Rumor: Markstrom is asking for Connor Hellebuyck $$$$$

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not sure this injury could weaken Markstrom's bargaining position.

Prior to this injury, he was performing at a Vezina calibre level. Assuming he returns in time for the playoffs, he's likely to be cut some slack if he doesn't immediately return to Vezina form. It's entirely possible the Canucks drop out of a playoff spot given how important JM is to the Canucks' success. Even if the Canucks make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round because JM struggles, I don't think the injury weakens his bargaining position unless GM's are convinced the he will never return to form. I'm not a medical professional, so I can't really comment on the long term implications of his meniscus tear.

If he comes back and keeps up his point-stealing ways, that will only serve to strengthen his bargaining position.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lehner the only starter who got moved at the tdl and he went to LV to backup MAF. Carolina was the only team I figured would have been buying a starter but with their injuries they opted for D help.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I'm not sure this injury could weaken Markstrom's bargaining position.

Prior to this injury, he was performing at a Vezina calibre level. Assuming he returns in time for the playoffs, he's likely to be cut some slack if he doesn't immediately return to Vezina form. It's entirely possible the Canucks drop out of a playoff spot given how important JM is to the Canucks' success. Even if the Canucks make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round because JM struggles, I don't think the injury weakens his bargaining position unless GM's are convinced the he will never return to form. I'm not a medical professional, so I can't really comment on the long term implications of his meniscus tear.

If he comes back and keeps up his point-stealing ways, that will only serve to strengthen his bargaining position.

Well it's certainly not going to help it......... Prior to this his name was being mentioned somewhat frequently in conjunction with the words "Vezina Trophy". Almost assuredly that will go away now. Had he been a Vezina finalist that would have done nothing but drive up his asking price. I think the Canucks might have actually caught a break here. With any luck he's back well before playoffs so he can round into form. In the meantime it's a perfect opportunity to gauge where Demko is at and see whether or team can survive without Markstrom.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Feel really bad for the guy. The stars were aligning for him to really cash in, deservedly so. Now perhaps he still can, but his injury now gives the Canucks an excuse and opportunity to see if they can march forward with Demko. As much as I'd love to retain Marky, and as deserving he is of a big contract, the Canucks just can't afford to do it with their cap situation. Even if they could, we all know how perilous signing goaltenders to long term, big money contracts is. All Marky has to do is look at Washington: Braden Holtby is a Stanley Cup and Vezina winner and the Capitals are likely going to let him walk in favour of Ilya Samsonov.

Anyway, this post could end up being pointless if he comes back, picks up right where he left off and somehow gets signed long term, especially if Demko falters. We'll see....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well it's certainly not going to help it......... Prior to this his name was being mentioned somewhat frequently in conjunction with the words "Vezina Trophy". Almost assuredly that will go away now. Had he been a Vezina finalist that would have done nothing but drive up his asking price. I think the Canucks might have actually caught a break here. With any luck he's back well before playoffs so he can round into form. In the meantime it's a perfect opportunity to gauge where Demko is at and see whether or team can survive without Markstrom.
Hopefully Demko can seize this opportunity. There have been several goalies his age who took advantage of their chance when they were Demko’s age like Helly, Murray, Vasilevskiy, Blackwood, Hart, Korpisalo.
Anytime a team can move off their veteran to go with the younger cheaper option they will take it.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Fair enough. I think that Markstrom's value is effectively locked in for the moment. At this point, either GMs see him as a Vezina calibre goalie for the next few seasons, or they don't, IMO. I don't think the injury will change that very much.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Hmmm, Demko at 24 and the future or Markstrom at 30 with a NMC clause to 36?
If Markstrom say bye bye to Demko.

Won't matter I don't think because the team does not have enough cap space to compete with other teams.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Hopefully Demko can seize this opportunity. There have been several goalies his age who took advantage of their chance when they were Demko’s age like Helly, Murray, Vasilevskiy, Blackwood, Hart, Korpisalo.
Anytime a team can move off their veteran to go with the younger cheaper option they will take it.

Yeah I agree completely. I mean in today's cap age you have to. As I said I don't really view this as bad news - if Demko performs anywhere near what Markstrom did or at least above average then it allows management to feel a lot more confident letting Markstrom walk, or at least able to use Demko's play as leverage in negotiations - especially if Markstrom reallllly wants to stay here (which I tend to think he does).

It would be big for our team if Demko was able to take the reigns as it would probably mean around 3 mill or so a year in extra cap space for at least the next several years - something I'm sure management is very well aware of.

Personally I feel very confident in Demko - his trajectory reminds me of Schneider's.........it's taken a while but I think he'll be ready next season to play 50-55 games at a high level if that's the role he's given.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
From Mark Lazerus in the Athletic:

A source close to Lehner said he told the Blackhawks he would take a three-year contract extension because he loved it in Chicago, but that he “never got an offer.” The source said Lehner wanted to take less because he “loved the guys — the young guys and the old” and “wanted to do everything to make it work.”

This will put a little bit of pressure on Markstrom's agent to come back with a more realistic demand than "Connor Hellebuyck $$$$$". By "realistic", I mean a contract that makes sense for the Canucks, not a theoretical best case scenario Markstrom might get as a UFA.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
From Mark Lazerus in the Athletic:

This will put a little bit of pressure on Markstrom's agent to come back with a more realistic demand than "Connor Hellebuyck $$$$$". By "realistic", I mean a contract that makes sense for the Canucks, not a theoretical best case scenario Markstrom might get as a UFA.

So Lehner, who is on a 1-year $5M AAV contract, wouldn't mind signing a three year contract extension with the Hawks....somehow this will pressure Marky who is only asking for four years at $5.5M?

As if Lehner will not try to get even more now that he's headed into UFA.

tradervik

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
So Lehner, who is on a 1-year $5M AAV contract, wouldn't mind signing a three year contract extension with the Hawks....somehow this will pressure Marky who is only asking for four years at $5.5M?

I hadn't heard about the 4 x 5.5 offer. That is certainly more realistic than Hellebuyck $$$$$. And sure it adds pressure, as any media reports on salary negotiations tend to do, which is why both agents and GMs leak this information. I did use the word "little".

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds like we can add Chicago as another team that could pursue Markstrom in free agency. They’ve been paying Crawford $6 mill so they may be perfectly comfortable paying that for a starter.

tradervik

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Sounds like we can add Chicago as another team that could pursue Markstrom in free agency. They’ve been paying Crawford $6 mill so they may be perfectly comfortable paying that for a starter.

Chicago might not have the cap room to offer $6 million to Markstrom. CapFriendly shows them with $10 million cap space next year and they have to add 8 players to the NHL roster. Hot rookie Dominik Kubalik will be looking for a raise. The big question is what happens with Brent Seabrook. If they can clear his cap hit, they should have the flexibility to bid for Markstrom if they so choose, but will they want to offer term to a 30 year old goalie? My prediction is they will sign Corey Crawford to a cheap deal and keep a fair amount of cap room so they can pick up a player or two when teams start to panic over the expansion draft.

Carolina is the the only team I can see that is an obvious bidder for Markstrom. They have Reimer and Mrazek signed for next year but can probably unload one of them fairly easily. On the other hand, I recall Bob Mackenzie saying they liked Lehner.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Won't shock me if the Nucks knock on Lehners door this summer to see if he is commanding less than Marky is.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Markstrom increasing his demands like

giphy.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can you imagine where this team would be if Markstrom had hurt his knee, maybe back in November or December? They'd be as far below the playoff bar as they were last season.

The only thing that's kept them afloat is Markstrom and the general mediocrity of the Pacific Division for most of the season.

Now that the Canucks are getting the same kind of goaltending the rest of the NHL gets most nights, you can see just how bad this team really is.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This is going to blow up spectacularly in Benning’s face because he simply doesn’t have enough cap room to retain Markstrom. I anticipate a longer term deal to compensate for the lower cap hit.

And we all know how long term goalie contracts turn out.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
With all the talk about Green possibly being let go in the summer, how many coaches does Benning get?

Usually firing a coach is your one lifeline as a GM.

Benning already hired and fired Willie Desjardins.
Talk among who? I don't think this has been reported anywhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is going to blow up spectacularly in Benning’s face because he simply doesn’t have enough cap room to retain Markstrom. I anticipate a longer term deal to compensate for the lower cap hit.

And we all know how long term goalie contracts turn out.
Yep, no doubt about it....Tanev and Markstrom will walk, simply because of the term left on the contracts for guys like Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle and Sutter.

If you're the GM, that's the quintessential definition of a hand grenade "blowing up spectacularly in your face'.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
If jb actually built a good d core then we shouldn’t be worrying about a 30 y/o goalie leaving, but Unfortunately we have a below average d and need someone to bail the team on a nightly basis badly.
Marky is getting paid for sure

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Markstrom is the Canucks MVP and arguably best player. The next few weeks without him will be tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad