Speculation: Markus Naslund Returning to the Vancouver Canucks ???? - To Do What ???

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Breaking News out of Stockholm. Markus Naslund will not return to MODO Next Year !!! When Asked if he was going to join the Vancouver Canucks he said no comment. Is Gillis Done !!!

My opnion very bad idea. I am a huge Gillis Supporter. What is Naslund going to say each year at his year end presser if he is the GM

Sorry guys we Choked !!!! hahaha

Here is the Link please dicuss.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/modo/article18539384.ab

Mod edit:
https://twitter.com/SatiarShah/status/444569498394173441
Gillis tells @mattsekeres & @blakeprice1040 he's going to talk to Naslund about joining the Canucks front office.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Breaking News out of Stockholm. Markus Naslund will not return to MODO Next Year !!! When Asked if he was going to join the Vancouver Canucks he said no comment. Is Gillis Done !!!

My opnion very bad idea. I am a huge Gillis Supporter. What is Naslund going to say each year at his year end presser if he is the GM

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/modo/article18539384.ab

I doubt he's coming this way, Modo hasn't exactly been successful under him. Maybe he just knows the Canucks need his fiery leadership :sarcasm:

IKEA

May 31, 2010
SE
From the above article, it appears Naslund had a difficult time finding offensive players! Would fit right in. I could see him being announced as the new GM, as MG keeps his president of hockey operations role. That way Aqua man saves the remaining 8mil from firing him. Either that, or Naslund as assist with Gil(l)man as GM. Would see the former, Aqua man dictating a PR move, help with season tickets or some other overall financial scheme.

Last edited:

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I doubt he's coming this way, Modo hasn't exactly been successful under him. Maybe he just knows the Canucks need his fiery leadership :sarcasm:

When they needed to make the playoffs, didn't he, and Forsberg come out of retirement to play for them?

ZOMG! NASLUND AND FORSBERG ARE COMING TO SOLVE OUR GOAL SCORING DEFICIENCY!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

arsmaster*

Funny, there are many on this board who want Gretzky or Niedermayer to do the job, but not Naslund.....who is freakin' experienced with managing a Pro hockey team at least.

I think it's best to get away from former Canucks myself, but wouldn't have too much issue if Naslund is going to come into the front office in some capacity.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When they needed to make the playoffs, didn't he, and Forsberg come out of retirement to play for them?

ZOMG! NASLUND AND FORSBERG ARE COMING TO SOLVE OUR GOAL SCORING DEFICIENCY!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

My sources tell me that Gillis is preparing an offer for $8 million for two years to lure Mats Sundin out of retirement. :sarcasm:

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Funny, there are many on this board who want Gretzky or Niedermayer to do the job, but not Naslund.....who is freakin' experienced with managing a Pro hockey team at least.

I think it's best to get away from former Canucks myself, but wouldn't have too much issue if Naslund is going to come into the front office in some capacity.

Naslund would be great, but until now I think most people assumed he was staying with Modo.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC

I don't know that I'd trust either Gretzky or Neidermayer, but I'd love for Gretz to have a token position in the organization. He's the original Golden Child of the NHL, and I wonder if we'd get held in such a negative light by the league, if he was in our spotlight.

Granted, that has nothing to do with hockey operations, but rather image and respect.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Markus always struck me as an intelligent guy who understood hockey.
He was a good leader. But the thing that impressed me the most was that he walked away from the last year of a lucrative contract with the NYR because he thought he could no longer play at that level. The man is all class and would be a great asset to the Club in some capacity. Obviously he shouldn't come in as GM but he could help in another capacity.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I frickin love Nazzy. I dont care what he does I'll be stoked if he's back with the team.

KillerWhale

Nov 8, 2008
New Westminster
With Naslund having experience as a GM with Modo, it could be beneficial to add him to the management team. The only way I'd feel comfortable with him as GM of the Canucks however, is if Gillis becomes stricly the President to oversee operations, and Gilman remains as the Assistant GM to handle all contacts and legal issues. Naslund can be the guy to interact with other GM's and the league.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Ya let's bring back a guy that had a controversial jersey retirement into a rabid market that will chew him up and spit him out if he does not perform. #wechoked

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
BTW Naslund ain't coming here.

In another interview they asked him if he would stay in Ornskoldsvik and he said he would and that he enjoys living there and his kids are in school.

Remember, he always wanted to move home for that reason: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/canucks/2003-02-10-naslund-sweden_x.htm

He has openly discussed returning to Sweden to raise his family when his current Vancouver Canucks contract expires after two more seasons. It's an issue that more and more European-born NHLers, who make up about 30% of the league's membership, are addressing openly.

Detroit's Nick Lidstrom thought long and hard about moving his family back to Sweden before deciding to stay in the NHL. The Red Wings aggressively begged Dominik Hasek not to retire last summer, but he simply wanted to return to his native Czech Republic.

"It has nothing to do with the NHL, because I love living here and playing hockey, " Naslund says. "But I loved growing up in Sweden. You have a solid foundation. I plan on having my kids raised there. Now that they are of school age, I'm starting to look ahead and make plans. But I have no definite plans.

"Naslund hasn't talked to Lidstrom, but Lidstrom understands what's going through his mind.

"There comes a time when you have to choose," Lidstrom says. "When I think of all the Swedish players who have played in the NHL, I can think of only two that decided to stay here after they were done playing."

Lidstrom says the emotional issue is really about culture and family. "Some people think we don't like it here, and it has nothing to do with that," he says.

It's a major financial sacrifice for a European player to give up the NHL for family reasons. Lidstrom makes $10 million a season, and Naslund makes $4.5 million. Each could make only a few hundred thousand dollars in the Swedish League.

"You are weighing hockey vs. your family life," Naslund says. "Where is the point it's time to move back because of the family sake to get the kids rooted? If I went back, I wouldn't be going back to play hockey, although I might play there. I would be going back for my family."

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I've always found the derision for that comment to be ridiculously overblown by fans on this board. It was the end of the game, the Canucks _had_ choked away the division title on the last game of the year against Colorado (in fact they were shut out, no?), and because it was the last game, they had Naslund address the fans from the ice. I thought it was refreshingly honest that he actually said what we as fans were all thinking. What should he have said? "We're awesome and its complete BS that Colorado beat us today"? My guess is if Ryan Kesler said the same thing today, he would be applauded for telling it like it is and calling the team out on their poor performance. But because Nasulind isn't a fiery North American he's remembered for being a quitter or something along those lines. Has never made sense to me.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Naslund's Modo team actually hasn't been that good, so I sincerely doubt he'll replace anyone over here.

But! He does have management experience. In an assistant position it'd be good for him to learn the trade and possibly assume a bigger role later.

...but what if it's Burkie who's in on him? ;)

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
on the bright side, if Naslund comes on board and does a lousy job, there's really no chance of his reputation being tarnished the same way it would tarnish Linden's.

Linden has much more to lose. Naslund, not so much.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
BTW Naslund ain't coming here.

In another interview they asked him if he would stay in Ornskoldsvik and he said he would and that he enjoys living there and his kids are in school.

Remember, he always wanted to move home for that reason: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/canucks/2003-02-10-naslund-sweden_x.htm

Yeah people forget that Naslund always seemed to have the desire to "go home" - even when he was essentially an elite winger in the league (or at least give that impression). Unless it's in a job for the Canucks that doesn't require him to move here; I don't see him being with the club in any capacity.

Revolution9*

on the bright side, if Naslund comes on board and does a lousy job, there's really no chance of his reputation being tarnished the same way it would tarnish Linden's.

Linden has much more to lose. Naslund, not so much.

If I've been taught anything its that Linden's legacy will be unchanged win or lose because of his outstanding community work. Apparently that gives way to any on ice performance.:laugh:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
If I've been taught anything its that Linden's legacy will be unchanged win or lose because of his outstanding community work. Apparently that gives way to any on ice performance.:laugh:

That actually is of importance to those that retire jersey numbers @ home; where individual accomplishment obviously are more salient to those in say the HHOF committee. Not saying I agree or disagree, just stating the facts (or at least how I view the facts are :laugh:).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad