McKenzie: Mark Stone Mega-Thread Pt. 2 - Jets pursuing Stone, Ottawa working on contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
I dont think the other poster is the problem here. I think it's your inability to understand that there is only Mark Stone or Matt Duchene and not "everyone can sign" them in the summer. I don't think you can dismiss the advantage a team can gain when acquiring a pending UFA. That's not to say it's a guarantee but the 'we will just sign him in free agency' is an awful argument because the potential suitors goes from 1 to 31 over night.
He’s still a rental and nobody has a choice in the matter besides him. It’s still going to be against 30 teams unless he really wants to play in Winnipeg. We’re not going to overpay for nothing.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Can someone else respond to the guy who wants a rental to get a re-signed players trade value?

You claim other poster is problem, you though are the incompetent one here. You are way out to lunch on your assessment. Like hey for sure you will be the 1 in 30 odds on favorite to sign Duchene for "free". The odds favor Heavily to players that are traded as rentals sign with team acquiring him. You pay for that privilege. It is likely that rentals get a higher tag then normal because the arms race is heavy this year. Soon as one hammer drops others will line up. Too many teams fighting for the prize this year.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He’s still a rental and nobody has a choice in the matter besides him. It’s still going to be against 30 teams unless he really wants to play in Winnipeg. We’re not going to overpay for nothing.

That's totally fair but I don't think you can dismiss the advantage that the acquiring team would have. Again the 'we will sign him in the summer' argument is awful. Look there's a reason teams trade for the rights of players after the season has ended but before FA.

Reactions: BarberPole9

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
You claim other poster is problem, you though are the incompetent one here. You are way out to lunch on your assessment. Like hey for sure you will be the 1 in 30 odds on favorite to sign Duchene for "free". The odds favor Heavily to players that are traded as rentals sign with team acquiring him. You pay for that privilege. It is likely that rentals get a higher tag then normal because the arms race is heavy this year. Soon as one hammer drops others will line up. Too many teams fighting for the prize this year.
It’s still a rental! What makes Ottawa rentals different from every other teams?

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
I've only been skimming this so maybe I missed something but I can't for the life of me understand what all this pissing and moaning about a "signed" vs rental is.

I can't think of a single pending UFA who has been involved in a sign and trade, and a lot of TDL deals have been including a conditional pick based on the player resigning so if there's anything it would 95% be a pending 1st/2nd next year.

So either it's a conditional pick or nothing. Nothing more to see.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Whatever Ottawa gets for their 3 impending free agents will be trash. Management has allowed themselves to get bent over a barrel and everyone knows it. Why negotiate with Ottawa at all until deadline day even?

Maybe we'll end up with 3 late first round picks and a couple of B prospects by the end of it, none of whom will turn into 30 goal, 70 point players. I hate hockey.

Reactions: topshelf15

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Wonder if Dallas or Vegas could sweep in at the last minute. Unless I missed something he hasn't signed yet right?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Wonder if Dallas or Vegas could sweep in at the last minute. Unless I missed something he hasn't signed yet right?

Dallas is after Panarin from the sound of it. I don't think it was reported that the Stars were actively pursuing Stone.

Vegas is always possible. GMGM loves to make trades.

Reactions: Multigrain

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Ottawa is awful with Stone. (not Stone's fault). I just wonder if Ottawa is better trading him, getting young assets and then with that money they have set aside for Stone....either sign Stone when he's a UFA or sign other UFAs.
This just resigning Stone seems like such a lateral move.
I have brought this up before. Moving Stone will help make sure Ottawa bottoms out the next 3 years. They should pick up some really high level talent and hopefully be able to turn things around by year 4, similar to what Toronto did.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You guys got nothing for EK with a lot of time left and you think your way worse rentals will get you teams top six players? Ya I’m lost.
That is a totally uneducated comment - and I don't really blame you, when the trade went down I was furious.

Tierney- 40 points in 58 games and plays a good 2 way game

Demelo - really solid, youngish dman under cost control sporting a stunning plus 16 on Ottawa (think about that)

Balcers- juries out, a good ahl scorer that looks like he has some upside, but who knows

Norris - looks like a nice prospect with good numbers in university and good friends with tkachuk

And then there are a plethora of picks, sole conditional, some not, but at least 1 1st and 1 2nd coming

Is it amazing? No. Is it nothing? Lol, no.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
That is a totally uneducated comment - and I don't really blame you, when the trade went down I was furious.

Tierney- 40 points in 58 games and plays a good 2 way game

Demelo - really solid, youngish dman under cost control sporting a stunning plus 16 on Ottawa (think about that)

Balcers- juries out, a good ahl scorer that looks like he has some upside, but who knows

Norris - looks like a nice prospect with good numbers in university and good friends with tkachuk

And then there are a plethora of picks, sole conditional, some not, but at least 1 1st and 1 2nd coming

Is it amazing? No. Is it nothing? Lol, no.
Yes I saying nothing was harsh, but for rentals your gonna have to wait for a while to see if those”magic beans” pay off. I just think some of your posters are setting themselves up for disappointment.

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Whatever Ottawa gets for their 3 impending free agents will be trash. Management has allowed themselves to get bent over a barrel and everyone knows it. Why negotiate with Ottawa at all until deadline day even?

Maybe we'll end up with 3 late first round picks and a couple of B prospects by the end of it, none of whom will turn into 30 goal, 70 point players. I hate hockey.
Why are you here?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Exactly! If he really wants to play in Winnipeg he will sign next year if not, too bad. Why give are best prospects for nothing?

A chance at the Cup is not nothing. You guys get so caught up in winning the internet trade wars, prospects, picks and asset management you forget that the real goal here is to win. When your team is close you go for it, otherwise, sure, be content that you got to win the asset war on the internet. Makes no sense.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
A chance at the Cup is not nothing. You guys get so caught up in winning the internet trade wars, prospects, picks and asset management you forget that the real goal here is to win. When your team is close you go for it, otherwise, sure, be content that you got to win the asset war on the internet. Makes no sense.
We already have a chance at winning it, you don’t . Hence we are buyers and you are sellers. Supply and demand and there is a lot of sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad