Speculation: Markus Naslund Returning to the Vancouver Canucks ???? - To Do What ???

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
lol, right. Maybe not in title, but he is 100% the GM.

From Wikipedia:

When Patrick Roy was named head coach of the Avalanche in 2013, he was also named vice president of hockey operations. According to Bob McKenzie of TSN, Sherman is now general manager "in name only." Sherman now serves mainly in an advisory role to Roy and executive vice president Joe Sakic, who have the final say in hockey matters.

Wetcoaster

After Pat Quinn was fired the Canucks went with a GM Triumvirate.

Initially:

Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment president Stephen Bellringer said replacing Quinn could take "several weeks" and he indicated he's unconcerned about operating without a general manager...

Bellringer, who has less than two months' experience in professional sports after spending most of his working life in the energy business, said he'll be part of a management committee guiding the Canucks until a new general manager is hired.

Steve Tambellini, the Canucks' vice-president of hockey operations, and assistant general manager Mike Penny will join Bellringer on the interim management committee.​
Canucks will be led by management committee; [Final Edition]
Iain MacIntyre. The Vancouver Sun. Vancouver, B.C.: Nov 05, 1997. pg. A.1

Then when Mike Keenan was hired as head coach he replaced Mike Penny as one of the three.

"Steve is designated as the senior hockey executive," said Bellringer. "We're making it very clear to other teams and agents that Steve Tambellini is the contact person. We want Mike to focus on developing the team we have.

"Mike and Steve will work together regarding any personnel changes. They've spoken together a lot over the past 24 hours and they understand each other. Assuming that Mike and Steve agree then those changes will be put in place.

"Obviously, though, if there's big financial restructuring involved then it would involve ownership and myself."​
Keenan insists he's a coach with no aspirations to be GM: Arrival of new pilot raises question of who is in charge of Canucks; [Final Edition] Terry Bell. Standard. St. Catharines, Ont.: Nov 14, 1997. pg. C.4

However Keenan ended up becoming the senior member of Vancouver's GM by committee (replacing Mike Penney) along with Steve Tambellini and Stephen Bellringer. That made sense as Bellringer had no player personnel experience and Tambellini had not been involved at that level in the past. The way the GM decisions supposedly worked was that Keenan had the power to do the deals and signed them but he could be vetoed by the other two on the committee. In practise Keenan was the de facto GM although he never had the title.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
You realize I could change that page right now to say that Joe Sakic is spiderman, right?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-operations-colorado-avalanche-192159796.html

The bad news for Colorado Avalanche fans: Greg Sherman is still the general manager of a team that’s failed to make the playoff for three straight seasons and cost head coach Joe Sacco his job.
The good news: He's really not in charge of anything anymore, and is going to have to answer to Joe Sakic.

so Sherman's a puppet.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Linden as President, Naslund as GM. Bertuzzi isn't being re-signed by the Redwings, lets hire him as a coach with Morrison as the AC.

#Reunion

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Designated management expert on choking?

"We choked," said Canucks captain Markus Naslund following the team's 2-0 loss to the Kings. ~ Apr 10, 2003

Never understood why he got so much grief for that comment. By the way, this is the full comment:

"We choked," said Canucks captain Markus Naslund following the team's 2-0 loss to the Kings. "But we're going to change that. We're going to play a lot better in the playoffs. I can promise you that."

For some reason, this bit always gets conveniently cut out by people who feel the need to disparage his tenure here.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/botchford/status/464499725509857281

Watch out Benning. :sarcasm:

I wonder what position Naslund would take in the organization. Something in management? Scouting?

Getting a former player to serve as an AGM is becoming a popular move. Naslund's Modo experience certainly help his case.

EDIT: in my generation of Canuck fans Naslund is still viewed as a fan favourite and Linden and Naslund on the management team is great PR.

Wetcoaster

Never understood why he got so much grief for that comment. By the way, this is the full comment:

For some reason, this bit always gets conveniently cut out by people who feel the need to disparage his tenure here.
"Shirley" I did not need to include this:'

:sarcasm:

Or these:

3246822299_SarcasmAlert_answer_4_xlarge.gif

sarcasm.jpg

sarcasmsign.jpg

bo2shink*

Never understood why he got so much grief for that comment.

Maybe because it even needed to be said? Why not just point out "we scored less goals than our opponent". Admittedly, I have little time for people that "admit" anything that it already completely self evident.

bo2shink*

Linden as President, Naslund as GM. Bertuzzi isn't being re-signed by the Redwings, lets hire him as a coach with Morrison as the AC.

#Reunion

The playoff failure triumvirate!

At least Bert would have made it to Hartley.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

The quote doesn't bother me (in fact, the honesty is refreshing), however I don't see that as convenience, that second part is completely irrelevant and doesn't really add context that isn't already there, IMO.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It's not funny if you explain the joke with the original quote immediately after! :p:

Or be a little more subtle about it and say Emergency First Aide Attendant or something...

Naslund always struck me as a cerebral and honorable player. I wouldn't mind adding that type of character to the organization in some capacity.

But would prefer a lot more NHL hockey ops experienced person in the GM spot..

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Agree 100%. Seems to be a lightning rod for those who disliked Naslund but I never had any problem with his statement given the context at the time. Guy spoke from the heart and called his team out for a poor showing, and somehow that morphed into him being the choker. Funny board sometimes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad