Markov signs with AK Bars (KHL) [MOD WARNING POST 60]

Markov could help Montreal if he stay in Canadiens?

• Yes. This boy elite defenser

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • No. He s too old and too slow

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Andrei Markov felt disrespected by Bergevin.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-andrei-markov-felt-disrespectede-canadiens-bergevin/

So Bergevin barely spoke with him. He gave him a few low ball offers and told him take it or leave it without even listening to Markov’s point of view. They barely spoke, he just gave him the offer and left it at that.

It’s not mentionned in this article but Chantal Machabée commented on the radio regarding this situation and supposedly Markov was asking for 6M but Bergevin was dead set on his offer and didn’t even try to negotiate with Markov.

What a stupid idiot, meanwhile that other stupid idiot Molson today...

Canadiens owner Geoff Molson says Marc Bergevin has his full support - Sportsnet.ca

Molson répond à Markov et parle de Québec - TVA Sports

This is disappointing but honestly doesn't surprise me. And you know what? It's a damn shame.

We used to be an organization that did things right, that treated our players with respect. To me, this is worse than the Camilleri jersey thing. Markov was here for 17 seasons. 17.

Was he not worth a sit-down dinner to talk about his future, his contract and his role going forward? This was a respected leader on the team and someone who bled red, white and blue for us.

Reading between the lines, it was not the money that pissed him off. It was the total lack of respect.

I get it's a business, and you have to make decisions in the best interest of the club but it's hard enough to attract players to this hockey-mad market, and you have a guy like Markov who will only play with us and you shit all over him after 17 years in the organization. Quite a message to send.

I wonder what would have happened if Bergevin took Markov out to dinner and took the approach "Hey, you've been one of the best defensemen to ever play for our organization and a leader, and we have no problem giving you what you want for one year. But I have some concerns about the 2nd year, and I'd like to share them with you and see if we can't work out a solution that works for both of us to address those concerns. We want to keep you in the organization, that's a given, we just got to figure out how to do it and i'd like to hear your ideas how we can make that happen." Does anyone think it may have went differently?

Was Markov not worth 3 sentences, an open discussion and a semblance of respect after 17 years?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I know this thread has a pro Markov feel going in but I’m gonna upset the apples cart a little.

First, there’s a reason players have agents. Negotiations are hard. It’s not about coming to a kumbayah moment when you become best friends. That’s why so many players avoid salary arbitration when they have to be brought into the process. Markov should not have put himself in a position to not have representation. That’s just never a good move.

Secondly, Markov confidence that he would have received the money he wanted through bonuses. So any talk of low balling is pretty silly. Would you want a GM who guaranteed $6M to his 39 y.o D or said fine, I’ll give it to you but you have to earn it. Sounds like a responsibly move to me.

Now I’m no Bergevin apologist. Frankly I think he should be replaced for not advancing this team forward when he was in a golden opportunity to do so and was a piece or two away from being a legit contender. Not getting a no.1 centre in SIX years is unforgivable especially when you think of the assets he’s traded away in those 6 years. BUT, coming down on him for this is only half right. If Markov wanted to be here, he’d be here. He was the one who felt offended and could grow a thicker skin. This is a multimillion dollar business. If you can’t handle a tough negotiation then hire a fcking agent. This is as much in Marky as it is on Bergy. Probably more so IMO.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I know this thread has a pro Markov feel going in but I’m gonna upset the apples cart a little.

First, there’s a reason players have agents. Negotiations are hard. It’s not about coming to a kumbayah moment when you become best friends. That’s why so many players avoid salary arbitration when they have to be brought into the process. Markov should not have put himself in a position to not have representation. That’s just never a good move.

Secondly, Markov confidence that he would have received the money he wanted through bonuses. So any talk of low balling is pretty silly. Would you want a GM who guaranteed $6M to his 39 y.o D or said fine, I’ll give it to you but you have to earn it. Sounds like a responsibly move to me.

Now I’m no Bergevin apologist. Frankly I think he should be replaced for not advancing this team forward when he was in a golden opportunity to do so and was a piece or two away from being a legit contender. Not getting a no.1 centre in SIX years is unforgivable especially when you think of the assets he’s traded away in those 6 years. BUT, coming down on him for this is only half right. If Markov wanted to be here, he’d be here. He was the one who felt offended and could grow a thicker skin. This is a multimillion dollar business. If you can’t handle a tough negotiation then hire a fcking agent. This is as much in Marky as it is on Bergy. Probably more so IMO.

I have to say I don't entirely disagree with you. You do bring some valid points. Yes, it's a 2-way thing. Thing is....seeing and hearing Bergevin talk...it's not that hard to see how condescendant the guy can be and while we were not in the negotiations, clearly this is something Markov felt. I don't really care about the agent though. This is and was probably Markov last contract. He wanted 2 years. Yep...it's possible that it could have been 1 year too many. But geez....giving all those contrats and money to Price, Shaw, Alzner, Petry and Co....and SUDDENLY freaking out because you might be giving 1 small year too much to Markov becomes a problem? Especially after you just traded his replacement for a forward that maybe keeping Markov would give you 2 additional years through the draft or another trade to find another one? Insane how it's not a problem to give huge contracts to Shaw and Alzner, that are in the end not what talent is all about, and can't give it to Radulov and Markov.

Incredibly enough, it's Bergevin who, frustrated by Radulov not signing, said that if you want loyalty you need a dog....where was his loyalty to a guy who was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens 19 years ago? So Bergevin thinks it was more obvious for Radulov to sign here then for him to accept Markov last wishes? For 1 freakin year? It was too much to ask to meet Markov and talk to him? As I said before....Bergevin has already the persona to be so full of himself, the only thing it took to make sure he'd stay that way was to hand him a 5-year contract. Molson took a condescending man and transformed him into a worst one. And that's what Markov had trouble with. And in the end, we have 10M$ sleeping in the vault. And a bad defensive corps on top of it. All this in a year were aside from TBay, this is probably the worst era that the Eastern Conference has seen as bad as it was before. With some kind of wisdom, you can totally go to the Eastern Finals this year and then who knows. Yet, Bergevin plan is not about that. It's about making the playoffs and then who knows.....a recipe that brought this team nothing so far.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

GMs generally dislike agents as a rule. Players started getting them long ago because they were getting jerked around by GMs. Like Markov just did.
MB is a moron. Dealt badly with PKs agent. Dealt badly wiith Radulovs agent. Dealt badly with Markovs non agent.

Yes a young rookie or any player still green around the gills should never go in to negotiate without an agent. A 17 year vet who never had one. Who is signing a one year final deal before retiring from the only team he vere played and starred for? Agent is not essential. Unless of course you have an ass of a high school drop out sitting in the GMs chair while staring at himself in the mirror. :laugh:

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Yes a young rookie or any player still green around the gills should never go in to negotiate without an agent. A 17 year vet who never had one. Who is signing a one year final deal before retiring from the only team he vere played and starred for? Agent is not essential. Unless of course you have an ass of a high school drop out sitting in the GMs chair while staring at himself in the mirror. :laugh:
100% my view on it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I have to say I don't entirely disagree with you. You do bring some valid points. Yes, it's a 2-way thing. Thing is....seeing and hearing Bergevin talk...it's not that hard to see how condescendant the guy can be and while we were not in the negotiations, clearly this is something Markov felt. I don't really care about the agent though. This is and was probably Markov last contract. He wanted 2 years. Yep...it's possible that it could have been 1 year too many. But geez....giving all those contrats and money to Price, Shaw, Alzner, Petry and Co....and SUDDENLY freaking out because you might be giving 1 small year too much to Markov becomes a problem? Especially after you just traded his replacement for a forward that maybe keeping Markov would give you 2 additional years through the draft or another trade to find another one? Insane how it's not a problem to give huge contracts to Shaw and Alzner, that are in the end not what talent is all about, and can't give it to Radulov and Markov.

Incredibly enough, it's Bergevin who, frustrated by Radulov not signing, said that if you want loyalty you need a dog....where was his loyalty to a guy who was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens 19 years ago? So Bergevin thinks it was more obvious for Radulov to sign here then for him to accept Markov last wishes? For 1 freakin year? It was too much to ask to meet Markov and talk to him? As I said before....Bergevin has already the persona to be so full of himself, the only thing it took to make sure he'd stay that way was to hand him a 5-year contract. Molson took a condescending man and transformed him into a worst one. And that's what Markov had trouble with. And in the end, we have 10M$ sleeping in the vault. And a bad defensive corps on top of it. All this in a year were aside from TBay, this is probably the worst era that the Eastern Conference has seen as bad as it was before. With some kind of wisdom, you can totally go to the Eastern Finals this year and then who knows. Yet, Bergevin plan is not about that. It's about making the playoffs and then who knows.....a recipe that brought this team nothing so far.

I dont disagree with most of what you’re saying either. Though my interpretation of Bergevins comment about loyalty was more about not expecting it than the opposite which would go both ways.

In any case, in most breakups there’s always three sides. Bergevin’s, Markov’s and the truth. Most people who have an axe to grind with Bergevin will latch on to any reason to throw mud which only weakens their overall case imo. Bergevin isn’t entirely terrible in every conceivable aspect though some here would have you believe that.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I dont disagree with most of what you’re saying either. Though my interpretation of Bergevins comment about loyalty was more about not expecting it than the opposite which would go both ways.

In any case, in most breakups there’s always three sides. Bergevin’s, Markov’s and the truth. Most people who have an axe to grind with Bergevin will latch on to any reason to throw mud which only weakens their overall case imo. Bergevin isn’t entirely terrible in every conceivable aspect though some here would have you believe that.

In the end, no matter the sides, the end result is that we lost both Radu and Markov. Unless proven that both guys or just one of them really wanted to go and never wanted to come back no matter the offer.....it will go back to the player. The way Markov comes back in full force and saying what he said has to say that he had the intention to come back. And somehow, Bergevin wanted to save money and term for a guy, despite his age, we desesperately needed. While giving money and terms to some guys we don't.

Yet, it could be easy to think that Radulov only used Montreal to get back in the show and cash in. Even if I don't know for sure, you can easily think that. But Markov? Bergevin had to come to an agreement. This Alzner signing was just stupid. And will be worst as the years pass by. We were worried for Markov 2nd year....we will be worried in Alzner 2nd year too. Difference? There will be more years to Alzner contract....And I'm not talking about Weber contract...

There is just a huge lack of logic. I really don't get how that 2nd year to Markov WAS the big no-no for him based on EVERYTHING else he has done so far. Just think about that. Not a 4-year contract here. A 2 year. And we know that he,d be good in his 1st year.

Last edited:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
If it looks and smells like a Donkey it's a Donkey, and MB smells like a Donkey.

Was very clear from the begining that he badly disrespected both Markov and Radulov. Some of you had some serious blinders on, or living in La La Land.

They both wanted to be here, but they also both have Pride. And nobody with Pride is gona accept being treated like a dog.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If it looks and smells like a Donkey it's a Donkey, and MB smells like a Donkey.

Was very clear from the begining that he badly disrespected both Markov and Radulov. Some of you had some serious blinders on, or living in La La Land.

They both wanted to be here, but they also both have Pride. And nobody with Pride is gona accept being treated like a dog.
You can add Subban, Galchenyuk, Radulov and a few other to that list.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Jul 6, 2016
Yesterday, I saw the interview he gave to TVA Sport. I rarely seen or heard Markov give so many answers and talk for so long. He seemed really sad at the end of the interview when he said that he was missing Habs fans, Molson Centre atmosphere and Montreal.

He seems happy with his twin sons, his new wife and their young daughter. But GOD, his appartment in Russia is far from being as luxurious than any appartements or houses he got in Montreal. Pretty shabby - basic.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
why am i not one bit surprised?.....what an arrogant jerk

no wonder why a lot of players don't want to play here.....things like this get around fast to other players, probably the same reason radulov left too
Hold on there. I was told that players are robots and don't care about how they are treated. They just leave because reasons.

Jul 6, 2016

Subban was given the biggest, richest contract in the whole History of the Montreal Cnadiens;
Radulov's agent was as arrogant and rigid than MB - many reporters said it.
Don't make me cry with Galchy. At some point, the guy has to take his destiny into his own hands and perform.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

To be fair MB is sorta right. Given how bad the east is, anyone outside of two teams can certainly make it the the ECF. Stanley cup not so much, but certainly ECF. And that is pretty much a Stanley cup at this point to some hab fans. Hell he could get a 10 year extension if they wins a single ECF game!_we weren't meant to beat TB or the Penguins. They are so strong..right right.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Subban was given the biggest, richest contract in the whole History of the Montreal Cnadiens;
Radulov's agent was as arrogant and rigid than MB - many reporters said it.
Don't make me cry with Galchy. At some point, the guy has to take his destiny into his own hands and perform.

Money is not equal to treatment. Therrien acted like Subban was trash, from day one, with Bergevin's endorsement, by the way.

Oh, an agent was doing his job with due diligence? God, I think I'm going to faint. I hope he didn't make Bergevin cry...

Galchenyuk performed worse on the 4th line with crap linemates and unskilled wingers. That's a huge surprise. I'm sure being made the scapegoat by the GM and coach should have made him a better person as well.

Support Bergevin all you like, but it might be more useful to use arguments that are more than run of the mill sycophancy.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
This is on Markov, and Markov alone.

Habs wanted to offer only a one year contract, because he's 38 year olds. Even Detroit went on a year by year basis with Lidstrom when he got old, and Lidstrom is a top 5 defensemen all time. Markov, demanded 2 years and then threatened he wasn't going to resign (if he didn't get the deal he wanted). Then when Markov realized no team was going to offer a 38 year old defensemen a two year deal, he came back asking Montreal for a one year deal (as a compromise), but it was too late, Habs had already acquired Schlemko. Markov is just a whiner, because he didn't get his way. Well tough luck, wanna play hard ball? Deal with the consequences, shut up and move on.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017

Subban thought he was bigger than the team, players and coaches got annoyed with his attitude, hence he was traded.

Unlike Gallagher, Galchenyuk shows up half the time.

Radulov was offered the same exact contract Dallas offered. He chose Dallas, and instead of saying he wanted to go play for a team that had more offensive talent (in Dallas), he then attempted to spin the story trying to blame Habs management.

Regardless, Radulov's contract is going to look ugly after 1-2 years. Thankfully we saved that money, and potentially pay a player like Tavares.

Habs would not be better with Markov in the lineup, other defensemen have chipped in this year.

Bergevin is not perfect, but he's not at fault when it comes to these stories. It's on the players.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Subban thought he was bigger than the team, players and coaches got annoyed with his attitude, hence he was traded.

Radulov was offered the same exact contract Dallas offered. He chose Dallas, and instead of saying he wanted to go play for a team that had more offensive talent (in Dallas), he then attempted to spin the story trying to blame Habs management.

Regardless, Radulov's contract is going to look ugly after 1-2 years. Thankfully we saved that money, and potentially pay a player like Tavares.

Habs would not be better with Markov in the lineup, other defensemen have chipped in this year.

Bergevin is not perfect, but he's not at fault when it comes to these stories. It's on the players.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

Habs wanted to offer only a one year contract, because he's 38 year olds. Even Detroit went on a year by year basis with Lidstrom when he got old, and Lidstrom is a top 5 defensemen all time. Markov, demanded 2 years and then threatened he wasn't going to resign (if he didn't get the deal he wanted). Then when Markov realized no team was going to offer a 38 year old defensemen a two year deal, he came back asking Montreal for a one year deal (as a compromise), but it was too late, Habs had already acquired Schlemko. Markov is just a whiner, because he didn't get his way. Well tough luck, wanna play hard ball? Deal with the consequences, shut up and move on.

What the hell is this garbage?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

On what f***ing planet would anyone think that an 30 year old Phoenix reject who has NEVER SHOWN ANY SIGNIFICANT OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER would be adequate to fill in for a one of the most consistent regular season Dmen in the league?

The cap inflates every year. Getting Markov at 5.75 million for so long without him asking for a raise until now was his hometown discount on his part. He cost only 8.33% against the cap. Not to be mention we have so empty cap space this year that there is no issue giving him a modest raise. Not many Dmen consistently gets 45-50 every year.

It's hilarious how fans murder any player who demands more pay but overlook the fact that the bosses get a much larger piece of the pie. Players are like tools. Spend money on the cheap and shitty tools and they'll fail you if you use them to make a living. There's a f***ing reason there's a market for DeWalt or Snap-on. Tools breaking in the middle of a job are gonna cost you time, money, and misery. Bergevin thought his $5 Harbor Freight socket set(Schlemko) could perform just as well as the $100 Snap-on(Markov).

Reactions: JoelWarlord

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

pure garbage and the results show it

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

You aren't fooling us Marc Bergevin, we know it's you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad