Rumor: Mark Streit received 1 year offer from Bergevin (TVA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Incredible the amount of overreaction for a rumor...

Yeah, and then this "rumor" is used as fact to critize Bergevin. Personally, I have no issues with acquiring Streit as long as it's close to a $1M salary. If it don't work, we bury his cap hit in the minors. Exact same deal Hemsky got.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Yeah, and then this "rumor" is used as fact to critize Bergevin. Personally, I have no issues with acquiring Streit as long as it's close to a $1M salary. If it don't work, we bury his cap hit in the minors. Exact same deal Hemsky got.

What's sad is that no matter how bad these rumors are , the usual suspects are always out ready to defend their pal Bergevin.

"Oh he is so smart being prudent"....Yeah you guys are so right we need to be really careful to make sure to ice the most average cap team ever.

Year after year garbage results and there are always new reasons to defend this guy.

Anytime anyone criticizes the GM with legitimate reasons (bad results , suspect vision , plan that changes every year) , they get called management haters.

The reason the trend of hating management is present is simple , the Habs have done a poor job of hiring the right people for several decades now.

Lets keep hoping for the best and being surprised every year when our results are mediocre at best. One thing is clear we aren't in capable hands and haven't been for a while.

At least the Circus is entertaining...:popcorn:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Ok so the older streit who was horrid is going to get a contract, but we cant sign our best P/60 dman because he is too old. Ok thanks MBDL you guys are giving me a great laugh today. I could care less about the dollars. We dont need streit, he brings nothing at this point. Its like MB views everything from 10 years ago. Hope this is a stupid rumour, because its an even stupider signing if its real.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's sad is that no matter how bad these rumors are , the usual suspects are always out ready to defend their pal Bergevin.

"Oh he is so smart being prudent"....Yeah you guys are so right we need to be really careful to make sure to ice the most average cap team ever.

Year after year garbage results and there are always new reasons to defend this guy.

Anytime anyone criticizes the GM with legitimate reasons (bad results , suspect vision , plan that changes every year) , they get called management haters.

The reason the trend of hating management is present is simple , the Habs have done a poor job of hiring the right people for several decades now.

Lets keep hoping for the best and being surprised every year when our results are mediocre at best. One thing is clear we aren't in capable hands and haven't been for a while.

At least the Circus is entertaining...:popcorn:

Works two ways and the critics are way more aggressive vs the non critics. My post was a few sentences stating a simple point and your post above is full of ? Enjoy your popcorn.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Works two ways and the critics are way more aggressive vs the non critics. My post was a few sentences stating a simple point and your post above is full of ? Enjoy your popcorn.

As if I'm only talking about your one post , just take a look at your post history...This is denial right here.

I was a big fan of the Drouin move in case you want to call me a blind hater. (As he was finally able to admit he put the team in "win now" mode by trading a legit prospect for a more proven offensive talent).

However how can you possibly call this summer a success?

It's getting old when everyone is saying be patient when we have been more than patient for Bergevin's 6th offseason.

The leash needs to be super short but the posts I'm seeing are giving Bergevin way too much benefit of the doubt (hint: He should have none at this point , every move should be looked at under the microscope).

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm all for being objective. I like the Alzner signing. I loved the Subban-Weber move. But those bargain-bin idiocies have to stop. You haven't been successful even once when trying to pull those off. You're scared of giving terms to proven commodities, but all the bargain bin signings you've made lined up next to another pretty much cover what you'd have paid on a long term contract to a proven guy, except he couldn't possibly have done worst.

And now, you have 9M$ to spend, and you're dime-chasing, offering contracts to ridiculously finished players like Streit?

Like I said, I'm all for being objective and all. But in our current situation, with our cap space, needs, and roster makeup, eat your ****ing pride and sign Markov to a one-year contract. So what if it's more expensive and costs you 6.5M? You're not going to do anything else with the money.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB

won't have long enough to do that, because the GM made us into a team that won't make the playoffs or gets knocked out of the 1st round easily!

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Yes they are. If Markov retires after this season, we lose that cap space for next season. A lot can happen in one season. Habs are 100% correct with offering Markov a one year deal. If Markov wants to be a Habs for life, sign 1 year at a time. If he feels he got a lot left in the tank, sign another contract next year. Why insist on 2 years? Its very bad strategy and he will regret this decision down the road.

I dont get the big deal... just say to markov that we dont want a second year because of age, and he would become $1M/yr basically.
Make a deal. Say we over pay you this year at $7M and we get you for for $1M yr2 and $1M yr3. Which gives an AAV of $3M/yr for 3 years.

*note. Only useful if MB uses the saved cap space towards a $6M 2C this year. I'd like to get RNH from EDM. He will become a commendable replacement for Plecks.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Is this even official? What does an offer on the table mean, why hasn't Streit accepted ? He has other offers ?

I don't like this especially since we haven't solved the greatest problem on this team, but there's still time left. MB better be actively trying to solve the glaring problem down the middle.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Is this even official? What does an offer on the table mean, why hasn't Streit accepted ? He has other offers ?

I don't like this especially since we haven't solved the greatest problem on this team, but there's still time left. MB better be actively trying to solve the glaring problem down the middle.

My guess it was leak to media to make pressure on Markov.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
This is why I said it was pointless to squabble about Price's contract. Any money left on the table would just go to depth trash like Streit. Bergevin is great at budgeting, terrible with what he spends it on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
won't have long enough to do that, because the GM made us into a team that won't make the playoffs or gets knocked out of the 1st round easily!

Massive attempt to devalue the Habs and where we are as a team. We may lost in the 1st round but this is a definite playoff team. Get real

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont get the big deal... just say to markov that we dont want a second year because of age, and he would become $1M/yr basically.
Make a deal. Say we over pay you this year at $7M and we get you for for $1M yr2 and $1M yr3. Which gives an AAV of $3M/yr for 3 years.

*note. Only useful if MB uses the saved cap space towards a $6M 2C this year. I'd like to get RNH from EDM. He will become a commendable replacement for Plecks.

We don't want the 2nd year because if he retires, we lose the cap space. Do you understand this? Markov is not going to screw us over purposely but a lot can happen in 12 months that is beyond Markov's control.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I don't remember the exact rules, but this offer wouldn't pass the CBA test.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Bergevin is always doing moves that are big ??? and then does another move that save his job.

Sign Streit, were doom
Trade for Tavares, savior. (ok maybe not this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad