Mark Stone signs for $7.35 for 1 year

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I feel like a Cleveland Cavaliers fan right now. We're either building towards something big with our three best players in tow, or the rug is about to be pulled from under us sending us towards another long period of mediocrity.

If we were building something big, we'd have signed Stone long-term.

Reactions: Cosmix

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I feel like a Cleveland Cavaliers fan right now. We're either building towards something big with our three best players in tow, or the rug is about to be pulled from under us sending us towards another long period of mediocrity.

correct on the long part, wrong on the mediocrity. We'll be begging for mediocrity when only replacement level players looking for a shot in the NHL will sign.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Maybe we'll see this lineup to start next season but I expect lots of changes during next yr. I expect that Smith, Pyatt, Paajarvi, Wideman & maybe Pageau & a goalie to be traded by the deadline. It would be nice to get some decent NHL players back in any trade to bolster the team a little more.

Duchene - Brown - Stone - Duchene takes faceoffs
Boedker - White - Ryan - Ryan takes faceoffs
Smith - Pageau - Dzingel
Paajarvi - McCormick - Pyatt/Paul - Paul should be the 4th line centre by Xmas

Chabot - EK
Wolanin - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Harpur

Anderson - Condon

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Also funny that we’ll end up paying more if we somehow extend him since UFA status always commands more money.

If he has a 70+ point season, and with the cap going up consistently, there's no way he's getting less than $8.5. There's nothing good about this unless we suck so much that he can't overcome it and also struggles and his value somewhat stalls, which I doubt. Even that could hurt the team if he wants out and needs to be dealt at the deadline.

Things are looking bleak.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
For all you doom an gloom types.. have you considered that possibly they could not agree on a number long term as the deadline for the arbitration meeting came close, so they might have said "hey lets do 1 year at this and work on a long term solution as the year progresses"

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For all you doom an gloom types.. have you considered that possibly they could not agree on a number long term as the deadline for the arbitration meeting came close, so they might have said "hey lets do 1 year at this and work on a long term solution as the year progresses"
One of many possibilities

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
correct on the long part, wrong on the mediocrity. We'll be begging for mediocrity when only replacement level players looking for a shot in the NHL will sign.
I won't be begging for mediocrity. Mediocrity is the reason we were never able to get past the first round more than twice since 2007.

I really hate losing Karlsson and Stone, but at least we can build a new core through the draft starting in 2020.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I won't be begging for mediocrity. Mediocrity is the reason we were never able to get past the first round more than twice since 2007.

I really hate losing Karlsson and Stone, but at least we can build a new core through the draft starting in 2020.
Finishing dead last doesn't guarantee as much as it used to

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

They've been negotiating an extension on and off since last summer. This is on record. They started negotiating last summer, couldn't come to terms, and both agreed to play out the season.

The idea that it's "doom and gloom" to perceive this 1 year settlement as concerning is a ridiculous idea. They've had significant time to negotiate and sign Stone.

Frodo

Nov 8, 2008
I'm happy for Mark Stone. I don't think any good hockey player should have to play for Melnyk if they have a choice. Stone doesn't have a choice this season but now he'll be able to go where he wants for the money he deserves in 2019.

Melnyk owns the team so he can do what he wants with it. It's just too bad he's so despicable.

As long as Melnyk owns the team we'll never sign another UFA of substance. The only players we'll have are those already under contract who get traded to us or the prospects/RFAs.

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I see 3 possibilities :

1) A sale is coming and the big long term contracts will be decided under new ownership

2) They are going FULL REBUILD and under the cap floor (MacArthur and Gaborik contracts are gold in that situation) but WITHOUT their own 1st round pick next year : let's suicide all the work that has been done

3) Melnyk is trolling and is seeking vengeance.

As for #1: See, that's what I don't get. Potential new owners could demand that long-term contracts are already in place for our core guys as part of the bargaining process. They don't have to wait until they are officially in control. (That's assuming players are willing to sign long term contracts.)

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Well, I am glad that Dorion didn't go into a meeting with an arbitrator and tell them how "bad" Stone is to try to lessen how much money he should be earning. So... silver lining, or GM didn't bad mouth one of our best players for the sake of money? Uhg... I feel like I'm gonna need to find a comfy seat to watch the next rebuild from...

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
As for #1: See, that's what I don't get. Potential new owners could demand that long-term contracts are already in place for our core guys as part of the bargaining process. They don't have to wait until they are officially in control. (That's assuming players are willing to sign long term contracts.)

No, new owners (or partner) can't "demand" long term contracts be in place. These new long term contracts stipulate that a huge portion be paid up front, that's obviously a problem for Melnyk. For example, Traverse's contract pays him $15 million up front in the first two years, Stone's, Karlsson's and Duchene's will be similar. This is the new NHL salary structure for star players, it's why I very much believe Melnyk needs a partner now with the Lebreton stuff on the horizon. You can't demand that Melnyk pay (example for Karlsson, Stone and Duchene) $40 million up front in cash before you decide to buy in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad