Marleau's GP is the most impressive thing in the NHL.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This comes down if you believe Mike Babcock because last season he claims he asked Marleau if he wanted to sit out a game or two before the playoffs because of his streak and he didn't want to, since Leafs fans were saying Marleau didn't deserve to play on some nights.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
This is dumb. You don’t “just show up” and play 1700 games in the NHL.

hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"

Figured the quotation marks were a dead giveaway, but alas, here I am having to explain myself.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I like when players like Marleau play for an extended period of time because it helps dispel the myth that players from other eras couldn’t compete in the “more modern, advanced NHL”.

He’s played well enough to keep a roster spot in 4 different decades and he’s merely been a “good” player over the course of his career.

But others will lead you to believe that legends of the game wouldn’t rip the league apart in any era.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Remember thinking to myself before the season started that I couldn't wait to see how many games Patrick Marleau played.
Imagine if HF existed in '97-98 and someone posted that Marleau will still be playing in '19-20 and posting the same stats. Imagine how much that poster would be ridiculed.

Imagine if a HF user in '97-98 made a poll asking will Marleau play in '19-20? Pretty sure it would be 100% no.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
This thread just shows how few people really consistently watched Marleau, maybe until he was a 38 year old in Toronto.

He did play with "intensity" except his brand of intensity was more in the mold of the intensity shown by Marc-Edouard Vlasic. He has always been a very positionally-sound player who used his strength for positioning and using his body to block out more than throwing big hits. He's also one of the best skaters of his generation, and isn't small. He absorbed plenty of hits over his career, and due to his strength, great skating, and luck, he has been able to maintain his health. For those who take Jeremy Roenick's assessment of Marleau into account, there's a fun story behind that, and I suggest you look it up.

I think what he's doing is as impressive as many of the scoring records, but just in a different way. If it was so easy, then more people would do it. I can be impressed by one guy's skill, and by one guy's drive, determination, and commitment. Yes, he isn't the best player in the world while doing so, but Marleau has had to be healthy, good, and lucky for this all to turn out the way it did. This is just his entire career, in a nutshell, though. All of the good things he has done over his career were not flashy or impressive enough for some, but anyone who watched him day in, and day out, realizes how impressive of a player he actually was.

He was top 10 in goals in the 2000s, and top 20 in the 2010s. This while being a very good defensive player. He will never be Ovechkin, and his record pursuit will never be the same type of thing as Ovechkin's pursuit, but some people in here are speaking out of a place of sheer ignorance about him and how he played. The world would be a much better place if people didn't feel the need to pretend they were experts on everything.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I'm hoping players like marleau and the sedins don't further weaken the HOF with inductions.

At least guys like recchi actually padded their stats with longevity. This is just average to slightly above average players who played for a long time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm hoping players like marleau and the sedins don't further weaken the HOF with inductions.

None of them would weaken the HOF with being inducted. It’s you who fail to put in the proper perspective how impressive their careers have been.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
So you think a guy who can stay healthy and relatively productive is more impressive than the greatest goal scorer in history reaching 700 goals and most people thinking he can beat Gretzkey's 894.

Cool take bro.

Completely wrong in EVERY facet, but cool take.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
None of them would weaken the HOF with being inducted. It’s you who fail to put in the proper perspective how impressive their careers have been.
I get it. You're a sharks fan so you have to latch onto your "great" moments and players because, minus Thornton, you've really not had any. But those who watch the real stars in the league don't see Marleau as even a top-25 player of the past decade.

Orr. Lemieux. Gretzky. Marleau. Of course!

Future hall of famer Jordan eberle has a higher PPG than marleau. If he plays a few more years, he's a shoe-in!

Let's make room for Alex Kovalev while we're at it!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I get it. You're a sharks fan so you have to latch onto your "great" moments and players because, minus Thornton, you've really not had any. But those who watch the real stars in the league don't see Marleau as even a top-25 player of the past decade.

Orr. Lemieux. Gretzky. Marleau. Of course!

Future hall of famer Jordan eberle has a higher PPG than marleau. If he plays a few more years, he's a shoe-in!

Just because he’s not an all time great doesn’t mean he’s not a hall of famer. That’s a stupid expectation that the HOF never held to. If Eberle played another 1000 games then he may be but you just are clueless as to how difficult 1700 games actually is to do.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Just because he’s not an all time great doesn’t mean he’s not a hall of famer. That’s a stupid expectation that the HOF never held to. If Eberle played another 1000 games then he may be but you just are clueless as to how difficult 1700 games actually is to do.
Patrick marleau career accomplishments:

Played a whole lot of games mostly at a 2nd/3rd line level.

Never won any major awards or led the league in any stat category minus the ever-so-important games played.

Nowhere near the top 250 players all time in PPG.

Only three all star selections in 22 seasons.

Career high 86 points at age 30.

Career minus player.

Good in the community and endeared by hometown fans who inflate his value.

I want this guy honored in the same place as Wayne Gretzky.

"Just because hes not an all time great doesnt mean he's not a hall of famer" lol wut.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA

At least guys like recchi actually padded their stats with longevity. This is just average to slightly above average players who played for a long time.

Posts like this are what I mean about people having no clue about Marleau. Argue about Hall of Fame all you want, but calling a guy who was top 20 in goals in 2 different decades "average to above average" is just objectively wrong.

Reactions: greasysnapper

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
His willingness to grind it out, stay healthy, and his longevity through fitness is actually impressive. He's still one of the most in shape people in the league. At least in the top 10%. People also forget how dominant he was. And its not like he's just coasting by, he's contributing and earning his keep. How many guys his age have been tossed aside in the new, faster NHL. It's a helluva feat. The fact that if he plays next year he's going to be the all-time GP leader? Amazing.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Patrick marleau career accomplishments:

Played a whole lot of games mostly at a 2nd/3rd line level.

Never won any major awards or led the league in any stat category minus the ever-so-important games played.

Nowhere near the top 250 players all time in PPG.

Only three all star selections in 22 seasons.

Career high 86 points at age 30.

Career minus player.

Good in the community and endeared by hometown fans who inflate his value.

I want this guy honored in the same place as Wayne Gretzky.

"Just because hes not an all time great doesnt mean he's not a hall of famer" lol wut.

Most of Marleau’s career was as a first liner so you’re only further proving your ignorance.

The last part only shows your ignorance on who is in the hall. There’s a lot of guys who are nowhere near Gretzky or Orr’s level in there.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Posts like this are what I mean about people having no clue about Marleau. Argue about Hall of Fame all you want, but calling a guy who was top 20 in goals in 2 different decades "average to above average" is just objectively wrong.
Sounds a whole lot like a slightly above average player who kept in good shape and produced at a second and third line level. I guess that's ok. I mean ...picks random hall of famer.... Mark messier played 25 seasons, won the Smythe, hart, and Pearson at least once, won six championships, scored at least 100 points six times, and went to 15 all star games. Yep. That's the same totally as having the 18th most goals scored in the 2010s. Take that *squints at list of players marleau finished above* Jeff Carter.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Most of Marleau’s career was as a first liner so you’re only further proving your ignorance.

The last part only shows your ignorance on who is in the hall. There’s a lot of guys who are nowhere near Gretzky or Orr’s level in there.

Keyword : level

15 of his 22 seasons he finished under 60 points. I can't really recall too many bonafide HOFers who were playing on the first line with that production their whole career.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
All this does is put into perspective how much more impressive Howe was.

70 game seasons.
Played 6 seasons in the WHA
Came back to the NHL at over 50 and put up better numbers than Marleau now.
No modern medicine
NHL was way tougher
Impressive indeed.

Although, I’d argue while the league was “tougher” in a nastiness sense, today’s league is way faster and arguably harder on the body. To be in the NHL today means you have to be in absolute peak physical condition, doing so @ 40+ is very impressive.

OP really derailed their own thread by comparing it Ovechkin, there’s no need or want to compare the two, an appreciation thread would’ve sufficed.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad