Markham, Ontario planning to build a 19,000 seat arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
One possibility is for Markham to build a bare bones arena with the ability to build out the luxury accommodations once a team arrives. Thats what OKC did with their arena.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Get serious folks. Copps Coliseum was built in hopes of an NHL franchise. It did not come. There is no bleeping way Gary Bettman would make such a guarantee.
John Ziegler was president when Copps was built. Bettman didnt become commish until Copps was already eight years old. Ziegler oversaw the merger with the WHA and was said to be supportive of a team in the hammer when Copps was proposed.

Last edited:

99gecko

Apr 21, 2012
Markham, ON
Hi All,

Long time lurker - first time poster here, so please be patient with me.

Anyway, I live in Markham, less than 3 KM from the proposed site, and I drive by it almost everyday on the way to work. I have mixed feelings about this building.

To me, building this without a confirmed tenant is ridiculous. Until such time that a full-time, hockey tenant is found, I'll just call it what it is: a sports, entertainment and culture centre. Someone suggested that the Waxers Jr B. team could play there, but that is silly since they only draw a couple hundred as it is, and my experience has been that a bunch of those are getting in free.

Of course the developers want to build it; the value of any of their other holdings in the area will increase. However, as others have suggested, this could become a white elephant.

Interesting that this got announced today to be built right across the road from the proposed facility : http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1299561--updated-markham-shows-off-pan-am-sports-hub.

Personally, I'm not certain I would support a NHL team in Markham at that location. After sitting in traffic jams on the 417 going to games at Scotia Bank Place in Kanata, I agree the existing infrastructure is highly inadequate (assuming week night games would be played at 7:00 PM).

For a team name if an NHL team ever ended up there, I would like to see the "Millionaires" name revived (name prior to the Markham Jets I believe); a lot of blood was spilled on those jerseys. And in this era, the players are averaging out as millionaires, and the fans almost have to be one to be a season ticket holder ! ;)

I believe the Markham council is having a special meeting tomorrow evening to determine whether this proposal goes forward.

cheers.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
That MISTA thing was announced back in February. They're building it where that old warehouse is being demolished.

This is probably more relevant:http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1342864--confidential-report-details-markham-s-nhl-dreams

Wow, nice find:

...senior Markham officials met with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and other officials from senior hockey organizations in 2010.

The proposal from businessman Graeme Roustan, CEO of GTA Sports and Entertainment, has stressed the focus of the centre would be concerts and cultural events and not about having a professional sports team on site as a tenant.

However, the confidential report suggests otherwise
, citing Markham is concerned other events may fail to support rent without a franchise

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
.... "interested private parties coming out of the woodwork", and one of them with some serious NHL ties, interested in partnering up for a 100% privately financed facility. Markham "unaware" if they even entered into an exclusivity agreement. Looks like this decision could be "deferred" tomorrow night. And what to make of this mysterious "Nhl relo meeting of next week"?. Whats that all about?. Where?. When?. Who's involved?. Whats goin on?...

marp

Mar 8, 2012
The more I read about this, the more brilliant it seems.

Since last Friday I've been scratching my head over why the hell Markham wants to own the arena and call it a "community centre". I've seen the mayor really pushing the fact that it will be a place for the "community" to use when there's no events happening and that people will "be able to walk in the door without needing a ticket." Very cool idea and certainly something that will help generate "civic pride" as the report says.

But more interestingly, is the way that development practices change for buildings deemed to be a "municipal capital facility". (city halls, public squares, parks, etc) Land taxes aren't paid on these types of properties, and construction costs are calculated totally differently. A property of that size and use would be paying a TON of money to the town. Say...about 200 million over the next twenty years. Thats serious money. Enough to give a signifigant head-start to the cost of a franchise relocation to the potential team owners.

The town doesn't want to entertain ideas from new investors because no matter what they offer, it wouldn't provide the same financial benefit and developer leverage as the the town owning it.

Like I said. It's pretty brilliant. Risky as ****. But brilliant.

Thoughts?

Ignoramus*

I've seen the mayor really pushing the fact that it will be a place for the "community" to use when there's no events happening and that people will "be able to walk in the door without needing a ticket." Very cool idea and certainly something that will help generate "civic pride" as the report says.

You really think that's a cool idea? Have you ever been into a public washroom?

The place is going to be an absolute dump if they let random people inside to wander around all day.

marp

Mar 8, 2012
First; I don't see many people using city hall as a poop station. I guess it depends on how the building is managed.

Second, I'm not for or against this plan. I'm just saying it's pretty unique and ballsy.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The people running Markham are doing one hell of a good job. The city has no debt. I'm sure if they decide to go with the arena it will be a huge success. Hard to argue with them after looking at their history. Great thriving community, even during some of the most bleakest economic times we've seen in recent memory.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Hi All,

Anyway, I live in Markham, less than 3 KM from the proposed site, and I drive by it almost everyday on the way to work. I have mixed feelings about this building.

To me, building this without a confirmed tenant is ridiculous. Until such time that a full-time, hockey tenant is found, I'll just call it what it is: a sports, entertainment and culture centre. Someone suggested that the Waxers Jr B. team could play there, but that is silly since they only draw a couple hundred as it is, and my experience has been that a bunch of those are getting in free.

Of course the developers want to build it; the value of any of their other holdings in the area will increase. However, as others have suggested, this could become a white elephant.

Interesting that this got announced today to be built right across the road from the proposed facility : http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1299561--updated-markham-shows-off-pan-am-sports-hub.

Personally, I'm not certain I would support a NHL team in Markham at that location. After sitting in traffic jams on the 417 going to games at Scotia Bank Place in Kanata, I agree the existing infrastructure is highly inadequate (assuming week night games would be played at 7:00 PM).

For a team name if an NHL team ever ended up there, I would like to see the "Millionaires" name revived (name prior to the Markham Jets I believe); a lot of blood was spilled on those jerseys. And in this era, the players are averaging out as millionaires, and the fans almost have to be one to be a season ticket holder ! ;)

I believe the Markham council is having a special meeting tomorrow evening to determine whether this proposal goes forward.

cheers.

A concert venue could work but they idea of a jr b team playing there no that would not work a major jr team would have a hard time making it work so there is no way a jr b team could.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Hi All,

You say you are a first time poster but the post count below your name same 3 posts. We have patience for newbies but not for liars ;)

99gecko

Apr 21, 2012
Markham, ON
^^^ You're joking right?

In case you're not, the post count in your profile goes up, the more you post. It's not a record of that particular post. Go find an old post of your own, and compare to recent one - same number. Or compare this post with the one right below (also by me).

A concert venue could work but they idea of a jr b team playing there no that would not work a major jr team would have a hard time making it work so there is no way a jr b team could.
With regards to a junior b team, I wasn't suggesting that it could work. I agree with you. I don't think anyone would consider it for more than a millisecond.

cheers

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
^^^ You're joking right?

In case you're not, the post count in your profile goes up, the more you post. It's not a record of that particular post. Go find an old post of your own, and compare to recent one - same number. Or compare this post with the one right below (also by me).

With regards to a junior b team, I wasn't suggesting that it could work. I agree with you. I don't think anyone would consider it for more than a millisecond.

cheers
He was being sarcastic.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

You say you are a first time poster but the post count below your name same (says?) 3 posts. We have patience for newbies but not for liars. ;)

Actually, we have patience for newbies and liars but NOT for people who don’t check their posts for errors. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If Toronto gets a 2nd arena, I feel sorry for all the U.S. franchises that are struggling. If they think the Canadian presence/press is suffocating with Quebec City wanting a team, wait until Toronto(2) comes-a-callin.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
^^^ You're joking right?

If course I am joking. Thats why I had a ;) on my comment.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Even if they build the arena they will never get an NHL. team because the MLSE. will pull out all the stops to make sure it never happens not to mention Markham is not equipped to handle an NHL. team 2. it dose not cater to the unserved NHL. markets of Hamilton\Kitchener\Waterloo area & southwestern Ontario markets which are the most valueble right now not Markham (GTA.) which is served by the Leafs & Marlies 3. No one in there right mind would spend 500-700 million dollars on ethier an expansion or relocation for a 2nd team in the GTA.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Even if they build the arena they will never get an NHL. team because the MLSE. will pull out all the stops to make sure it never happens not to mention Markham is not equipped to handle an NHL. team 2. it dose not cater to the unserved NHL. markets of Hamilton\Kitchener\Waterloo area & southwestern Ontario markets which are the most valueble right now not Markham (GTA.) which is served by the Leafs & Marlies 3. No one in there right mind would spend 500-700 million dollars on ethier an expansion or relocation for a 2nd team in the GTA.

I would not say never if the owners are willing to put up big money a team will end up there as with Hamilton a arena in Markham would not be good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad