Friedman: Mark Stone $9M player ask in Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Stone is one year away from UFA status, hence it can only be a one year arbitration ruling.

The side that didn’t initiate the arbitration can normally pick whether the award is for one or two years, but not when the player is only a single year away from becoming a UFA. In that situation the arbitration decision can only be for one year.

Thank you for the clarification.

With that being the case, Stone has all the leverage here to get more money on a long term deal. Gotta think that the Sens keep pushing for a long term contract to lock him up, even after going to the hearing. They need to get some positive blocks on their side and should really try to avoid the hearing altogether. Give him 6 x 7.5M and move on.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well I took too long to post that. Still can't believe it is just a 1 year deal. Really makes no sense.
It's arbitration and he's a year from UFA. If they can't agree to a long term deal, then it's either do this 1 year deal or go with the arbitration award.

They can sign another contract beginning on Jan 1, 2019.

They now have Duchene, Karlsson, and Stone all set to become UFA in 2019.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Going for a run makes no sense if you ask me. Same as taking that pick into account. It's gone, they should do what's best for the franchise going forward. If they have strong inclinations that neither of those three is interested in signing a long-term contract you need to think about long-term consequences. Sure they could catch lightning in a bottle and make a run, but at what cost? Is flirting with a playoff spot, or bowing out early in the playoffs worth risking either losing all three for nothing or selling them at the deadline for pennies on the dollar? And what if they repeat the horrible season? What if any of the three gets injured for long-term (happened to Stone this last season and Matt missed plenty of games in the past) around the deadline? Deciding to keep them going into the season is playing with fire if they don't have a contract. Again what they gave up in trades is water under the bridge and it should not influence how they operate going forward i.e. refusing to sell Matt for anything short of overpayment or sticking by him going into next season without a contract in place.

I know Sens fans will point to Matt saying he believes in the plan Dorion told him at the exit interview and that he likes it there, but after that happened an entire ****storm rained down on them and how much did Dorion really knew about the future state of the Sens given the uncertainty around not one but five (EK, Stone, Hoffman, Ceci, Anderson) key players not named Chabot or Duchene? Furthermore, this is a guy who said he wants to win and not waste his career rebuilding when he left Colorado. Sure he is close to home in Haliburton now, but how much does that really weigh in when he is a pro athlete who is on the road most of the time? Not to mention that he absolutely loved Colorado as a place to live in and still choose to chase wins over comfort in terms of a place to live in. I'm not saying this to pile on, this is just my realistic take on the situation.

PS

People will also point to the Avs in an attempt to say the Sens can make a dramatic turnaround. Can they? Sure. Is it realistic? No. The Avs overturned the vast majority of the roster. They had the 1st line explode and light the league on fire after the 10 game mark, they virtually added two top 4 D in Z and Girard, through trade and progression, added another D who has been instrumental in one of the best PK units in the NHL, got rid of cancers, dead weight and malcontents in the locker room in form of Iginla, Beauchemin, Colborne, Gelinas, Wiercioch, Grigorenko, Mitchell, Tyutin and replaced them with hungry young players like Girard, Andrighetto, Compher, Jost, Nemeth, Kerfoot ... And on top all of that had a goalie who performed really well when Varlamov was injured. Will Boucher be willing to play Brown, White, Botherson, Fremonton etc on regular basis? Will they move on from useless vets like Smith and co.

I agree, but as I said, it ofc depends on what offers they get. It has to be something significant otherwize they could just as well go for it. We have no idea what offers they are getting, so hard to say what is right to do when you do not know that. But yeah if they can get something good in return then they should make the deals now.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Stone is better than almost all of those players, but for those which remain above, I've included their % of cap when signed.

These players range from 8.2% - 10.3% of the cap. In a $79.5m world, that range comes to $6.5m - $8.2m. I think it's on the higher end of this range... methinks $7.75m territory.

Close.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he signed for a cap hit that he would have gotten similar to if he had went to arbitration. it sucks for the team that its only a 1 year deal

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
If they lose Stone this year or next I don’t even know what to say. Feel so bad for Ottawa fans. I complain all day everyday about the Canucks and Benning but this isn’t fair to the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad