Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm still learning to accept that many drafted prospects aren't going to get contracts under this regime. They seem to recognize that handing out ELCs too readily causes logjams. They take chances on players with the idea that the player grows substantially post-draft. If the player doesn't progress, they move on and maybe sign an European free agent in the prospect's place. In the end, Aaltonen, Borgman, Rosen, Lindholm and Soshnikov are a better collection than Middleton, Mattinen, Walker, Vesey, Toninato, etc.

Or a successful ECHLer who's stepped up and can fill a niche or need, such as Marchment has and the likes of Ferguson and Estephan (both centers) could shortly earn.

Reactions: JustAShadow

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sproul played 1 game and is now inactive? .. Corrado ?

Corrado was already signed and Sproul already moved onto Laval on a PTO. No idea what happened to him from there. Probably is still there.

Cumiskey went to Newfoundland.

Reactions: selltrade

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It mostly comes down to; he isn't better than Rielly, Gardiner, or Dermott.... He probably isn't even be better than Rosen or Sandin.

He can be a capable 3rd pairing LHD, but the Leafs have too much depth there. I don't know if they are going to trade him, to give him a chance elsewhere, but the value for such a player can't be too high... but what the Leafs get back, has to be enough to cover however he is helping out the Marlies have some success.

He was awful until the Marlies starting turning things around. Like Nielsen outplayed him more often than he should be. He is better now, he's been the 3rd best guy since Sandin has shown up, which is saying something.

I think the issue with him is that while he is physical and has great tools, he's really not that great of a defensive player. He's pretty much a better skating version of Nielsen, with a little bit more defensive IQ but still no where near enough to beat the guys ahead of him. On a team needing a young LD, he could be a good option. He's a perfect example of someone who is dealt for a 4th rounder and given a chance elsewhere, like Marincin and Soshnikov. That is the likely outcome for him, unless he is included in a trade sooner than that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ian Scott in net tonight for the WHL in the first game of the Canada/Russia series. Big chance to make a statement towards making the WJC team.

Reactions: LeafChief

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Scott has been very good this year. Nice to see growth from him. I kinda tucked him away in my mind as the longest of long shots, but he seems to be developing well. Hopefully we have a good problem with he and Woll down the line.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Scott's given up 1 goal through two plus periods (22 shots now) and has made some good saves early in the third.

He's big in net, covers a lot in his butterfly. Quiet in his crease right now

Game tied at 1

Reactions: LeafChief

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
All of Holmberg’s assists are primary assists. That’s usually a good indication.

I think that may be because the SHL are really quite harsh on who gets 2nd assists. It’s not like the NHL where you just have to touch it and you get an assist your pass has to play a big part in the goal. I remeber when we were all watching Nyander’s SHL season someone posted that in NA he would have been closer to 2ppg than the ppg he scored there. Doesn’t change Holmbergs good season though if anything adds to it

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
With the numbers Scott has been putting up how long till he starts garnering the Hype that Hart did last year. he has unbelievable numbers across the board and still he's not being given the admiration he deserves I know its a sample size thing but the kid has done pretty good considering the year and the team he had last year.

one thing which is encouraging is he has improved each year, he had a abysmal year when we drafted him but hes progressed nicely since

now we just need Woll to gain his footing again . would be nice to have a couple grade A goalie prospects coming up again. just hope we don't trade the wrong one like last time lol

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think the only way Scott gets that hype is if he keeps up his strong numbers and also is able to be the guy for Canada in the WJC putting up good numbers

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
With the numbers Scott has been putting up how long till he starts garnering the Hype that Hart did last year. he has unbelievable numbers across the board and still he's not being given the admiration he deserves I know its a sample size thing but the kid has done pretty good considering the year and the team he had last year.

one thing which is encouraging is he has improved each year, he had a abysmal year when we drafted him but hes progressed nicely since

now we just need Woll to gain his footing again . would be nice to have a couple grade A goalie prospects coming up again. just hope we don't trade the wrong one like last time lol

Hart put up .915, .918, .927, and .947 over 4 full seasons. The track record helps. Even if Scott put up .947 this season I'm not sure he'd even make the top 10 NHL goalie prospects ATM. 1 quality CHL season isn't enough, and since this is his last he'll have to have a solid AHL year before he even gets close to Hart's hype.

It's certainly encouraging, but goalies are voodoo, even Hart could bust, but the 4 years of track record with 1 ridiculous one makes it about as good as it gets in terms of goalie prospects. Scott has me excited but he's not touching Hart hype anytime soon.

Marlow88

Dec 29, 2013
Do you guys think that Matt Murray might be a similar parallel to Ian Scott? Murray put up a 2.57 GAA and 0.921 save % in his final year of junior with SSM, the numbers in the previous years not so good. Then he put up good numbers in his first year of the AHL (1.58 GAA, 0.941 save %).

Matt Murray did not really stand out until the first year in the AHL. Or do you guys recall if he was well thought of coming out of junior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad