Markham, Ontario planning to build a 19,000 seat arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It appears Watters was right... for once:amazed:

Bob McKenzie is reporting that billionaire developer Rudy Bratty is behind the push to bring an NHL-ready, 19,000 seat arena to Markham:

It needs to be said up front, and quite emphatically, that the NHL has no plans to put a second franchise in southern Ontario.

But if the league's view on that should ever change, there is a potential 19,500-seat arena project in Markham, Ont., that could one day turn out to be a viable option.

Sources tell TSN that Graeme Roustan, the chairman of the hockey equipment company, Bauer, who also moonlights as an arena builder, and Toronto-area land developer Rudy Bratty, ranked in 2010 by Canadian Business Magazine as the 62nd richest man in Canada with a net worth of $940 million, are working together in a massive real estate venture that includes a 19,500-seat facility that they hope will be built regardless of the NHL interest, or lack thereof, in southern Ontario.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=381071

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Anyone else catch McKenzie's report on TSN?

I didn't catch the whole thing, but I believe it's being spearheaded by the guy who owns Bauer.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=381071

Sources tell TSN that Graeme Roustan, the chairman of the hockey equipment company, Bauer, who also moonlights as an arena builder, and Toronto-area land developer Rudy Bratty, ranked in 2010 by Canadian Business Magazine as the 62nd richest man in Canada with a net worth of $940 million, are working together in a massive real estate venture that includes a 19,500-seat facility that they hope will be built regardless of the NHL interest, or lack thereof, in southern Ontario.

The arena would be built on a tract of land owned by Bratty, just west of the existing GO Transit train station in Unionville, and just north of Highway 407, but would be part of a much larger sports and entertainment complex, not unlike the Staples Center and L.A. Live entertainment block in Los Angeles. And all of that would be just one element of what's known as the Bratty-inspired Markham Centre, a $3 billion , 900-plus acre high-density residential, commercial and retail development that is part of the official plan of the town.

If this project is green lighted, the expectation is the arena will be economically viable even without a major spots tenant, that concert and show promoter Live Nation and arena management firm Global Spectrum are said to have some interest as well.

It is not a reach to suggest that Roustan's and Bratty's ultimate vision would be to one day secure an NHL franchise. Roustan was in the running to purchase the Montreal Canadiens at one point.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
No you fools! Build it in a location central to Mississauga/Brampton/Oakville! Over a 1.2 M population between those three cities and growing.

chagopian

Mar 22, 2006
Markham, Canada
as someone who's from Markham, it makes complete sense. 300,000 people in the town, it's really inconvenient to get to downtown from Markham, but the whole York Region is right there. I'm super glad that this is being talked about.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
It sounds like great news for casual NHL fans in GTA who can't score tickets to Leafs games.

But it sucks for fans in Hamilton. If this goes ahead and they secure an NHL franchise, it basically spells the end for Hamilton's efforts for a team.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
No you fools! Build it in a location central to Mississauga/Brampton/Oakville! Over a 1.2 M population between those three cities and growing.

It may be too close to Buffalo? Also, it's not like the sole point of the entire project is to get an NHL team. The point is to take advantage of a growing Markham (and i'm willing to bet the owners already have a large swath of land)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
More intrigue. So whats the deal here fella's?. Your going to build a 19,000 seat NHL specific arena to go after concert & event business, head-head with MLSE and the ACC? The subway doesnt (yet) reach that area & infrastructure investments from the muni will be required so I can see where this ones headed. Copps Coliseum Part Deux only this time much, much closer to home with all the gory bits left in. A provocative move like that should put ya'll in real solid with the suits down at the bottom of the DVP, when & if you ever get around to applying to the NHL for a relo or expansion franchise in determining indemnification fee's... sadly, Markham just might fall for it.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
It's about time we had some new flesh to gnaw on around here !

:)

At first glance:

1) It wouldn't be my ideal location, but if you already have the land and gov't support ...
2) There aren't many acts these days that would fill up a 19,000 seat stadium, yet alone one that would be in competition with the ACC.
3) Is financing in place, and where's it coming from ?

Still, pretty intriguing stuff. Not sure how the business model would justify the return on investment for an arena of this size itself, so would this mainly be a real estate play ?

Looking forward to the details on this.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
It sounds like great news for casual NHL fans in GTA who can't score tickets to Leafs games.

But it sucks for fans in Hamilton. If this goes ahead and they secure an NHL franchise, it basically spells the end for Hamilton's efforts for a team.

My heart clunked.

As you say, if this goes through it's goodbye to Hamilton forever. We'll have to see how this goes, Markham is further from Hamilton than Toronto, so if I wanted to go there as a season ticket holder it would be even harder than traveling to the ACC.

Good news for SO, tough news for those of us who wish for a team in Hamilton.

chagopian

Mar 22, 2006
Markham, Canada
More intrigue. So whats the deal here fella's?. Your going to build a 19,000 seat NHL specific arena to go after concert & event business, head-head with MLSE and the ACC? The subway doesnt (yet) reach that area & infrastructure investments from the muni will be required so I can see where this ones headed. Copps Coliseum Part Deux only this time much, much closer to home with all the gory bits left in. A provocative move like that should put ya'll in real solid with the suits down at the bottom of the DVP, when & if you ever get around to applying to the NHL for a relo or expansion franchise in determining indemnification fee's... sadly, Markham just might fall for it.

I have no idea what you're implying. Markham and the subway lol? Markham won't see a subway built in its town for at least 30 years. Richmond Hill's subway plans aren't going to be done for another 15. And without a Subway, you need to either take the Go services to get downtown, or you have to drive, or you have to pay both YRT and TTC (6.25 one way). With or without an NHL team, the Markham Center (which is what I'm assuming they're calling the downtown/uptown portion of the town) is an absolute essential for a town that has roughly 60% commuters. It's also an incredibly logical place to put an NHL team. York Region could sustain it easily.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
For those unfamiliar of the geography of this part of the GTA:

Picture10-2.png

James Duthie

Kadri is 3 Hunna
May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's kinda cool that a huge arena is being built in my City... but I don't think a NHL Franchise will be coming here soon, but if it's true, Markham Waxers would be great.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
It's kinda cool that a huge arena is being built in my City... but I don't think a NHL Franchise will be coming here soon, but if it's true, Markham Waxers would be great.

Why are they called the Waxers? Just wondering...

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
If this arena is built, but they don't get an NHL right away, would an OHL team be interested in going into this area? Or would it just be concerts and such. I'm not familiar with the GTA.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I have no idea what you're implying. Markham and the subway lol? Markham won't see a subway built in its town for at least 30 years. Richmond Hill's subway plans aren't going to be done for another 15. And without a Subway, you need to either take the Go services to get downtown, or you have to drive, or you have to pay both YRT and TTC (6.25 one way). With or without an NHL team, the Markham Center (which is what I'm assuming they're calling the downtown/uptown portion of the town) is an absolute essential for a town that has roughly 60% commuters. It's also an incredibly logical place to put an NHL team. York Region could sustain it easily.

What am I implying?. Im implying this is nothing but a real estate play by a couple of Rounders. They can "imply" to the city of Markham that "if you build it they will come", including eventually a connection (LRT) via public transit, the whole 9 yards. You dont go about receiving portions of the financing from the public trough for a mega-project like this without making a whole bunch "inferences" & "suggestions". There arent enough acts & events to fill a 19,000 seat arena up in Markham when youve got about 5-6 alternate venues in Toronto all with ease of access... this is Wang Lighthouse (sans the team) 2.0.

Now, Im not going to disagree with you that a suburban area like York Region could easily support an NHL franchise, no question about it. If they want to be honest about it, like Quebec City, and be up-front, as in "we want to secure an NHL franchise" BEFORE (un-like QC who are building it anyway, I would suggest anywhere in SO refrain from playing that game with the NHL) we build a 19,000 seat arena instead of trying to make everyone start dancing to the old familiar Kevin Costner movie, then please do so. But dont be calling an NHL sized & ready building, the centerpiece of the development, something that its not. Its a hook. Raison d'etre for the commerical, retail & residential development. IMO, Hamiltons a far better & practicable solution than Markham, Vaughan, Mississauga or the insane suggestion of KW, but by all means, go right ahead & build it on "spec". Hell, you couldnt even rent the place out to the amateurs, the GTHL or whomever for hockey because the costs would be just out of site. The AHL's not gonna cut it up there.

Last edited:

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
What am I implying?. Im implying this is nothing but a real estate play by a couple of Rounders. They can "imply" to the city of Markham that "if you build it they will come", including eventually a connection (LRT) via public transit, the whole 9 yards. You dont go about receiving portions of the financing from the public trough for a mega-project like this without making a whole bunch "inferences" & "suggestions". There arent enough acts & events to fill a 19,000 seat arena up in Markham when youve got about 5-6 alternate venues in Toronto all with ease of access... this is Wang Lighthouse (sans the team) 2.0.

Now, Im not going to disagree with you that a suburban area like York Region could easily support an NHL franchise, no question about it. If they want to be honest about it, like Quebec City, and be up-front, as in "we want to secure an NHL franchise" BEFORE (un-like QC who are building it anyway, I would suggest anywhere in SO refrain from playing that game with the NHL) we build a 19,000 seat arena instead of trying to make everyone start dancing to the old familiar Kevin Costner movie, then please do so. But dont be calling an NHL sized & ready building, the centerpiece of the development, something that its not. Its a hook. Raison d'etre for the commerical, retail & residential development. IMO, Hamiltons a far better & practicable solution than Markham, Vaughan, Mississauga or the insane suggestion of KW, but by all means, go right ahead & build it on "spec". Hell, you couldnt even rent the place out to the amateurs, the GTHL or whomever for hockey because the costs would be just out of site. The AHL's not gonna cut it up there.

Downsview is a viable option. I completely agree that this location is terrible in my opnion.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Let's just assume the NHL moved in. Would Marham basically the Islanders to New York's Rangers?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Why are they called the Waxers? Just wondering...

They were named the "Waxers" after a sponsor way back when that made furniture polish. I actually played for them for awhile. Lovely old Markham Arena. They were part of the Marlies & Leafs organizational depth charts pre-1963, then through the 60's Jr.B., part of a short lived Jr.A circuit around 73 or 74. Lots of decent graduates. Greg Millen etc. Where the clubs at now I havent a clue...

Downsview is a viable option. I completely agree that this location is terrible in my opnion.

I agree. If Toronto is indeed going to receive a 2nd team, Downsview makes the most sense in terms of location & ease of access. I still prefer Hamilton but if its Toronto2 or nothing that spots ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad