Marleau's GP is the most impressive thing in the NHL.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Perhaps consider Ovechkin's games played, considering his style of play:

81 82 82 79 72 79 78 48 78 81 79 82 82 81 56

Marleau's:

74 81 81 81 79 82 80 82 77 78 76 82 82 82 48 82 82 82 82 82 82 53

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Keyword : level

15 of his 22 seasons he finished under 60 points. I can't really recall too many bonafide HOFers who were playing on the first line with that production their whole career.

He’s not getting in because of his production. He’s getting because he’s played a career length that is pretty much unheard of while putting in 560+ goals. You don’t have to like it but it’s going to happen no matter what you respond with.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
He’s not getting in because of his production. He’s getting because he’s played a career length that is pretty much unheard of while putting in 560+ goals. You don’t have to like it but it’s going to happen no matter what you respond with.
See original comment. Sorry your franchise has been full of unspectacular.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Sounds a whole lot like a slightly above average player who kept in good shape and produced at a second and third line level. I guess that's ok. I mean ...picks random hall of famer.... Mark messier played 25 seasons, won the Smythe, hart, and Pearson at least once, won six championships, scored at least 100 points six times, and went to 15 all star games. Yep. That's the same totally as having the 18th most goals scored in the 2010s. Take that *squints at list of players marleau finished above* Jeff Carter.

Ok, so you are either a Hall of Famer, or a "slightly above average" 2nd/3rd line player. Also, I never said I thought he was a Hall of Famer.

If you think he is just average, then you don't understand what average is. Average to slightly above average players aren't All-stars multiple times, they don't win Gold Medals with Team Canada, and they don't finish top 10 in goals for a decade in a league that had over 1000 different players. (40th in g/gp, 66th in pts/gp)

Those are neither average numbers, nor near average numbers, both statistically and in practice.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Ok, so you are either a Hall of Famer, or a "slightly above average" 2nd/3rd line player. Also, I never said I thought he was a Hall of Famer.

If you think he is just average, then you don't understand what average is. Average to slightly above average players aren't All-stars multiple times, they don't win Gold Medals with Team Canada, and they don't finish top 10 in goals for a decade in a league that had over 1000 different players. (40th in g/gp, 66th in pts/gp)

Those are neither average numbers, nor near average numbers, both statistically and in practice.
Lol. Like his entire NHL career, I could go through a laundry list of more significant names on those team Canada rosters. If that's a criteria, let's get Chris kunitz in the HHOF. He's a scoring winger who has kept himself in shape. Good for him. Put him up for your teams ring of honor or whatever and give him some stupid ceremony. His impact on the league as a whole has been minimal. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. You've been clinging your teams hopes to this guy for some time. I know you've got a lot invested mentally in him. I get it, dude. I'm a penguins fan. Though his career is mostly marked with playoff failure, people still going around begging for Fleury back and clinging on to the regular season "wins" stat. Marleau is a quality goal scorer who has been durable but ultimately has produced like a second line player with the exception of a few seasons. Games played is impressive but ultimately shouldn't be a major reason for HOF inclusion as better players exist that aren't even sniffing it.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Lol. Like his entire NHL career, I could go through a laundry list of more significant names on those team Canada rosters. If that's a criteria, let's get Chris kunitz in the HHOF. He's a scoring winger who has kept himself in shape. Good for him. Put him up for your teams ring of honor or whatever and give him some stupid ceremony. His impact on the league as a whole has been minimal. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. You've been clinging your teams hopes to this guy for some time. I know you've got a lot invested mentally in him. I get it, dude. I'm a penguins fan. Though his career is mostly marked with playoff failure, people still going around begging for Fleury back and clinging on to the regular season "wins" stat. Marleau is a quality goal scorer who has been durable but ultimately has produced like a second line player with the exception of a few seasons. Games played is impressive but ultimately shouldn't be a major reason for HOF inclusion as better players exist that aren't even sniffing it.

You just make it abundantly clear that you ignore all evidence to support your narrative. I list a bunch of stats and accomplishments. Your response: There was once a bad player on Team Canada, but I'm going to continue to ignore everything else because I say he's a 2nd liner.

You are just flat out wrong about him, but it's clear I'm wasting my time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
See original comment. Sorry your franchise has been full of unspectacular.

Sorry that you’re completely ignorant to what makes a Hall of Famer. People like you get proven wrong quite regularly. Marleau is going to the hall and you’ll just have to learn to deal with being comically wrong.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Marleau is probably the least impressive player to score 500 goals of all time, if not close.

Marleau playing that many games is only evidence of his health and endurance, not particularly his skill. It’s not like he’s been an elite player for even half of his career, but he hasn’t been terrible, just underwhelming compared to his peers who have played similar amount of games. He had a great 3-4 years where he was a great scoring winger. He isn’t a bad player, I would put him in the “HOVG” but definitely not a HOF worthy talent in my eyes.

700 goals is definitely more impressive and that isn’t debatable. Ovechkin has scored at a 47 goal and 80 point pace since 2015, Marleau at a 22 goal and 47 point pace. Don’t confuse staying healthy with actual top level consistency, even with Marleau, he hasn’t been an impactful player for many years, only good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad