Friedman: Mark Stone $9M player ask in Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Umm..no.

JVR and Kane just got 7 million, and Stone s better than both.

Lol i dont know why peiple keep bringing up kane lol
That's just an example of a bad contract, not a fair contract

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It is an opening offer, but these types of negotiations are hysterical. Couldn't two parties both be a tad closer to reality, sometimes it seems like there just going through the motions....

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Mark Stone's agent is versed in the art of the deal, his client is probably happy with 7.25 or something, knows ownership is notoriously frugal and there is a possibility that Stone wants to get away from that circus.

But if you're Colorado and Dorian calls you up and says 'our pick for Stone?' does Sakic take it? Ottawa will be bad but if they move EK they're historically bad.

Colorado could use a Mark Stone (everyone could), but I wouldn't do it.

No fanbase deserves this.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think the window to trade him to Colorado has passed. Once he hits arbitration, he's got a clear path to being a UFA and he mostly has trade value as a rental. Colorado should be smarter than to go for rentals.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Could see him becoming worth 7. Dont think he's worth 7 right now
I'd easily give him 7. You're talking about probably the best two-way winger in the game. He'd be like having Hossa in his prime. If Ottawa would take Nylander and picks/prospects I wouldn't even hesitate.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It's less to do with your opinion not being to his liking and more to do with your opinion lacking any critical thinking.

Couldn’t care less.

I understand it is a Sensitive time in Ottawa now, with a tire fire team and an unpredictable a$$-hat of an owner.

Where do you think Mr. Anderson will end up, as he also seems to want out of Ottawa too?

:)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
7 mil this year and the sens have to trade him before the deadline

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Jesus the mob is already out. I'm not sure why people are asking about Tom Wilson as if I've ever in any way whatsoever defended that contract. It's terrible. Other guys being overpaid doesn't mean someone else isn't overpaid. Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn, Ryan Callahan at the minimum are overpaid in TB.

Doesn't mean no one else is. Just means GMs like to overpay.

I see you ignored and refused to reply to any of the posts on the first page that made an argument for Stone being worth 7m.

In line with your post history of baiting and leaving.

Last edited:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Sens should go all out trading all their vets, Stone, Karlsson, Duchene, they could get mad picks and prospects and the rebuild would be done in 2-3 years.

The problem is that their own 1 round pick belongs to colorado. So depending on what the other teams are offering for the players, they could also go for a playoff run one last time, and after that start a rebuild. It would have been much better if these key players had at least 2 years left on their contract. Then ottawa would have been in a much better position, now they stand between trading for lesser then they are worth and at the same time give a top pick to colorado, or keep them and maybe manage to go to the playoff with some luck, but risk seeing them all go for nothing. The 2019/2020 ottawa could be the worse team in the league. Some seriously breakthroughs is needed for ottawa.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The problem is that their own 1 round pick belongs to colorado. So depending on what the other teams are offering for the players, they could also go for a playoff run one last time, and after that start a rebuild. It would have been much better if these key players had at least 2 years left on their contract. Then ottawa would have been in a much better position, now they stand between trading for lesser then they are worth and at the same time give a top pick to colorado, or keep them and maybe manage to go to the playoff with some luck, but risk seeing them all go for nothing. The 2019/2020 ottawa could be the worse team in the league. Some seriously breakthroughs is needed for ottawa.

Going for a run makes no sense if you ask me. Same as taking that pick into account. It's gone, they should do what's best for the franchise going forward. If they have strong inclinations that neither of those three is interested in signing a long-term contract you need to think about long-term consequences. Sure they could catch lightning in a bottle and make a run, but at what cost? Is flirting with a playoff spot, or bowing out early in the playoffs worth risking either losing all three for nothing or selling them at the deadline for pennies on the dollar? And what if they repeat the horrible season? What if any of the three gets injured for long-term (happened to Stone this last season and Matt missed plenty of games in the past) around the deadline? Deciding to keep them going into the season is playing with fire if they don't have a contract. Again what they gave up in trades is water under the bridge and it should not influence how they operate going forward i.e. refusing to sell Matt for anything short of overpayment or sticking by him going into next season without a contract in place.

I know Sens fans will point to Matt saying he believes in the plan Dorion told him at the exit interview and that he likes it there, but after that happened an entire shitstorm rained down on them and how much did Dorion really knew about the future state of the Sens given the uncertainty around not one but five (EK, Stone, Hoffman, Ceci, Anderson) key players not named Chabot or Duchene? Furthermore, this is a guy who said he wants to win and not waste his career rebuilding when he left Colorado. Sure he is close to home in Haliburton now, but how much does that really weigh in when he is a pro athlete who is on the road most of the time? Not to mention that he absolutely loved Colorado as a place to live in and still choose to chase wins over comfort in terms of a place to live in. I'm not saying this to pile on, this is just my realistic take on the situation.

PS

People will also point to the Avs in an attempt to say the Sens can make a dramatic turnaround. Can they? Sure. Is it realistic? No. The Avs overturned the vast majority of the roster. They had the 1st line explode and light the league on fire after the 10 game mark, they virtually added two top 4 D in Z and Girard, through trade and progression, added another D who has been instrumental in one of the best PK units in the NHL, got rid of cancers, dead weight and malcontents in the locker room in form of Iginla, Beauchemin, Colborne, Gelinas, Wiercioch, Grigorenko, Mitchell, Tyutin and replaced them with hungry young players like Girard, Andrighetto, Compher, Jost, Nemeth, Kerfoot ... And on top all of that had a goalie who performed really well when Varlamov was injured. Will Boucher be willing to play Brown, White, Botherson, Fremonton etc on regular basis? Will they move on from useless vets like Smith and co.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't really get why the ask is being focused on in the title instead of the offer. IMO 9mil is much closer to his actual value than 5mil. It's by far the more reasonable of the two. I don't think he's worth much less than 8 if at all.

Reactions: kp61c

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I see you ignored and refused to reply to any of the posts on the first page that made an argument for Stone being worth 7m.

In line with your post history of baiting and leaving.
Did you just quote the wrong guy or are your reading skills so subpar? You wrote this quoting my post where I write Stone is easily worth 7 mil :dunno:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
This is just Mark Stone asking for a trade, Mark stone knows that he is not worth $9 Million, he just wants out.

Come play with your brother Mark, get something done Brad.

Nice thanks for the insider info

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People will also point to the Avs in an attempt to say the Sens can make a dramatic turnaround. Can they? Sure. Is it realistic? No.

The Avs have had a dramatic turnaround before.

We saw it in 2013-2014.

We'll see if it lasts or whether it's another blip.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The Avs have had a dramatic turnaround before.

We saw it in 2013-2014.

We'll see if it lasts or whether it's another blip.

Sure, never said it was. But at least now it looks semi-sustainable and not a product of the goalie playing at an insane level.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sure, never said it was. But at least now it looks semi-sustainable and not a product of the goalie playing at an insane level.

Well, only crazy people are excited about this upcoming Senators' season.

The silver lining is that expectations have never been lower in the history of the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->