Friedman: Mark Stone $9M player ask in Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well, only crazy people are excited about this upcoming Senators' season.

The silver lining is that expectations have never been lower in the history of the franchise.

Which is sad quite frankly as fans don't deserve this. If this was some calamity of misfortune or random events it would at least be digestible, but we are witnessing either gross incompetence or complete disinterest in fielding a respectable roster. I do feel for you guys and I hope things work out in the end and Melnyk leaves you alone and rides off into the night.

Reactions: bert and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Which is sad quite frankly as fans don't deserve this. If this was some calamity of misfortune or random events it would at least be digestible, but we are witnessing either gross incompetence or complete disinterest in fielding a respectable roster. I do feel for you guys and I hope things work out in the end and Melnyk leaves you alone and rides off into the night.

Appreciate it.

Tough position for Avs fans to take with their vested interest. ;)

Reactions: Ivan13

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Appreciate it.

Tough position for Avs fans to take with their vested interest. ;)

Yeah definitely, you have to be excited for the prospect of adding talent to the roster, but it is hard cheering on other people's misery. Resented Caps fans for doing that with the Varlamov trade so I would be a ginormous hypocrite to do the same to you guys.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Could be wrong but the team has 48 hours or so once arbitration number is decided to sign him to that number or let him walk

Im not 100% sure on the 48 hour thing, but think it is

Team has 48 hours from the ask to make a deal. So we will know by tomorrow morning if there's a new deal with no hearing. If not then there's a 48 hour window for the decision to be rendered, for which the team then has 48 hours to either accept or decline the deal. So the longest this could stretch out would be tuesday afternoon

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't think there's much question Stone is worth $7.5m or more on a long term deal. The question is what is he worth on a 1 year contract in arbitration?

Who would you list as comparables? Other RW's (some play multiple positions) signed to big RFA deals:

David Pastrnak $6.66m AAV
Tom Wilson $5.16m AAV
JT Miller $5.25m AAV
Brandon Saad $6m AAV
Nino Niederreiter $5.25m AAV
Jeff Skinner $5.725m AAV
Mikael Granlund $5.75m AAV
Jason Zucker $5.5m AAV
Vladimir Tarasenko $7.5m AAV
Tomas Tatar $5.3m AAV

Adding in LW's:
Nikolaj Ehlers $6m AAV
Filip Forsberg $6m AAV
Johnny Gaudreau $6.75m AAV
Gabriel Landeskog $5.57m AAV
Jaden Schwartz $5.35m AAV
Taylor Hall $6m AAV
Artemi Panarin $6m AAV
Ondrej Palat $5.3m AAV

Who am I missing?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I don't think there's much question Stone is worth $7.5m or more on a long term deal. The question is what is he worth on a 1 year contract in arbitration?

Who would you list as comparables? Other RW's (some play multiple positions) signed to big RFA deals:

David Pastrnak $6.66m AAV - 8.9%
Tom Wilson $5.16m AAV
JT Miller $5.25m AAV
Brandon Saad $6m AAV
Jeff Skinner $5.725m AAV
Jason Zucker $5.5m AAV

Vladimir Tarasenko $7.5m AAV - 10.3%
Tomas Tatar $5.3m AAV

Adding in LW's:
Nikolaj Ehlers $6m AAV
Filip Forsberg $6m AAV - 8.2%
Johnny Gaudreau $6.75m AAV - 9.3%
Gabriel Landeskog $5.57m AAV
Jaden Schwartz $5.35m AAV

Taylor Hall $6m AAV - 10%
Artemi Panarin $6m AAV - 8.2%
Ondrej Palat $5.3m AAV

Who am I missing?

Stone is better than almost all of those players, but for those which remain above, I've included their % of cap when signed.

These players range from 8.2% - 10.3% of the cap. In a $79.5m world, that range comes to $6.5m - $8.2m. I think it's on the higher end of this range... methinks $7.75m territory.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Stone is better than almost all of those players, but for those which remain above, I've included their % of cap when signed.

These players range from 8.2% - 10.3% of the cap. In a $79.5m world, that range comes to $6.5m - $8.2m. I think it's on the higher end of this range... methinks $7.75m territory.

On a long term deal, yeah. I still come back to how much for one year? I'm not sure using % of cap at signing is a fair way to evaluate a 6+ year contract vs a 1 year contract. On the 6 year deal the average cap % is going to be lower then the initial cap %.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sens should go all out trading all their vets, Stone, Karlsson, Duchene, they could get mad picks and prospects and the rebuild would be done in 2-3 years.

Yeah with not a single player to show for it that is as good as any of those three. Stone is 25 years old, all three of them will still be in their primes in 2 to 3 years. Sweet plan! That you Eugene?

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Yeah with not a single player to show for it that is as good as any of those three. Stone is 25 years old, all three of them will still be in their primes in 2 to 3 years. Sweet plan! That you Eugene?
Nope a hard core Canucks fans....just trying to help you squad who imo like the Canucks when Mike Gillis was here should have started that rebuild.

District99

Jul 26, 2010
Vancouver
One guy being overpaid doesn't mean someone else is actually that player. Kane isn't a $7M player and neither is Stone.

you seem to be stuck in 2010, the salary cap has gone up a lot, a 7 million dollar player now is like equivalent to 4.5 million then. just get use to players being paid above 6 million as the norm now, you know with the cap being much higher.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Do we know if this is a 1 or 2 yr case? Or is that up to the Sens after the ruling?

Stone is one year away from UFA status, hence it can only be a one year arbitration ruling.

The side that didn’t initiate the arbitration can normally pick whether the award is for one or two years, but not when the player is only a single year away from becoming a UFA. In that situation the arbitration decision can only be for one year.

Reactions: Flukeshot

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The Avs have had a dramatic turnaround before.

We saw it in 2013-2014.

We'll see if it lasts or whether it's another blip.
That iteration lost very good players in consecutive years and had no defense coming up.

This version is the complete opposite.
Very young, no losses of Stastny and ROR caliber players, good young dmen, and a couple more very good ones in the stable.

Far less concern this time.

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
well, he probably knows he won't get near that...my guess is he just wanted to go to arbitration to be awarded a 1 yr. contract and being able to walk from this s... show franchise (ottawa supporter btw) at the trade deadline.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

David Pastrnak $6.66m AAV
Tom Wilson $5.16m AAV
JT Miller $5.25m AAV
Brandon Saad $6m AAV
Jeff Skinner $5.725m AAV
Jason Zucker $5.5m AAV
Vladimir Tarasenko $7.5m AAV
Tomas Tatar $5.3m AAV

Adding in LW's:
Nikolaj Ehlers $6m AAV