Proposal: Mark Stone to CBJ

major major

Feb 18, 2013
CBJ gets Mark Stone signed long term.

OTT gets Oliver Bjorkstrand, Alexander Texier, and a 1st round pick.

Bjorkstrand has a special scoring touch, last year's 11 goals is low for him. Texier is a boom/bust type drafted out of France, if Ottawa prefers a steadier player like Gavrikov I think that would be an okay substitute. Both are worth a late 1st/ early 2nd approximately. And of course, to satisfy Melnyk, very little salary is going to Ottawa.

Mark Stone doesn't need a summary. The Jackets can afford him this year no problem and next year no problem if one or both of Bobrovsky and Panarin walk.

*** Can Mark Stone sign an extension now, given that he just signed a one-way deal? I seem to remember something about waiting until 6 months have passed. In any case, I think the Jackets would be able to work out the terms before he arrives, perhaps the pick is made conditional just in case.

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJFan827

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
As I mentioned on our boards, I'd be willing to give up more than that to secure Stone. Probably something like Bjorkstrand, Murray or Carlsson, Texier, 2019 1st, and a conditional 2020 pick.

That gives OTT a young, cost controlled RW, an expiring contract in Murray they could flip at the TDL or a big bodied prospect defenseman, a boom/bust forward prospect, and 2 picks. Stone would be an amazing player to add to our team, if he is indeed available.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
*** Can Mark Stone sign an extension now, given that he just signed a one-way deal? I seem to remember something about waiting until 6 months have passed. In any case, I think the Jackets would be able to work out the terms before he arrives, perhaps the pick is made conditional just in case.

I think they have to wait until January 1st or the trade deadline, I'm not sure.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
That’s a whole lot coming from CBJ, but I’m also quite high on Bjorkstrand. If he was subbed out for someone else I’d certainly consider it.

He put up 40+ points playing limited minutes in his first full season with an incredibly low shooting percentage. I think we’ll see him start putting up 50-60 points this season.

Not a bad proposal at all, but I think generally Ottawa fans won’t have any interest in Texier at all even though he might have the highest ceiling of all of our offensive prospects.

I would rather have this package than Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd, so I think there is value there.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
That’s a whole lot coming from CBJ, but I’m also quite high on Bjorkstrand. If he was subbed out for someone else I’d certainly consider it.

He put up 40+ points playing limited minutes in his first full season with an incredibly low shooting percentage. I think we’ll see him start putting up 50-60 points this season.

Not a bad proposal at all, but I think generally Ottawa fans won’t have any interest in Texier at all even though he might have the highest ceiling of all of our offensive prospects.

I would rather have this package than Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd, so I think there is value there.
If Stone is available, I think we need to acquire him. Luszczyszyn waxes poetic about him in the OTT season preview, which marks him as comparable in a lot of ways offensively and defensively to Panarin.

I would see Bjorkstrand as the main "loser" if we were to acquire Stone. I love him too and think he will have a breakout year, but on this one I rather have the player we know can do it at an elite level than one who might be a very good 2nd line RW. There are only so many minutes, and I can't see him getting PP/top six time over Atkinson or Stone, in this case. Nor am I a huge fan of moving players to their off wing.

Reactions: major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I love how no Sens fans have commented yet. I think that means that there is nothing objectionable about the proposal, and that it is simultaneously too depressing to actually think about moving Stone.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
So Columbus wants to roll the dice on another pending FA who might not want to stick around there and gut more assets?

Sounds about right

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Literally the first sentence says “signed long term.”
That same poster is the one that changes every cbj trade thread into who wants to live in a shitty town like Columbus. I wouldnt expect them to be able to read to be fair.

Reactions: Fro

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
CBJ gets Mark Stone signed long term.

OTT gets Oliver Bjorkstrand, Alexander Texier, and a 1st round pick.

Bjorkstrand has a special scoring touch, last year's 11 goals is low for him. Texier is a boom/bust type drafted out of France, if Ottawa prefers a steadier player like Gavrikov I think that would be an okay substitute. Both are worth a late 1st/ early 2nd approximately. And of course, to satisfy Melnyk, very little salary is going to Ottawa.

Mark Stone doesn't need a summary. The Jackets can afford him this year no problem and next year no problem if one or both of Bobrovsky and Panarin walk.

Gavrikov imo is not a guy we move here. Long term I think Z, Jones, Gavrikov, and Nuti can be the beat top 4 in the NHL for the next decade. The way Nuti has progressed so far from his 1st year and with Gavrikovs world class shut down ability he is a guy I dont want to move. Id move Peake before him who to people who dont watch international tournaments probably think os better anyways.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
These hypothetical signed long term trades are ridiculous. Firstly Stone is not agreeing to a sign and trade. When was the last time that happened? Especially in an organization that seems to have soured its relationship with its players.

And what exactly is Stone signed for? His value should depend on how good the contract was. If the contract is too big and too long, it doesn't matter how good he is, it could give him negative value.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Fan that always ****s on Columbus doesnt even read the very first sentance of the post where it says signed long term...

Sounds about right

So we are proposing a trade for a player who cant sign a new deal until next year and there is no clarification on what level of NTC/NMC he will have? and if he would even a

another columbus pipe dream

Stone isnt signing a new deal for OTT for purposes of a sign and trade to go to Columbus when he can just wait to hit the open market for a team he prefers and for more money

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So we are proposing a trade for a player who cant sign a new deal until next year and there is no clarification on what level of NTC/NMC he will have? and if he would even a

Stone isnt signing a new deal for OTT for purposes of a sign and trade to go to Columbus when he can just wait to hit the open market for a team he prefers and for more money
Im sure if the money is right he would 0 hesitation. He has.a.number in mind and of we hit it he will sign it. I personally wouldnt want stone so im not fighting to sign him but to claim he wouldnt sign to come to the most promising young team outside of maybe 1 or 2 teams is crazy.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
These hypothetical signed long term trades are ridiculous. Firstly Stone is not agreeing to a sign and trade. When was the last time that happened? Especially in an organization that seems to have soured its relationship with its players.

And what exactly is Stone signed for? His value should depend on how good the contract was. If the contract is too big and too long, it doesn't matter how good he is, it could give him negative value.

How about last week? It's been reported that the essentials of the Pacioretty contract were worked out with Vegas prior to the trade with Montreal.

I agree that the goodness of the contract bears on the return. I'd love to discuss the deal with a specific contract in mind, say 8m x 6 years, NTC. But people have a hard time with hypotheticals on the boards, as your post evinces.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The only issue with this confusing assuming “signed long-term” is the CBJ takes all the risks. OTT likely wants more being in the same conference.

So basically, there is no chance CBJ will make his deal. They have enough problems with Panarin and Bobrovsky, why would they add another player heading to UFA?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here's the hypothetical deal, as worked out on January 1st : Stone agrees to an $8m 6 year deal with Columbus, with a NTC. Ottawa agrees to send Stone for Bjorkstrand, Texier, and 1st rounder.

Dude it's a hypothetical. You should be able to think in terms of hypotheticals. Everything on the trade boards is a kind of hypothetical.

And no it's not crazy to think Stone would like to go to Columbus. 3rd best U23 core in the league, per the rankings Pronman put out yesterday. 2nd place U25 core according to Dom, last year. Winning probably sounds good to Mark right now. Riley Nash and Anthony Duclair just took less $ to join the Jackets. Bobrovsky is upset because he wants to stay, and the FO is not willing to pay. The Panarin case is the exception, not the rule.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The only issue with this confusing assuming “signed long-term” is the CBJ takes all the risks. OTT likely wants more being in the same conference.

So basically, there is no chance CBJ will make his deal. They have enough problems with Panarin and Bobrovsky, why would they add another player heading to UFA?

It's a hypothetical, where we assume Mark Stone agrees to sign with the Jackets.

Our job in this thread is to evaluate this return for the Senators. It really shouldn't be this hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad