Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Markov. He was an absolute warrior. I was around here defending him when most of you wanted him thrown under a bus. The guy would have been a helpful player with limited minutes during the regular season... but he just couldn't keep up in the playoffs anymore.

Don't you guys remember that?

I agree but we should of had him back if he was willing to come back for one year at $5M. It's hard to say what his line in the sand deal was for one year. It's also hard to say what the take it or leave it deal he was offered from Bergevin.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I agree but we should of had him back if he was willing to come back for one year at $5M. It's hard to say what his line in the sand deal was for one year. It's also hard to say what the take it or leave it deal he was offered from Bergevin.
Am I dreaming to say it was somewhere in the 3 million range and with bonuses?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Am I dreaming to say it was somewhere in the 3 million range and with bonuses?

No idea and I would love to know! Personally, after I realized Radulov was not re-signing. I would of easily gave Markov $5M. Rumors were that Markov was looking for 2 years at $6M so I suspect he was looking for north of $6M for one year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No idea and I would love to know! Personally, after I realized Radulov was not re-signing. I would of easily gave Markov $5M. Rumors were that Markov was looking for 2 years at $6M so I suspect he was looking for north of $6M for one year.
Markov said he would have accepted 1 year deal. Markov was not trying to sneak cash out of the organization, so even if it was more...what was it..1M more? Who cares. We have a ton of cash and no one to spend it on. It's a one year deal.

Last edited:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
We have like $10M in cap space. There's no reason whatsoever to not have signed Markov to even a one year $7M contract if he wanted it.

Reactions: PaulD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We have like $10M in cap space. There's no reason whatsoever to not have signed Markov to even a one year $7M contract if he wanted it.

I disagree on this. Markov can barely play a full 82 game schedule and we needed as much cap space as possible if we were to add another piece. It's easy to evaluate in hindsight but the plan in the summer was to go after a center if the situation presented itself. We were entertaining offers for Galchenyuk so the cap space was important... at the time :(

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Markov said he would have accepted 1 year deal. Markov was not trying to sneak cash out of the organization, so even if it was more...what was it..1M more? Who cares.

It's not smart to throw money at a 39 year old and use all your cap space when you need to save money for a center. It's easy for you to say what you are saying today knowing what you know today. $5M for Markov at age 39 was a fair deal IMO but none of us know what we were offering him and what he was asking for.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's not smart to throw money at a 39 year old and use all your cap space when you need to save money for a center. It's easy for you to say what you are saying today knowing what you know today. $5M for Markov at age 39 was a fair deal IMO but none of us know what we were offering him and what he was asking for.
Go back to the threads. There is no hindsight here.
We were not getting a center. There was absolutely no reason to believe that. It was completely illogical to argue signing Markov was going to prevent us from getting a center. I thoroughly explained why at the time and I was spot on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Go back to the threads. There is no hindsight here.
We were not getting a center. There was absolutely no reason to believe that. It was completely illogical to argue signing Markov was going to prevent us from getting a center. I thoroughly explained why at the time and I was spot on.

That is not smart management of your cap. End of story and I don't care how much you hate Bergevin. You can be negative all you want and say we will never get a center... one day we will with or without Bergevin as our GM. The past does not equal the future.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Remember something though, if Bergevin actually respected Markov the whole thing never gets to that point. Bergevin's history of tossing out contracts only seems to apply to players that he respects or likes and not so much to the others. Markov was 10 games shy of 1000 in a habs uni, a big accomplishment, where was the respect for a player that loyal to a franchise? He was arguably our best defender last season and we try and replace him with a handful of scrubs? If Karl Alzner is worth 5 million per year, Andrei Markov is worth at least 8-9 million on a 1 year deal.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
That is not smart management of your cap. End of story and I don't care how much you hate Bergevin. You can be negative all you want and say we will never get a center... one day we will with or without Bergevin as our GM. The past does not equal the future.
We had Drouin before Markov was a UFA. For better or worse, Bergevin was convinced that Drouin would be our #1 centre. I imagine he also figured that Plekanec or Danault would be the #2, with the other one and Mitchell being #3 and #4.

Markov - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - Schlemko

is a hell of a lot better than

Alzner - Weber
Benn - Patry
??? - Schlemko

Mete only made the team since Markov wasn't around and we needed a PMD badly, but there was no way to know he'd be making the team in July.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Remember something though, if Bergevin actually respected Markov the whole thing never gets to that point. Bergevin's history of tossing out contracts only seems to apply to players that he respects or likes and not so much to the others. Markov was 10 games shy of 1000 in a habs uni, a big accomplishment, where was the respect for a player that loyal to a franchise? He was arguably our best defender last season and we try and replace him with a handful of scrubs? If Karl Alzner is worth 5 million per year, Andrei Markov is worth at least 8-9 million on a 1 year deal.

Lets say Markov asks for $7M for one year. Bergevin says $5M take it or leave it and has plans with the other $3M+ in cap space as he will need this if he makes a trade for a center and takes on salary. I would of done the same. Markov should of not represented himself if he was going to get upset.

Just an example and like I said, none of us know the actual numbers. There are a lot of fans who were predicting Bergevin would screw up with improving our team this past season and then ended up right (for this season anyways). That don't mean we should of thrown money at Markov before we know how our season would of gone. Predicting a bottom 5 finish was not something most predicted.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We had Drouin before Markov was a UFA. For better or worse, Bergevin was convinced that Drouin would be our #1 centre. I imagine he also figured that Plekanec or Danault would be the #2, with the other one and Mitchell being #3 and #4.

Markov - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - Schlemko

is a hell of a lot better than

Alzner - Weber
Benn - Patry
??? - Schlemko

Mete only made the team since Markov wasn't around and we needed a PMD badly, but there was no way to know he'd be making the team in July.

All depends on how much Markov was asking for and what Bergevin offered him. I will never blame any GM for trying to target bigger fish vs a 39 year old defenseman who can't play a 82 NHL game schedule and has 3 pts in his last 18 playoff games. Especially when we need a top 2 center. Even if Drouin was a better center than he showed this year, we still needed another center.

We need a big fish or no fish. I would of liked Markov back for $5M or less but I also like that we will be getting a very good pick in this next draft as well.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Lets say Markov asks for $7M for one year. Bergevin says $5M take it or leave it and has plans with the other $3M+ in cap space as he will need this if he makes a trade for a center and takes on salary. I would of done the same. Markov should of not represented himself if he was going to get upset.

Just an example and like I said, none of us know the actual numbers. There are a lot of fans who were predicting Bergevin would screw up with improving our team this past season and then ended up right (for this season anyways). That don't mean we should of thrown money at Markov before we know how our season would of gone. Predicting a bottom 5 finish was not something most predicted.
Our GM targeted Karl Alzner, enough said. We do not agree on much. Cheers.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
As a player MB could not tie Markov skates. Markov will be better at 50 years old than MB was in his prime.

But the General was not "foxhole guy" in Bargain Bins skillful eye. :sarcasm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The poll should have a 3rd option. Yes I wanted him back for a reasonable cap hit but we were not going to be making the playoffs with our center depth.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our GM targeted Karl Alzner, enough said. We do not agree on much. Cheers.

Yes, that was an error in judgment for sure! I suspect Bergevin though Alzner would be a rock on D but the game is getting faster and Alzner has no offense and is not a very good skater. I would of been ok with 3 years at $3M for Alzner. 5 years at $4.625 was a bad deal!

Even without Alzner, I still don't throw money are Markov. $5M (+/-) would of been a solid offer. Wish I knew what it actually was and what Markov was asking for!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
As a player MB could not tie Markov skates. Markov will be better at 50 years old than MB was in his prime.

But the General was not "foxhole guy" in Bargain Bins skillful eye. :sarcasm:
Exactly!! He tossed 15 million dollars at Alzner,Plekanec and Shaw for this season and people still defend his decisions? He plays hardball with players he does not want and overpays the scrubs that he loves, is it even a debate after 6 years?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yes, that was an error in judgment for sure! I suspect Bergevin though Alzner would be a rock on D but the game is getting faster and Alzner has no offense and is not a very good skater. I would of been ok with 3 years at $3M for Alzner. 5 years at $4.625 was a bad deal!

Even without Alzner, I still don't throw money are Markov. $5M (+/-) would of been a solid offer. Wish I knew what it actually was!
14 year old kids on Youtube knew this so how does it slip by an NHL gm? There is nothing left to defend at this point, you will never see things like 99% of the rest of us do, keep on believing.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
All depends on how much Markov was asking for and what Bergevin offered him. I will never blame any GM for trying to target bigger fish vs a 39 year old defenseman who can't play a 82 NHL game schedule and has 3 pts in his last 18 playoff games. Especially when we need a top 2 center. Even if Drouin was a better center than he showed this year, we still needed another center.

We need a big fish or no fish. I would of liked Markov back for $5M or less but I also like that we will be getting a very good pick in this next draft as well.
Everyone knew the Habs needed a centre, but Bergevin thought he had one. That's my point. Bergevin had no intentions of going after someone else via free agency. He had his man.

Not signing Markov is just another huge mistake that this buffoon has made.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Everyone knew the Habs needed a centre, but Bergevin thought he had one. That's my point. Bergevin had no intentions of going after someone else via free agency. He had his man.

He felt like his choices were better, he thought that Schlemko, Streit, Alzner and Benn were better than the guys he let go, it's all on Bergevin. I also say this in fear of what he will trade Max Pacioretty for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

My point is most think we needed two centers. Not re-signing or signing Markov don't mean much with our team sucuess. We are still not making the playoffs with Markov as a 39 year old this year.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I disagree on this. Markov can barely play a full 82 game schedule and we needed as much cap space as possible if we were to add another piece. It's easy to evaluate in hindsight but the plan in the summer was to go after a center if the situation presented itself. We were entertaining offers for Galchenyuk so the cap space was important... at the time :(
Do not agree, the center situation was "filled" in Bergevin's mind the second he got Drouin.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
My point is most think we needed two centers. Not re-signing or signing Markov don't mean much with our team sucuess. We are still not making the playoffs with Markov as a 39 year old this year.
Your point doesn't matter though.

Bergevin thought we needed one centre, and got Drouin. Bergevin was content going into the season with Drouin, Plekanec, Danault, Mitchell at our centres.

We still had $10M of cap space and a shitty defense.

Not signing Markov was a horrible move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad