Markstrom called up

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Unless he gets injured, he is going to be the starter.

k I figured.........I have a chance to win the league so made a balzy moved and traded the last place team Howard and depth forwards for Nabokov, Visnovsky as a D replacement for Karlsson being hurt and 3 better Forwards...............risky move since Markstrom is still an unknown..........I think he's for real though

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Sending him back means the season is done and the panthers are going to tank. Excellent move imo dont want to ruin his confidence.

What would be more damaging to his confidence, playing in behind a **** team and getting lit up in the NHL or playing in front of a **** team and getting lit up in the AHL?

Erick*

Sending him back means the season is done and the panthers are going to tank. Excellent move imo dont want to ruin his confidence.

Yeah, because calling him up and sending him back down as a reward must be great for a person's confidence. :shakehead

Now, he gets to go back down to the AHL where he has nothing left to prove to play on a team that's just as ****** as the NHL version. Great confidence-booster. All this while we get to watch Jose Theodore and Scott Clemmensen play for no reason because, well, the season seems over. But we're still going to play our mid-30's aged goaltenders because it's great for development!

This is ridiculous.

If this was the plan, they never should've called him up in the first place. Flat out stupid.

The guy plays two good games against the two best teams in the conference and he's sent back down.

I hope Theodore or Clemmensen are gone soon.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
What would be more damaging to his confidence, playing in behind a **** team and getting lit up in the NHL or playing in front of a **** team and getting lit up in the AHL?

Certainly he'll be under less of a microscope in the ahl. I believe in clean slates. Let it be next year. Him having a 40 save performance that clemmensen would have let in 5 goals would hurt more if the objective is to tank. Its difficult to hear but I cant reiterate enough in the nhl the way it works in order to be successful in the long run is the team is either all in or all out.

The reason this team is so mediocre over history is because of poor management who kept getting this team in the damaging grey zone between sucking and playoffs. At least tallon recognizes that situation is unacceptable.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

that makes no sense. I am confident he'd rather get his arse kicked up here in the big show then get bussed around the minors.

Get the remaining season under his belt in the NHL.

this is about $$$ and not eating clemmers contract, and not what is in the best interest of winning and the fans.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Certainly he'll be under less of a microscope in the ahl. I believe in clean slates. Let it be next year. Him having a 40 save performance that clemmensen would have let in 5 goals would hurt more if the objective is to tank. Its difficult to hear but I cant reiterate enough in the nhl the way it works in order to be successful in the long run is the team is either all in or all out.

Nope. Teams dont tank. they need to sell tickets. They mailed out thousands of renewals. they have club dead embarrassingly sitting empty.

What percentage renew a tanked team?

Erick*

Why couldn't they just keep the 3 goalies for now? Does it matter? I guess it's because Versteeg is coming back to float soon and Upshall is coming back to do nothing so there's no room on the roster?

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Nope. Teams dont tank. they need to sell tickets. They mailed out thousands of renewals. they have club dead embarrassingly sitting empty.

What percentage renew a tanked team?

AG a shrewd business person salvages short term success for long run growth. What team sells more tickets in the long run the one that finishes between 10-13th in the conference every year or one that finishes 14-15th a couple of years and then is a perennial playoff contender the next 10. Thats what a top 5 draft pick can secure us imo.

I might be wrong with the confidence part, but Id rather save Markstrom's stellar play for when we can actually win games. The rest of our team is absolute garbage, I would hate to see him be the only player showing up and getting same results (we did that for 10 years and the goalie's name was Roberto Luongo)

Jan 19, 2006
Great! since theyve given up, and wont dress the best players, ill get a full refund for the remaning games right?

:laugh: Money? From the Panthers???

Have you even gotten a refund into your account for the games that were actually cancelled?

I feel your frustration AG. We're in the same boat - looking at a bunch of tickets to games that feel more like a dose of bad medicine than an enjoyable escape.

It sucks... and after 12 years of this crap we deserve better.

Erick*

AG a shrewd business person salvages short term success for long run growth. What team sells more tickets in the long run the one that finishes between 10-13th in the conference every year or one that finishes 14-15th a couple of years and then is a perennial playoff contender the next 10. Thats what a top 5 draft pick can secure us imo.

We've proven we can lose with Markstrom in net, too. So why not just lose with him, while he gets experience where he clearly belongs?

CoolburnIsGone

I dont mind him being sent back down...he still can work on few things to improve like rebound control. This taste was good for him and the club and it wont hurt his confidence either way. Tallon knows what he has in him and I'm sure will work the phones to figure out a way to trade one of our current goalies before the trade deadline passes, then he'll be recalled to stay.

Panthers607

I dont mind him being sent back down...he still can work on few things to improve like rebound control. This taste was good for him and the club and it wont hurt his confidence either way. Tallon knows what he has in him and I'm sure will work the phones to figure out a way to trade one of our current goalies before the trade deadline passes, then he'll be recalled to stay.

When is the trade deadline this year?

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Around April 3rd IIRC. So just over 5 weeks away.
The move is to cut clemmer and lick their wounds and give us the best chance to win...but thats not the way this franchise works.

Which is why it may be smart if many of us dont renew till after July and see exactly what the roster will be like.

CoolburnIsGone

The move is to cut clemmer and lick their wounds and give us the best chance to win...but thats not the way this franchise works.

Which is why it may be smart if many of us dont renew till after July and see exactly what the roster will be like.
I disagree...thats bad asset & business management. You don't just cut $1.2M in salary without feeling it in multiple ways. I'm glad this franchise doesnt work that way either. They dont make rash decisions anymore and will figure a way to move a goalie soon enough. In the meantime, Markstrom can continue to work on little things in his game that can improve and will be re-called eventually.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I might be wrong with the confidence part, but Id rather save Markstrom's stellar play for when we can actually win games. The rest of our team is absolute garbage, I would hate to see him be the only player showing up and getting same results (we did that for 10 years and the goalie's name was Roberto Luongo)

What's wrong with Markstrom being the only player on our team showing up for teh rest of the season? How does him playing on our crappy team for the rest of his year hurt his confidence? He is supposed to be an elite goaltender, if that hurts his confidence then he isn't an elite goaltender anyways.

You mention Luongo as if we ruined him, but he has been one of the best goaltenders in the league for the last 10 years! We would be so lucky if Markstrom has a similar career to the one that that Luongo has had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad