Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition II

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Same problems as last season Salt

Hainsey is old and not top pair quality, Zaitsev is terrible in most statistical categories you'd wish to mention, unless Dermott or Ozhiganov can move up to the top 4 or we trade for a top 4 were going to continue to have the exact same issues
The issues I'm referring to is the structure of the defense. Last year they looked lost in the d zone but this year they are already more cohesive than last year. That's promising.

Reactions: I am Canadian

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The issues I'm referring to is the structure of the defense. Last year they looked lost in the d zone but this year they are already more cohesive than last year. That's promising.

There still a bit "chicken with the head cut off" inside there own zone, they aren't getting hemmed in as much recently but that type of stuff can fluctuate

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There still a bit "chicken with the head cut off" inside there own zone, they aren't getting hemmed in as much recently but that type of stuff can fluctuate
Of course there will be fluctuation but generally speaking much better overall

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Of course there will be fluctuation but generally speaking much better overall

We're playing less "high event" hockey which probably explains our lack of scoring recently but we've still got defensive issues

Rielly and Gardiner need better partners

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We still give up to many high danger chances and the Gardiner Zaitsev pairing hasn't been good enough for the amount of minutes they play

Unless Zaitsev starts to break even were going to struggle defensively
Leafs are much improved defensively. Last year they were 5th worst in xGA/60, this year they are 12th best so far

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Dzierkals doesn't need one anyways. Joshua probably not, but an AHL deal is going to be on the table for sure I would think. Or maybe he's dealt like Nolan Vesey was. He is a better version of Vesey after all (and can play center).

McGregor and Gordeev are on the fence. Could teeter towards an ELC or into the "close but not enough" tier that Desrocher, Middleton, Mattinen, Walker and Korostelev found themselves in.

I don't think McGregor does any one thing well enough to get a contract. Gordeev actually has some rare athletic gifts in his size and skating. Maybe that's worth investing something in.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
We're playing less "high event" hockey which probably explains our lack of scoring recently but we've still got defensive issues

Rielly seems to be having a pretty good season, i could be wrong or maybe you? ;)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I'm not talking about the parts but the way they are playing the system: much improved

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Leafs are much improved defensively. Last year they were 5th worst in xGA/60, this year they are 12th best so far

It's improved certainly, there's still personel issues and when we restrict the other team like we have recently we struggle to score ourselves, our sh% sucks over that period I'll admit, the 4th line is also waaaay better defensively which helps

Rielly seems to be having a pretty good season, i could be wrong or maybe you? ;)

Rielly is great, that doesn't make his partner the same thing however

I'm not talking about the parts but the way they are playing the system: much improved

The system? We still fire those long stretch passes a lot and Zaitsev/Hainsey struggleto get the puck out of our own zone with control

Don't want to be that guy, but this is the prospect thread people.

We may have got a little sidetracked

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It's improved certainly, there's still personel issues and when we restrict the other team like we have recently we struggle to score ourselves, our sh% sucks over that period I'll admit, the 4th line is also waaaay better defensively which helps

Rielly is great, that doesn't make his partner the same thing however

The system? We still fire those long stretch passes a lot and Zaitsev/Hainsey struggleto get the puck out of our own zone with control

Hainsey and Zaitsev are playing good hockey, Rielly is playing great hockey ... I see you have replaced Polak with Zaitsev, it will be another long season of ranting from you lol

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not saying they are going to NHL ready next year, but the Leafs really hoping there are ELC replacements for Gardiner and Hainsey in 2019/20. If they have go the NHL veteran route, the cap might dictate a Leaf forwards is traded.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Hainsey and Zaitsev are playing good hockey, Rielly is playing great hockey ... I see you have replaced Polak with Zaitsev, it will be another long season of ranting from you lol

We need to move this to the Leafs defense thread, then I'll tell you why Zaitsev is not a good top 4 defenseman

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
McGregor gives me Piccinich vibes. Maybe an AHL deal?

Gordeev is in a weird spot because his team is so god-awful. Last year he seemed to take great strides in his development. He's an interesting one for sure. I could see it going either way in terms of an ELC.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

Gordeev is in a weird spot because his team is so god-awful. Last year he seemed to take great strides in his development. He's an interesting one for sure. I could see it going either way in terms of an ELC.
I'd definitely like to keep both in the system, they both have some really interesting tools.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Pontus Holmberg has had a solid start to his SHL career as a 19 year old center. I would bet he gets an ELC as well.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver

Piccinich actually scored a ppg in his draft+2. Mcgregor struggles to achieve that. Unless mcgregor has advanced defensive game, his chances of even ahl contract are slim.

What is Gordeev’s defensive game like?

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Dzierkals doesn't need one anyways. Joshua probably not, but an AHL deal is going to be on the table for sure I would think. Or maybe he's dealt like Nolan Vesey was. He is a better version of Vesey after all (and can play center).

McGregor and Gordeev are on the fence. Could teeter towards an ELC or into the "close but not enough" tier that Desrocher, Middleton, Mattinen, Walker and Korostelev found themselves in.
To me, Gordeev is a guy who may turn out to be nothing. But if we make the wrong call on him, he could turn into one of those "How on earth did the Leafs pass up this guy" kind of players. He's just so toolsy, but his team is hilariously awful.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm still learning to accept that many drafted prospects aren't going to get contracts under this regime. They seem to recognize that handing out ELCs too readily causes logjams. They take chances on players with the idea that the player grows substantially post-draft. If the player doesn't progress, they move on and maybe sign an European free agent in the prospect's place. In the end, Aaltonen, Borgman, Rosen, Lindholm and Soshnikov are a better collection than Middleton, Mattinen, Walker, Vesey, Toninato, etc.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm still learning to accept that many drafted prospects aren't going to get contracts under this regime. They seem to recognize that handing out ELCs too readily causes logjams. They take chances on players with the idea that the player grows substantially post-draft. If the player doesn't progress, they move on and maybe sign an European free agent in the prospect's place. In the end, Aaltonen, Borgman, Rosen, Lindholm and Soshnikov are a better collection than Middleton, Mattinen, Walker, Vesey, Toninato, etc.

They are doing what every team does, 1st round pick is a ELC lock and the 2rd is almost a lock and that's about it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Does anyone know what the Leafs don't like about Borgman's game?

It mostly comes down to; he isn't better than Rielly, Gardiner, or Dermott.... He probably isn't even be better than Rosen or Sandin.

He can be a capable 3rd pairing LHD, but the Leafs have too much depth there. I don't know if they are going to trade him, to give him a chance elsewhere, but the value for such a player can't be too high... but what the Leafs get back, has to be enough to cover however he is helping out the Marlies have some success.

Reactions: Bronco Horvat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad