Rumor: Marleau would probably accept trade to a contender

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What exactly is Marleau supposed to add to a contender at this point? He'd make any line worse.

He seems like a nice, family friendly guy. Could be a mascot.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
FarawayDecisiveAcornwoodpecker-small.gif
Wow Ryan Clowe sighting forgot that dude existed. Shame his career was cut short.

Reactions: Groo

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
this is like a woman who has hit the wall after riding the carousel saying "I'm ready to settle down and get married to a nice guy"

retire already

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Every time I watch Marleau, he just looks like he's out there as a fifth body beer league floater shift.

He adds nothing to a contender

Reactions: vpasla1

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I guess going your whole career without a ring would make a player anxious about retiring without one, but at this point he's got to realize that any contender or playoff team that trades for him is likely going to leave him in the press box.

I don't know about Patty, but I'd rather tell the grandkids stories about the ring I almost got playing in a final, than the one I got for doing absolutely nothing.

Reactions: DarthProbert

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'd also be open to leaving my job to join a contender, doesn't mean the contender wants me though.

Exaggeration, but can't see there being much of a market for Marleau, at most being a throw-in in a deal as a favor to Marleau more than anything.

Marleau for an unwanted expiring contract as a favor to Marleau more than a gain for the acquiring team.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
With Jagr out of the NHL, I'm counting on the players my age - guys like Chara, Marleau, Thornton, etc. - to keep me from feeling (relatively) old. "There are still professional athletes my age" has been a comforting thought. Uh-oh.
honestly id take 49yr old Jagr in a heartbeat over Marleau at this point

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It is pretty far streched asking for other tezeams to call him and getting him to play for the playoffs..... he was a fine player, but our age will catch us sometimes sire. It doesn't matter though. I would be very surprised if anybody calls. It's over.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
With Jagr out of the NHL, I'm counting on the players my age - guys like Chara, Marleau, Thornton, etc. - to keep me from feeling (relatively) old. "There are still professional athletes my age" has been a comforting thought. Uh-oh.
Haha, I hear ya.

I sometimes re-think or re-read something about calling a player old or over the hill, then realize... that player is younger than me. WTF...

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Didn't he basically force the Leafs to burn a first because he would only go to a team that could buy him out so he could go home?

I feel thats doesn't build much good faith when now asking to get on a good team. Carolina seems to be doing fine, why didn't he just stay there?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Didn't he basically force the Leafs to burn a first because he would only go to a team that could buy him out so he could go home?

I feel thats doesn't build much good faith when now asking to get on a good team. Carolina seems to be doing fine, why didn't he just stay there?

After they told him they wanted to move on from him, yes. But considering he's on a 700k contract with a different team, I don't think anyone cares about that particular situation as it relates to this now.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
After they told him they wanted to move on from him, yes. But considering he's on a 700k contract with a different team, I don't think anyone cares about that particular situation as it relates to this now.

He seems to care as he is open to now trying to get on a playoff team. Them moving on from him has no bearing on his choice to use the NMC to get to only a team that would free him from his last year. If he was serious about winning, why not use the NMC to get onto a playoff team?

If none would do it because of cap on that Leafs contract, he certainly could have signed for 700k elsewhere after being boughtout. He chose SJ.

Bottom line is he wanted to go home, I think most people agree on that. So he can stay there. People laugh at Taylor hall saying he wanted to win and then signing in Buffalo, this is no different IMO.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He seems to care as he is open to now trying to get on a playoff team. Them moving on from him has no bearing on his choice to use the NMC to get to only a team that would free him from his last year. If he was serious about winning, why not use the NMC to get onto a playoff team?

If none would do it because of cap on that Leafs contract, he certainly could have signed for 700k elsewhere after being boughtout. He chose SJ.

Bottom line is he wanted to go home, I think most people agree on that. So he can stay there. People laugh at Taylor hall saying he wanted to win and then signing in Buffalo, this is no different IMO.

Caring about getting on a playoff team now has absolutely nothing to do with the fallout two years ago with Toronto. There's no sense in twisting yourself in pretzels trying to link the two. He chose going to San Jose so that he can spend the bulk of the season's time with his family then try and go elsewhere for a couple months to try and win the Cup. There's nothing wrong with this sort of decision. He gets to spend more time with his family and more of a certainty about who is a contender and who isn't. If a team wants him, they will trade for him and literally nothing about the Toronto situation will matter. If they don't, they don't. That's their choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad