Speculation: Markus Naslund Returning to the Vancouver Canucks ???? - To Do What ???

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Funny, there are many on this board who want Gretzky or Niedermayer to do the job, but not Naslund.....who is freakin' experienced with managing a Pro hockey team at least.

I think it's best to get away from former Canucks myself, but wouldn't have too much issue if Naslund is going to come into the front office in some capacity.
I actually think that, for this team in particular, Gretzky could probably be a good coach.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
The thing that scares me about Naslund coming on in a GM role is him taking lots of heat for problems that he inherited.

Naslund was an incredibly classy player and a true Canuck. I really didn't like that he and his family got a ton of flak from the public when he was doing his best but coming up a little short. I don't know if I'd want his legacy further sullied for trying to clean up someone else's mess.

Ninebreaker

Mar 4, 2014
Hey guys, long time lurker & first post.

IMO Naslund should jump right to GM right away. That said, I started doing some digging to see if he'd actually be as terrible a choice as some posters seem to think. I wanted to compare the Modo team Naslund took over as GM to the 2013-2014 team and see what's changed in 4 years there.

I'm using the 2010-2011 season as a baseline, as it could be argued Naslund and Forsberg were carrying the team the previous year.

• The 2010-2011 Modo team placed 12th (last). In 2013-2014 they improved to 8th and made the playoffs (for the 2nd year in a row)
  • The 2010-2011 team had a record of 23-25-0. The 2013-2014 team had a record of 28-20-7.
  • The 2010-2011 team had 147GF and 153GA (-6). In 2013-2014 they had 131GF and 132GA (-1).
  • The average age in 2010-2011 was 26.5 with 11 players over 30. The average age in 2013-2014 was 25.3 with 7 players over 30.
  • The average of the top 10 scorers in 2010-2011 was 29.6. In 2013-2014 it was 27.5.

Probably most important, however. Looking at the top 10 scorers on Modo -- ALL but ONE of them were acquired by Naslund (the lone dinosaur vet is Per-Åge Skrøder -- circa 2006). Both of their 9.20 Sv% goalies were acquired in Naslund's tenure as well (2010 & 2011 respectively).

Overall, it looks like Naslund the SEL GM has been pretty busy and has injected a decent bit of youth into his newly minted playoff team. Yes, the NHL is a different beast all together, but I'm actually cautiously optimistic he could grow into a decent NHL GM.

Source Links Modo2010, Modo2014, RosterChanges.

Nice analysis. Were the majority of his moves trades or signings? And what exactly did his trades look like?

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
And what argument is that? I still don't see how Naslund deserves consideration as our GM. That's what I've been asking.

I haven't seen many demand Naslund get the job. How much experience did Gillis have? What did he bring in a "unique" way to the position? Look at Salic, Yzerman; both have varied but fairly limited experience when they took over the role of GM. Naslund would be an unnecessary gamble. In the same vein, letting Gillis stay to fix his mess would be a bigger risk, IMHO.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
No resason Nazzy cant be in a Jarmo Kekalainen type role and learn the ropes then eventually come back and be a GM in the league. I just really doubt he ups and moves his family back to Van.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i know everyone is wired differently and we all have different ideas of retirement, but...

if i was a player who hopefully banked millons of dollars, i wouldn't ever consider coming back to the NHL or doing any other form of 'work.'

my day would consist of living somewhere down south where the sun shines all year

- getting up at 7 am, morning coffee at home with the wife and kids...drop the kids off at school

- head to the golf course for my 9 am tee time

- a nice lunch at the clubhouse or at home with my wife who has spent her morning doing her own thing, followed by a walk on the beach, cutting the grass, tinkering in the yard etc

- go watch whatever my kids afterschool activities are

- cook something on the grill

- family time

rinse and repeat til death do us part

:yo:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No resason Nazzy cant be in a Jarmo Kekalainen type role and learn the ropes then eventually come back and be a GM in the league. I just really doubt he ups and moves his family back to Van.

You mean have Nazzy become a director of player personnel, then assistant GM and chief amateur scout, then go back to Sweden and be a GM there and come back as a GM in the NHL? Kekalainen didn't just learn the ropes he proved himself at every opportunity.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I haven't seen many demand Naslund get the job. How much experience did Gillis have? What did he bring in a "unique" way to the position? Look at Salic, Yzerman; both have varied but fairly limited experience when they took over the role of GM. Naslund would be an unnecessary gamble. In the same vein, letting Gillis stay to fix his mess would be a bigger risk, IMHO.

Sakic isn't the GM, and Yzerman understudied for Holland for a few years.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
i know everyone is wired differently and we all have different ideas of retirement, but...

if i was a player who hopefully banked millons of dollars, i wouldn't ever consider coming back to the NHL or doing any other form of 'work.'

my day would consist of living somewhere down south where the sun shines all year

- getting up at 7 am, morning coffee at home with the wife and kids...drop the kids off at school

- a nice lunch at the clubhouse or at home with my wife who has spent her morning doing her own thing, followed by a walk on the beach, cutting the grass, tinkering in the yard etc

- family time

Borrrrrrrrrriiiiinnnnggggg. lol jk. I'd live it a little faster than that.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
I'd be very surprised if Naslund returned to Vancouver/North America given that throughout his playing career news of his ultimate return to Sweden was constant.

But - things change, so it's obviously a possibility.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
You mean have Nazzy become a director of player personnel, then assistant GM and chief amateur scout, then go back to Sweden and be a GM there and come back as a GM in the NHL? Kekalainen didn't just learn the ropes he proved himself at every opportunity.

Im well aware of Jarmo's history, Nazzy seems to have turn around Modo. I'm sure he can help the team in a similar capacity.

Wetcoaster

Hire him as an area scout in Sweden and see if he enjoys that. If he likes that than he can move up the org.
Canucks already have Thomas Gradin, Inge Hammarstrom and Lars Lindgren on the scouting staff. There is a three Swede limit IIRC.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

- family time

I believe that most guys that played in the NHL are a little more competitive than that and would get bored. That being said, if Gretzky or Naslund wants to be the gm or coach of this team I hope they seriously consider your retirement plan.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

IMO Naslund should jump right to GM right away. That said, I started doing some digging to see if he'd actually be as terrible a choice as some posters seem to think. I wanted to compare the Modo team Naslund took over as GM to the 2013-2014 team and see what's changed in 4 years there.

I'm using the 2010-2011 season as a baseline, as it could be argued Naslund and Forsberg were carrying the team the previous year.

• The 2010-2011 Modo team placed 12th (last). In 2013-2014 they improved to 8th and made the playoffs (for the 2nd year in a row)
  • The 2010-2011 team had a record of 23-25-0. The 2013-2014 team had a record of 28-20-7.
  • The 2010-2011 team had 147GF and 153GA (-6). In 2013-2014 they had 131GF and 132GA (-1).
  • The average age in 2010-2011 was 26.5 with 11 players over 30. The average age in 2013-2014 was 25.3 with 7 players over 30.
  • The average of the top 10 scorers in 2010-2011 was 29.6. In 2013-2014 it was 27.5.

Probably most important, however. Looking at the top 10 scorers on Modo -- ALL but ONE of them were acquired by Naslund (the lone dinosaur vet is Per-Åge Skrøder -- circa 2006). Both of their 9.20 Sv% goalies were acquired in Naslund's tenure as well (2010 & 2011 respectively).

Overall, it looks like Naslund the SEL GM has been pretty busy and has injected a decent bit of youth into his newly minted playoff team. Yes, the NHL is a different beast all together, but I'm actually cautiously optimistic he could grow into a decent NHL GM.

Great info, thanks for digging this up.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada

I was listening to Henrik on Team1040 and he was saying how GM's over in Sweden do so much more than just acquiring players.

They are in charge of a lot of other things such as finding accommodations for players, things that you'd have people under you do in North America. They're constantly on the phone for everything, even in the off-seasons.

I can see how knowing about all the little details of running a hockey operation can prepare him for a big job here. Henrik also said that he can see Naslund take a GM role in NA down the road, just not now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad