Marleau and Thornton sign 3 year extensions

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
96 in 140 is TERRIBLE for a 6+M forward and even worse considering the majority of those were scored before 2008, you know, back before he was stripped of the captaincy and lost his nuts

He's scored almost 500 goals (between PO's and reg season). How long has it burned you when he scores or does something good? Years? Since the 100th, 200th, 300th,...? :laugh::laugh:

Sad

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
tumblr_m9nolw8ueH1qbygev.gif

9hth8l.jpg

Look at that and tell me that kid doesn't have Thornton hair. :sarcasm:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Can't see how anyone would hate this signing. The Sedins signed for more and are arguably inferior players. This is a pretty big discount I could see Thornton and Marleau cashing in for 7.5m in FA with the cap going up.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Can't see how anyone would hate this signing. The Sedins signed for more and are arguably inferior players. This is a pretty big discount I could see Thornton and Marleau cashing in for 7.5m in FA with the cap going up.

I've never seen a more unanimous consensus on a contract in my time on these boards. Let alone, it was two simultaneous contracts. There hasn't been a single cross word spoken on the main free agents board whatsoever.

I don't think it's a "steal" like most though. I think it's a perfect deal for both players and team. To which I agree is a rarity.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Sure there is. I won't have to see people post Marleau would never leave, especially because his wife won't let him.

Yep, it also shows how little anyone outside of the org. actually knows about the players they see on the ice.

There was a really good article written by one of the veteran Eastern conf. beat writers (I can't find it) about how little he really knows the players he's been talking to and covering for years. People love to speculate but really, that's all it ever is.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Cool article on why California is the place you want to be , so they left their bags alone and passed on the big money.

There was a time when players like Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton would have tested the free agent market for one, last big contract. But they did not, signing three-year deals in San Jose Friday for two reasons: The Sharks are a Cup contender, and living in San Jose wine country qualifies as somewhere north of awesome.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-ducks-sharks-offer-a-lot-for-nhlers/

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I couldn't be happier

We get Jumbo and Patty for LESS than they're already making

I don't think Marleau's a very good agent

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
capgeek 1:34pm via Web
Joe Thornton's contract extension isn't a 35-plus deal. His birthdate avoided the cutoff by two days. #NHL #SJSharks

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
"....and living in San Jose wine country qualifies as somewhere north of awesome"

I like the article, but "San Jose wine country"? Did I miss something and they started growing lots of grapes in silicon valley? If you take 280 north, wine country is about what, 3 hours away? Assuming traffic is great? One bad slow down and it's 6 hours away.

Just say it's the generally good weather and anonymity. :)

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I like the article, but "San Jose wine country"? Did I miss something and they started growing lots of grapes in silicon valley? If you take 280 north, wine country is about what, 3 hours away? Assuming traffic is great? One bad slow down and it's 6 hours away.

Just say it's the generally good weather and anonymity. :)

680, and it's about a 90 minute drive. ;)

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
very pleased but not surprised at the $$. Awesome HTD. It is as I have forseen. Both still paid as the top dawgs as they should be. Still Joe's team with Patty in tow for 3 more years.
This team has a great core in place now, lose Havlat and Burish in the summer, find a 3/4 LHD. Future looks promising :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad