Rumor: Markstrom is asking for Connor Hellebuyck $$$$$

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Kevin Woodley on Sportsnet 650 said that the Markstrom camp is asking for a similar contract that was given out to Hellebuyck which is 6 years at 6 mil per.

Woodley expressed that the Canucks are not interested at all in that and would like it more around Semyon Varlamov's contract which is 4 years at 5 mil per.

Woodley expressed that he doesnt think MArkstrom will get Hellebuyck money because Hellebuyck was coming off a Vezina finalist season at 24 years old when he signed that contract.

Woodley also expressed that Markstrom is an amazing goalie and the Canucks need him for sure but also warned that the Canucks should be careful about signing too long of a term for goalies as there can be a major drop off in the latter parts of the contract , Woodley referenced: Rinner, Quick, Crawford.

What says you?

What's the absolute most you would give Markstrom in terms of money and term before saying enough is enough and just let him walk.

Reactions: CanuckCity and Red

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
6 by 6 is too much, if he wants that much, the term needs to be shorter.

I do lean more at the Varlamov contract at most, we'll need that flexibility if we want to retain Petey and Hughes.

If only Luongo just stayed on LTIRement....

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
6 by 6 is too much, if he wants that much, the term needs to be shorter.

I do lean more at the Varlamov contract at most, we'll need that flexibility if we want to retain Petey and Hughes.

If only Luongo just stayed on LTIRement....

The problem is the Markstrom camp can say that Markstrom is waay better and more valuable than Varlamov who is in a time share in NYI with Thomas Greiss.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I was told the Canucks could sign him on a 2 year deal max 3!

What would I sign him for? What should the Canucks sign him for and what should he get are probably all different answers, then there is what should Benning do if he want to keep his job.

Personally I would have started negotiations a lot sooner and know right now if we could sign him or not. If we can't, I would be looking to move him. I also would have given Demko more starts to see where he is, or use him as leverage and if you sign Markstrom, you can trade Demko for a better return.

Honestly ideally Marksrom comes in at 4 years. I may be willing to go higher years with the idea that we trade Demko have next year with a vet backup, then bring in Dipetro at cost controlled for 4-5 years and hope he is ready to take over before the end of Markstroms contract, but still be cheap.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Markstrom is able to win games by himself.

Could you say the same about Luo? I'm not sure.

If Ryan Miller can easily get a 3x6 contract then Markstrom getting a 6x6 contract should be a slam dunk.

Of course management is not interested because they've already spent all of the cap on bottom 6 age gappers.

Is that Marky's problem?

Nope.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm sure that is in the ball park of his original asking price. Probably ends up with a 4 or 5 year deal around $5.25 -$5.5 million would be my guess.
I think he gets re-signed and then they decide next year which of Demko and Markstrom they trade based on their relative performances and value at that time.
Too many good goalies seems like a good problem to have.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Kevin Woodley on Sportsnet 650 said that the Markstrom camp is asking for a similar contract that was given out to Hellebuyck which is 6 years at 6 mil per.

Woodley expressed that the Canucks are not interested at all in that and would like it more around Semyon Varlamov's contract which is 4 years at 5 mil per.

Woodley expressed that he doesnt think MArkstrom will get Hellebuyck money because Hellebuyck was coming off a Vezina finalist season at 24 years old when he signed that contract.

Woodley also expressed that Markstrom is an amazing goalie and the Canucks need him for sure but also warned that the Canucks should be careful about signing too long of a term for goalies as there can be a major drop off in the latter parts of the contract , Woodley referenced: Rinner, Quick, Crawford.

What says you?

What's the absolute most you would give Markstrom in terms of money and term before saying enough is enough and just let him walk.
4 years at $5.5MM should be the absolute max. Sadly, I think we may need to let him walk

Reactions: MarkMM

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Robin Lehner's deal with the Hawks is probably still the best comparable for Markstrom.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Absolutely fair starting point for negotiations. He's been the team MVP by a long shot.

He deserves a $25M+ contract - whether that be here or elsewhere I guess we'll find out.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Markstrom is able to win games by himself.

Could you say the same about Luo? I'm not sure.

If Ryan Miller can easily get a 3x6 contract then Markstrom getting a 6x6 contract should be a slam dunk.

Of course management is not interested because they've already spent all of the cap on bottom 6 age gappers.

Is that Marky's problem?

Nope.

disagree, this isnt a cap problem

The Canucks dont want to sign him to term because Marky will be 35+ when the contract would be over. It has nothing to do with not being able to afford him.

I also dont think its a good game plan to have 6mil + locked up on your goalie under the current cap number.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Absolutely fair starting point for negotiations. He's been the team MVP by a long shot.

He deserves a $25M+ contract - whether that be here or elsewhere I guess we'll find out.

5x5 sounds reasonable.

We then immidiately trade Demko and sign a backup for a place holder until Dipietro and/or future goalie is ready.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
disagree, this isnt a cap problem

The Canucks dont want to sign him to term because Marky will be 35+ when the contract would be over. It has nothing to do with not being able to afford him.

I also dont think its a good game plan to have 6mil + locked up on your goalie under the current cap number.
Benning would rather give long term deals to non goalies who’ll be beyond 35 by the time their contract ends.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
It seems totally reasonable as their ask and a starting point for negotiations. Seems likely that the team would counter with Hellebuyck's age when he signed it to reduce the salary and/or contract term. If 6x6 is his initial ask, it seems to me that the most likely outcome is a 4-5 year deal in the 5.5-6 AAV range. Completely reasonable.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Split the difference: 4 years, $24M. I think that's what the contract will be when all is said and done.

that would be a home-run for the Canucks at 4 years.'

However i dont think the Marky camp will bite.

Markstrom was a late bloomer and will be looking to maximize his earning with this contract. Who knows what kind of player he will be at 34 yrs old and what kind of contract he will get then. This is his big chance for payoff!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Definitely not 6x6. I think the Canucks should decide whether Demko is the goalie of the future. If so, I would focus on term (e.g. max 3 years) with no NMC vs concede more on AAV. If they aren't sure on Demko, 4 years is the max I would go for Markstrom. 5 if it really gets the AAV down.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Matching 5.5 x 4 to Markstrom and Tanev is my guess

Then we trade Demko in the offseason and sign a backup for 2 yrs we can expose in the expansion draft then let go once Dipietro has played 3 full yrs in Utica.

Reactions: 6oeser

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Guys getting at least $6m x 5 IMO.

If Markstrom's camp starts at $6mil X 6 years and you end up signing the guy to $6mil X 5 years, you've just undergone the worst negotiation imaginable. And you think 'at least'? Especially if the rumour is true the Canucks started the negotiation at 2 years.

Markstrom can ask for whatever he wants. No way they should be locking a goaltender on the wrong side of 30 up for 5 years IMO, especially considering where Demko's game is at.

You do not move off 3 years until you're within hours of the opening of free agency. If Markstrom doesn't bend, you look at giving him the 4th year. No way you cave and give up a 5th year.

Reactions: Regal and MarkMM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad