Rumor: Marleau would probably accept trade to a contender

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don't think Marleau is going anywhere. Deep down, I wouldn't be surprised if he knows it as well. His legs are done, he doesn't have any speed or urgency. Veteran 4th liner - but honestly, you can do better.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
I sympathize with Marleau.

Yes, now it is a half-dead horse.
Maximum 6-7 st 2021.
I hope he can still kick.

Marleau - Stanley Cup Winner 2021?
I would be glad. :)

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
I would probably accept trade to a contender as well. So me and Marleau have at least two things in common. 1: We both would probably accept trade to a contender
2. There is no such contender who would want us

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Moving to a contender would probably see him miss out on that games played record, as there's no way that he's anything more than a 13th or 14th forward for a good team.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I mean sure, I would probably accept an offer to go to bed with Scarlett Johannson ... however the chances of it being offered to me are roughly the same as Marleau being wanted on a serious contender

Reactions: Auston Escobar

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If he wanted to play for a contender and take one last shot at winning the Cup, why did he sign with San Jose? Probably because the Sharks were the only team willing to actually play him so he could crawl his way to the all-time games played record.

Now that he's got that pretty much wrapped and has done nothing to show that he deserves to play in the NHL he's hoping another team will help him win that Cup, even if he's in the press box.

I have nothing against Marleau but this is pretty weak stuff. He should have retired a couple of seasons ago instead of embarrassing himself like this. He'll get the games played record (thanks to Ron Wilson), fine, but thankfully no other GM is going to gift him a Cup ring by putting him on the roster instead of a player that actually deserves it.

/rant

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
There is virtually no chance that Marleau gets picked up by any contender looking for a playoff run. The guy is done. He was a great foot soldier, but he has never won anything in the NHL so he doesn't even bring that experience to the table. The only reason he has a contract right now is that the Sharks are repaying his years of loyalty with helping him get to Howe's record. I like Marleau as he played the game the right way. But it's time for him to ride off into the sunset after this season, record or not.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
There is virtually no chance that Marleau gets picked up by any contender looking for a playoff run. The guy is done. He was a great foot soldier, but he has never won anything in the NHL so he doesn't even bring that experience to the table. The only reason he has a contract right now is that the Sharks are repaying his years of loyalty with helping him get to Howe's record. I like Marleau as he played the game the right way. But it's time for him to ride off into the sunset after this season, record or not.
You don’t have to win a cup to have playoff experience.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If he wanted to play for a contender and take one last shot at winning the Cup, why did he sign with San Jose? Probably because the Sharks were the only team willing to actually play him so he could crawl his way to the all-time games played record.

Now that he's got that pretty much wrapped and has done nothing to show that he deserves to play in the NHL he's hoping another team will help him win that Cup, even if he's in the press box.

I have nothing against Marleau but this is pretty weak stuff. He should have retired a couple of seasons ago instead of embarrassing himself like this. He'll get the games played record (thanks to Ron Wilson), fine, but thankfully no other GM is going to gift him a Cup ring by putting him on the roster instead of a player that actually deserves it.

/rant

Probably because with a pandemic going on, he wanted to be with his family in San Jose. Anybody telling any player when they should retire is being absolutely ridiculous. Why does anyone think he's embarrassing himself? He's not. He's being asked to fill a role on a team with quite a few young forwards on it without really being in their way if they play well.

Who is anyone here to tell any player when they should or shouldn't call it a career? Get over yourselves.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Does a contender accept Marleau? Isnt he a serious risk out there?

Marleau is only a risk if you decide to play him above the fourth line. In that case, it's on you.

Glue him to your fourth line and have him focus on forechecking and defense, and he'll be fine. He won't score, but he doesn't make many mistakes.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

/rant
First you say you don’t have anything against the guy after posting an entire paragraph dissing him, then you post more stuff dissing him, then you confuse the hall of fame Wilson with the former coach.

Nice steaming pile of shit all around.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
If I was a contender and talked to him about expectations I wouldn't hesitate to trade for him. Having him around the guys and the room would not hurt in the slightest. By all accounts sounds like a great guy and teammate. The question is whether he still wants to go when you lay out the expectations.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Probably because with a pandemic going on, he wanted to be with his family in San Jose. Anybody telling any player when they should retire is being absolutely ridiculous. Why does anyone think he's embarrassing himself? He's not. He's being asked to fill a role on a team with quite a few young forwards on it without really being in their way if they play well.

Who is anyone here to tell any player when they should or shouldn't call it a career? Get over yourselves.

He's clinging on just to get a record. He also left his family for 3 years to play in Toronto (only lasted two). Come on, let's not play this game: He went back to SJ hoping Wilson would do him a solid for all his years of service, almost certainly because no other GM would.

And now he's hoping a contender will pick up him when anyone who has seen him play the past couple of years will tell you he's no longer an NHL player.

As for me telling Marleau when to call it a career, of course it's not my place, but lets just see what happens over the next few weeks - if he gets his wish and a contender takes him on, and he actually plays more than 5 minutes a night, then apparently someone thinks he can still play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad