Mark Stone

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The definition of a late bloomer. Doesn't get Calder love, and rightfully so, because he's basically half a decade older than other rookies.

DoughtyFace

May 9, 2012
Ottawa
Stone is better than Hoffman and I've held that opinion for the bulk of the season.

He's been unreal since the ASG.

Pretty much what I've been saying as well. I'm pretty high on him as a player. It's a game he can sustain for a long time too I feel like. He has a higher ceiling than now for sure IMO, for me one area he could work on is just his speed/strength. Foot speed would up his game considerably.

Aside from the physical improvements really his IQ and overall game is something I'm pretty excited about, it's going to be fun to watch him progress.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
A sixth round draft pick playing the way a first round draft pick should

Guy is going to be an excellent player. When he's not scoring he's doing everything else.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
The standout memory for me was our game a month ago against Anaheim where he cleanly pick pocketed Getzlaf on the PK as he tried to enter the zone (and that same game he won a foot-race against Fowler!). It wouldn't surprise me if those kinds of take-aways diminish as his career progresses because players eventually are going to realize what a threat he is to turn the puck over. Even if that does happen, there's not a forward on the team I would rather have on the ice holding down a one-goal lead: he reads plays so well and is so calm under pressure. It's no coincidence that he assisted on both of Turris's empty-netters the last two games.

Offensively I don't know if I ever see him becoming a game-breaker, because he lacks explosive speed and while his hands are good they're not Kovalev-level. So far he's filled the role of play-maker but I'm hoping he can add more goal-scoring to his game like in the WJCs, where he led Canada with 7 goals. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't go much beyond being a 60 point player, but I also have to admit that he's much, much better than I thought he would be at this stage (if not ever). At the very least he's been the 4th best rookie this season.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
I think that Stone will be a calder finalist when it's all said and done. I think Gaudreau and Stone have been making huge gains on Forsberg over the last 3 months.

Gaudreau wins it, Ekblad finishes second and Stone is a strong third.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
not really a huge surprise though. He was a prolific junior scorer and brian murray raves about the guy. Murray's been hyping stone for years.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Anyone know where he ranks in takeaways per minute on ice? He may just be the best player in the league at stealing pucks.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's a stud, everytime he's on the ice something good happens. He's just that good, it's incredibly fun to watch him and he pickpockets just about anyone out there. He may be the best Sens forward in the years to come and is already arguably the best forward.

This play is the definition of Mark Stone for those who are not familiar with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9zCdnQIR3o

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I think by next season, the consensus will be that he is a top 5 hockey mind in the entire league. He excels despite his lack of physical skill.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
His hockey IQ rivals prime Alfie IMO. And he's a great playmaker and has a heck of a snipe.

Big fan personally. One of the best of the new wave of nhlers

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Stone is better than Hoffman and I've held that opinion for the bulk of the season.

He's been unreal since the ASG.

Really, since MacLean was fired and he was given a chance to play. MacLean was fired on Dec 8, here are Stone's splits:

Oct 9-Dec 7: 25 GP, 5 G, 6 A, 11 P, +3
Dec 11-now: 44 GP, 13 G, 26 A, 39 P, +12

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The definition of a late bloomer. Doesn't get Calder love, and rightfully so, because he's basically half a decade older than other rookies.

Stone's only 22. That's a year older than Gaudreau, two years older than Forsberg, two years younger than Lee, and three years younger than Hoffman. Far from "half a decade older than other rookies".

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
WhoppingBoringAfricanharrierhawk.gif

4177253_orig.gif

And he's a goofball.
2050d304b7cd07b616bab1f57130c80c.gif

Prajna

Jun 10, 2008
Seriously underrated.
Gaudreau and Forsberg do not kill penalties at all. If you remove Stone's penalty killing minutes (as well as his one PK point), he actually has a better points per 60 minutes than both Gaudrea and Forsberg (although its very close).
Still, my point being that he has performed as well offensively as both of these guys, as well as being a good PK guy, and third in the league in takeaways.

Last edited:

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
He is quickly becoming one of my favorite Sens. He has a strong all round game, he can score, set up plays, good in his own zone. It is incredible how often he steals the puck.

I dont think i have seen another player that gets as excited as Stone does when the Sens score, he looks like a fan at home watching the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad