Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Dermott can replace Gardiner, hopefully Rosen can replace Dermott on the bottom pairing

Really no point assuming Sandin continues this development curve.

Dermott replaces Gardiner's spot. Rosen has to compete with a superior at the same age Sandin for the bottom pairing spot. Rielly already has top pairing locked up.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Dermott replaces Gardiner's spot. Rosen has to compete with a superior at the same age Sandin for the bottom pairing spot. Rielly already has top pairing locked up.

This doesn't even make sense. Leafs will milk Sandin on the AHL due to his age/contract advantage

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This doesn't even make sense. Leafs will milk Sandin on the AHL due to his age/contract advantage
I wouldn't be so sure of that, a kid with that kind of IQ could quickly earn a coaches confidence and the trajectory may be steep.

Reactions: saltming

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

If the Leafs think Sandin will help them win NHL games, he'll be on the main squad. That's the only real factor in the equation. They won't rush him if he's not ready, but if he's ready they won't hold him back because of the contracts.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think the above discussion illustrates that the Leafs are decently set up to provide a steady influx of defensemen as current NHLers like Hainsey and Gardiner have to leave. This has been turned around in a couple of years.

I am fairly concerned about the immediate to short term goaltending situation but have sincere optimism about the longer term goaltending possibilities. At the very least this Marlies' season seems to be teetering due to poor goaltending.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I doubt it.. we're loaded on the left side. Rosen is next on the docket

Dermott shifts up into Gardiners spot.. Rosen shifts in Dermott's
He could easily jump over Rosen by this time next year.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Last night, Tampa's 3 scorers were Point, Cirelli and Joseph. What do they all have in common? Mid-round picks within the last 4 years (picked between 72-120) who have hit and are now regular contributors for the team.

The Lightning are drafting and developing wizards. We can't just rely on our 1sts (funny though, many teams can't even do that) and our Bergman special. Really need to unearth a contributor in the mid-rounds.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

I agree. If Gardiner is gone Dermott gets bumped to the top4 and the bottom LHD is Rosen to lose... depending if Rosen resigns with Toronto

Last edited:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Last night, Tampa's 3 scorers were Point, Cirelli and Joseph. What do they all have in common? Mid-round picks within the last 4 years (picked between 72-120) who have hit and are now regular contributors for the team.

The Lightning are drafting and developing wizards. We can't just rely on our 1sts (funny though, many teams can't even do that) and our Bergman special. Really need to unearth a contributor in the mid-rounds.

Johnsson, Dermott, Hyman are all good non 1st picks

lol, the reality is 7 of the top 9 are 1st round picks with only Johnsson and Hyman being the only non 1sts

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Cirelli has about the same amount of points as Brown, a midrounder. Joseph 3 more points than Johnsson in 7 more games. We have midrounders like Bracco, Brooks and Grundstrom who are among our top prospects on the Marlies coming up in the next year or two. All midrounders.

Reactions: pacman25

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

And how many of Tampa's first rounders in the past several years have they actually kept? They do tend to trade them away, don't they?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
im for sure no goalie evaluator but I get a real good feeling about Woll, I think he is a legit goalie prospect as opposed to Scott who is possibly just having a career year

Don't forget Scott was the 9'th overall pick in the WHL bantam draft.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I agree. If Gardiner is gone Dermott gets humped to the top4 and the bottom LHD is Rosen to lose... depending if Rosen resigns with Toronto

I do not see why Rosen would not? It is not like he would be given a better chance elsewhere (both in terms of opportunity nor in terms of playing on a high level team), and he came to NA for a reason.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Cirelli has about the same amount of points as Brown, a midrounder. Joseph 3 more points than Johnsson in 7 more games. We have midrounders like Bracco, Brooks and Grundstrom who are among our top prospects on the Marlies coming up in the next year or two. All midrounders.

This is true, but Johnsson and Brown are basically the only 2 mid-late rounders we've developed recently. And they are both 24. Cirelli and Joseph are 21, so they would be directly comparable to Bracco, Brooks and Grundstrom. And I like those 3 (especially Grundstrom), but until they come to the Leafs, we aren't sure what we will get from them.

I'm just saying we need to hit on a few more prospects. Even if its just by 1 player each draft, that could make all the difference and ease the overall process of building and sustaining the team.

Reactions: LeafLoyalist

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I do not see why Rosen would not? It is not like he would be given a better chance elsewhere (both in terms of opportunity nor in terms of playing on a high level team), and he came to NA for a reason.

1st surprised you didn't call me out for saying humped instead of bumped :)

2nd maybe he misses the SHL and will get a better offer? IDK, i was mainly pointing out Rosen doesn't have a contact next year (same with Borgman but I don't think Toronto is going to offer a contract)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The way it’s going. Scott and Woll might both be too 5 among goalie prospects by the end of the seasom

Hopefully Woll leaves school next year instead of being a potential UFA the following summer. Sign Scott too. After seeing Sparks fumble on the NHL level, maybe it's a short path to the NHL if you're a Marlie in 2019/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad