t on the top of my production, right? Like my production will come, I’m just kind of more focused right now on maybe scoring more goals because I have only one goal right now. It’s something that I have to do because I’m an offensive player,” he said.

Wilson has met with Der-Arguchintsev a lot this season to help him take what he has (the raw talent) and fix the rest (the minus-17 rating he began the year with).

“He’s a good kid, Sem. He’s pretty quiet, he’s a pretty lowkey guy, but you can have a laugh with him and he likes to joke. He’s got a personality to him. He’s just a young man with some serious talent and it’s funny because he’s very strong on his skates and I think he’s very confident, so he’s strong off the ice too. I think he has that little aura of confidence that you need,” Wilson said.

Just because it hasn’t happened yet — the offensive explosion the Petes anticipate as around the corner — doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen. Der-Arguchintsev isn’t like any kid his age.

“He will take it to the next level. Toronto knows what they’re doing and they saw something in him that not just us but a lot of people see in him. He is working extremely hard. His accountability off the puck, it’s very important to him and he’s all in,” Wilson said. “He’s not far off the pace he was on last year and you’ve got to remember he’s a young 18, right? Maybe that doesn’t matter so much when we’re all 25 and 35 and all that but when you’re a kid it makes a difference.”

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
SDA article on theathletic:

- friends with zaitsev
- blends in with leafs dressing room seemlessly or Does things he’s not supposed to (tends to ignore some of zaitsev’s advice but probably in a good way) i got the impression he is immature but i could be wrong
- one of the last to leave after a practice
- spends lots of time at petes’ training facility
- lacksadasical, carefree, confident, high maintenance but reeks so much potential (vision, playmaking)
- family spent 45k to send him hockey private school (pretty big commitment imo)

“He’s f***ing stupid” - Pete’s coach on SDA

It was actually a really good article.

On another note, I get the feeling ryan macgregor will take an extra year with Sarnia.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Woll with two strong games vs UConn. A shut-out yesterday, and 2 goals on 30 shots today in a win. Hopefully, he maintains this strong start in conference play.

Reactions: Liminality

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Interesting read on SDA. He's up to 23 points in 27 games now... after 10 points in 6. 3 goals and 20 assists though, so needs a bit more scoring...

Reactions: hullsy47

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
SDA's forgotten 3rd round buddy having a similar season, after 2 assists in 7 to start the season Stotts has put up 8 goals and 9 assists in the last 17.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

If a Pete’s coach actually said that, SDA needs to be traded, STAT. Not having a subscription to the Athletic, I don’t know the context of the line. But maybe SDA also needs to smarten up.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

If a Pete’s coach actually said that, SDA needs to be traded, STAT. Not having a subscription to the Athletic, I don’t know the context of the line. But maybe SDA also needs to smarten up.
Yeah - can we get some context on this quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad