Rumor: Marleau would probably accept trade to a contender

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
In a deep playoff run as an extra forward that plays some 4th line minutes, takes big faceoffs and gets some PP time would be the best role for him. In a pinch you can move him up for a shift or two, but not much more. It's like when the Rangers picked up Gilbert and Olyck for their '94 run.

Reactions: Trade

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
In a deep playoff run as an extra forward that plays some 4th line minutes, takes big faceoffs and gets some PP time would be the best role for him. In a pinch you can move him up for a shift or two, but not much more. It's like when the Rangers picked up Gilbert and Olyck for their '94 run.
Definitely do NOT trade for him to play second line wing like the Penguins ended up doing for some reason.

but realistically, if he’s anything other than a fourth liner playing like 8 minutes a night with some PP sprinkled in....you’re gonna have a bad time. If your PP gets better from adding the ghost of Patrick Marleau, you probably aren’t going deep anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Punisher

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Besides being the current leader in playoff game winning goals.

Don’t let facts get in your way, though.

The "Facts" as you put it are that he's actually only 9th on that list. You're twisting the stat that he's the active player leader and trying to give the impression that he's achieved much better than he actually has. He also hasn't scored a single playoff goal since the 2017-18 season. Don't get me wrong. I really like Marleau as a player. My point is that he's now too far gone to provide any help to a contender.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He's clinging on just to get a record. He also left his family for 3 years to play in Toronto (only lasted two). Come on, let's not play this game: He went back to SJ hoping Wilson would do him a solid for all his years of service, almost certainly because no other GM would.

And now he's hoping a contender will pick up him when anyone who has seen him play the past couple of years will tell you he's no longer an NHL player.

As for me telling Marleau when to call it a career, of course it's not my place, but lets just see what happens over the next few weeks - if he gets his wish and a contender takes him on, and he actually plays more than 5 minutes a night, then apparently someone thinks he can still play.

No, he didn't leave his family for Toronto. His family went with him to Toronto for what would have been the three years. When things went south there, the family moved back to San Jose and that was where they were going to stay. And no, he didn't go back to San Jose hoping Wilson would do him a solid. There was a place for him here in our lineup because we aren't any good. Other teams would have had interest if he was interested in them to start the season.

And you're wrong saying anyone seeing him play the last couple of years will tell you he's not an NHL player. He was a perfectly acceptable bottom six player last season with the Sharks. He went to the Pens and sucked for perfectly understandable reasons. He will probably suck elsewhere now because his hands are finished but last year was different.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I don't think Marleau even has a NTC, so why would he even be asked if he accepts a trade or not?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I feel bad that Patty is done but still wants the record and to help a contender.

It's sorta awkward. Love me some Patty though. Hope it works out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad