Rumor: Markstrom is asking for Connor Hellebuyck $$$$$

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I just think about how we gave Ryan Miller 3 years x $6MM (that's $7.08-7.30MM based on 81.5/84MM salary caps) in 14-15 and are up in arms about giving Markstrom a similar cap hit.

Exactly. People are slow to catch up to a market shift. That was 7 off seasons ago.

Did the market shift towards goalies getting better contracts in recent years? Besides Bobrovsky I don't think so. Lehner got a 1 year $5M AAV deal and he was a Vezina finalist.

The market can change at any time but I think there's more of a focus on limiting the workload of the #1 goalie to less than 60 games. The goalie market simply hasn't been all that great in recent years.

With that said, I think a team can afford to spend $8-9M on goaltending and still be competitive so $6M for Markstrom is certainly not an unaffordable sum.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This could be Markstrom's last NHL contract....why wouldn't he and his agent try for a home-run with Hellebucyk or Bobrovsky money? He'd be crazy not to.

I'm sure the Canucks would love to re-sign him, but carrying so may awful contracts with term, there's just no cap room. It's a shame that guys like Marstrom and Tanev will likely have to be sacrificed this off-season, because their money is in the hands of contracts for players like Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Myers, Sutter et.al.

But that's just the way it is for any team in the NHL that botches its' cap management.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Lehner got a 1 year $5M AAV deal and he was a Vezina finalist.

In Lehner's case it's his outspoken history of being bipolar and battling his demons (all credit to him for facing them publicly) that I think unfairly eroded his value.

Varlamov's deal was also pretty good for someone comping off a 2.87/.909 season too, and I think Markstrom is quite a bit better.

I do agree that getting Markstrom for 6 would be a very good deal.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In Lehner's case it's his outspoken history of being bipolar and battling his demons (all credit to him for facing them publicly) that I think unfairly eroded his value.

Varlamov's deal was also pretty good for someone comping off a 2.87/.909 season too, and I think Markstrom is quite a bit better.

I do agree that getting Markstrom for 6 would be a very good deal.

I think with Lehner I can see why a team would be scared of offering him a long term contract. But in the short term you would think he could command something higher than $5M.

Varlamov wasn't coming off a great season but he does have an arguably better pedigree than Markstrom. I don't think Markstrom will command much more than Varlamov even though I think Markstrom is the better goaltender. I don't think the market for goalies is there where there are teams lining up to offer Markstrom a long-term $6M AAV+ contract. But I can see $6M being the price to get an extension done for the Canucks and Markstrom.

Reactions: timw33

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I just think about how we gave Ryan Miller 3 years x $6MM (that's $7.08-7.30MM based on 81.5/84MM salary caps) in 14-15 and are up in arms about giving Markstrom a similar cap hit.
But I've been told 3 years and 5.5m?!?!

Seriously if its this easy for a few hockey nerds (myself included) to reason out I would wager a large sum player agents also use all the leverage they can get.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
This could be Markstrom's last NHL contract....why wouldn't he and his agent try for a home-run with Hellebucyk or Bobrovsky money? He'd be crazy not to.

I'm sure the Canucks would love to re-sign him, but carrying so may awful contracts with term, there's just no cap room. It's a shame that guys like Marstrom and Tanev will likely have to be sacrificed this off-season, because their money is in the hands of contracts for players like Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Myers, Sutter et.al.

But that's just the way it is for any team in the NHL that botches its' cap management.

A lot of players opt for stability and familiarity- if Markstrom is offered a 5 year contract to stay in Vancouver with the team he's grown with the last 5 years, he's not going to just take the highest bidder in free agency. These decisions are not always about the almighty dollar winning the race.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Who are the other realistic suitors out there for Markstrom? Buffalo? Maybe, but they also have 26 year old Linus Ullmark who’s playing well and will need a new contract after this season. Detroit? Ottawa? Both terrible franchises that are likely years away from competing. I would say Carolina but judging by the moves they made at the deadline it doesn’t seem like they put much importance in their goaltending, I can’t see them making a big contract offer to Markstrom. I think Chicago could be a team interested in him, but I’m not sure what their cap situation looks like going forward.

There are also a few other goaltenders on the market competing with Markstrom. I’m not so sure he’ll have a Bobrovsky like contract waiting for him July 1st. If anything that will be going to Braden Holtby given his credentials, despite his poor play this year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
You have to sign him. Canucks are a bubble team without him, and a borderline Cup contender with him. He has stolen games. The way he has been playing, he will steal entire playoff series.
If your definition of borderline is borderline then maybe yes.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You have to sign him. Canucks are a bubble team without him, and a borderline Cup contender with him. He has stolen games. The way he has been playing, he will steal entire playoff series.
Lol.

They were a bubble team with him.

Reactions: vanuck

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Who are the other realistic suitors out there for Markstrom? Buffalo? Maybe, but they also have 26 year old Linus Ullmark who’s playing well and will need a new contract after this season. Detroit? Ottawa? Both terrible franchises that are likely years away from competing. I would say Carolina but judging by the moves they made at the deadline it doesn’t seem like they put much importance in their goaltending, I can’t see them making a big contract offer to Markstrom. I think Chicago could be a team interested in him, but I’m not sure what their cap situation looks like going forward.

There are also a few other goaltenders on the market competing with Markstrom. I’m not so sure he’ll have a Bobrovsky like contract waiting for him July 1st. If anything that will be going to Braden Holtby given his credentials, despite his poor play this year.

Edmonton is a team that could be interested. He would cover up a few of their defensive lapses and then with McDavid/drai up front they could be scary

Reactions: I am toxic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Just about any NHl team with serious concerns about its' goaltending will be in on Markstrom.

But two teams to watch in the Western Conference are the Sharks and Av's.....two teams with a ton of cap space and huge question marks between the pipes. And looking to the East, Buffalo would be crazy not to be interested. And another up-and-coming team, Carolina, is currently getting by with a couple of 'Grade B' goalies.

So they'll be no shortage of suitors for Markstrom, who will easily outbid a cap-strapped team like the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad