Player Discussion Mark Stone: 16th overall for Points Per Game & 14th overall in ES scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
I can’t really blame Stone for not wanting to sign long term while the futures of Karlsson and Duchene are unclear but the arbitration date forced his hand. It’s quite possible that his camp even expressed that to the team. And that might put a tiny little bit more pressure on the Sens to re-sign the other two.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
"Why is everyone overreacting? Let me compare these two things that have nothing to do with eachother as proof that everyone else is wrong.

That is basically your argument.
You can compare situations that are not exactly identical. Their are literally dozens of articles out there the last couples days discussing the Shea Weber situation as it relates to Mark Stone.

shea weber mark stone - Google Search

I didn't say they were both completely identical situations.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ownership new or old.... Will have some work to do instantly to regain, some pissed of fans.....I want we have resigned EK and Duchene,to be their second f***en sentence......The team and fans dont deserve to have to wait one more f***en second to hear something positive....

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You can compare situations that are not exactly identical. Their are literally dozens of articles out there the last couples days discussing the Shea Weber situation as it relates to Mark Stone.

Yes, in that Stones arbitration ask was the biggest since Weber's ask. Nothing else, so nothing to do with what was brought up.

Reactions: stempniaksen

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
It's kind of annoying that you and the Habs are so bad as we got good. Really want those rivalries back. Unrivaled entertainment value as a fan.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is going to be a terrible year of Sens hockey. Frig. Zero things to look forward to from an off-season perspective, no light at the end of the tunnel in our high pick, trade talk will constantly loom over our 3 best players, and we have done nothing to improve the 2nd last place team, in fact we have become worse.

Going to be a long one.
Have you always been this negative? Didn’t notice it before but wow. Not helpful man.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
He’s not wrong.
Saying things like “this is going to be a terrible year of sens hockey” is not helpful. No one knows this. So what is the point of this pessimism?
It could turn out to be a very good year!
How about we wait and see?

I could say that YOU are going to have a terrible year. It may or may not be true. It’s the future. But if I kept telling you this over and over it’s not going to help you have a good one.
Extreme pessimism - gtfo

Reactions: aragorn

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Saying things like “this is going to be a terrible year for sens fans” is not helpful. No one knows this. So what is the point of this pessimism?

Sure, but you can’t fault people for being negative. Look at how badly things have gone in the last year. There’s not much to be happy about, and it’s likely going to get worse by moving Karlsson and maybe Stone and Duchene too.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Sure, but you can’t fault people for being negative. Look at how badly things have gone in the last year. There’s not much to be happy about, and it’s likely going to get worse by moving Karlsson and maybe Stone and Duchene too.
It was a bad year. And it COULD get worse. But it’s really unlikely. Just as easy to be optimistic about ek signing and stone re-signing and be excited about brown, white, Formenton, tkachuk, Batherson, docker, tychonik, chabot etc.
Team could be sold and management reworked. Things MIGHT work out.
Let’s wait and see

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Ok, so:

1) if you had read any of those articles, you would know that the context they are comparing Stone to Weber in is their huge arbitration asking prices. None of them even begin to discuss anything resembling "one year contracts into long term contract re-sinings".

2) you absolutely can compare situations that aren't exactly identical. The problem is that the situations between Weber and Stone are not at all identical in any way, outside of the facts that they are hockey players, and both asked for a lot of money in arbitration, and have played under one year contracts at one point at very different points in their careers. That's it.

3) would the fact that you can't find a single scenario, not even one, of a player signing a 1-year deal as a RFA, in his last year of RFA eligibility, that would take him to UFA status, and then have him sign a long-term deal with that team the following year... does the fact that you can't even pick one player EVER who has done that, not offer some concern on your part?

Like, you are accusing people of overreacting about Stone potentially walking as a UFA after only signing a one year deal that takes him to UFA, and yet you can't even identify one -ONE! - time when a player was in the same position as Stone is and didn't either leave as a UFA, or get traded mid-season or at the deadline because the team knew enough to get something for him in return rather than lose him for nothing? The closest comparable you can think of is Weber, who isn't even close to being a comparable at all, and that's supposed to soothe the fears of people who are afraid Stone might be gone sooner than later? And that sounds right to you?

I mean... dude. You're sitting here chastising people for overreacting, but their reactions pretty much fall in like 100% with the precedent that has been set in situations like this.

Weber signed with the Flyers, not the Predators. If Stone decides to sign with the Flyers next July, we won't have right of first refusal like Nashville did with Weber. In that scenario, Stone will be gone. Forever. Not coming back. See ya, Mark.

I can't understand how you cannot see the ridiculous difference between an RFA contract and a UFA contract... and then you insist that you do know he difference, but still trot out the Weber vs Stone example like it matters in the slightest?

You either understand the huge difference between Weber's RFA status and Stone's UFA status and therefore see how ridiculous he comparison between the two is, or you DON'T understand the difference, and insist that they are in any way comparable. It's one or the other. Pick one.

Last edited:
Reactions: inthewings

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Saying things like “this is going to be a terrible year of sens hockey” is not helpful. No one knows this. So what is the point of this pessimism?

I could say that YOU are going to have a terrible year. It may or may not be true. It’s the future. But if I kept telling you this over and over it’s not going to help you have a good one.
Extreme pessimism - gtfo

More like extreme realism.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It was a bad year. And it COULD get worse. But it’s really unlikely. Just as easy to be optimistic about ek signing and stone re-signing and be excited about brown, white, Formenton, tkachuk, Batherson, docker, tychonik, chabot etc.
Let’s wait and see

Why is it really unlikely we’re going to have a bad year? Have you looked at the roster? By your logic we shouldn’t even talk on here at all since we don’t know what the future holds. It’s a message board, people are here to discuss things.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Let’s wait and see
The ONLY way it doesn't get massively worse is if the team is sold.

Thankfully that appears to be the most likely scenario.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Ok, so:

1) if you had read any of those articles, you would know that the context they are comparing Stone to Weber in is their huge arbitration asking prices. None of them even begin to discuss anything resembling "one year contracts into long term contract re-sinings".

2) you absolutely can compare situations that aren't exactly identical. The problem is that the situations between Weber and Stone are not at all identical in any way, outside of the facts that they are hockey players, and both asked for a lot of money in arbitration. That's it.

3) would the fact that you can't find a single scenario, not even one, of a player signing a 1-year deal as a RFA, in his last year of RFA eligibility, that would take him to UFA status, and then have him sign a long-term deal with that team the following year... does the fact that you can't even pick one player EVER who has done that, not offer some concern on your part?

Like, you are accusing people of overreacting about Stone potentially walking as a UFA after only signing a one year deal that takes him to UFA, and yet you can't even identify one -ONE! - time when a player was in the same position as Stone is and didn't either leave as a UFA, or traded mid-season or att he deadline because the team knew enough to get something for him in return rather than lose him for nothing?

I mean... dude. You're sitting here chastising people for overreacting, but their reactions pretty much fall in like 100% with the precedent that has been set in situations like this.

Weber signed with the Flyers, not the Predators. If Stone decides to sign with the Flyers next July, we won't have right of first refusal. He will be gone. Forever. Not coming back. See ya, Mark.

I can't understand how you cannot see the ridiculous difference between an RFA contract and a UFA contract... and then you insist that you do know he differnece, but still trot out the Weber vs Stone example?

You either understand the huge difference between Weber's RFA status and Stone's UFA status and therefore see how ridiculous he comparison between the two is, or you DON'T understand the difference, and insist that they are in any way comparable. It's one or the other. Pick one.
Nope. You're overreacting. All i said was that Weber signed a one year deal and still ended up staying with his original team and that I also believe Stone will do the same. No matter what Philly did, he still was re-signed by the original team and that was the point.

Also, you admit in point #3 that their is no other exact comparable for the Stone situation but you chose to rattle the person bringing up anything remotely comparable. So to me it's a can't win situation based on people overeacting.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With Ceci & Stone signed for next season, it gives the club a yr to see what this ownership does & whether he sells the team over the next yr or not. If he does not, then it's most likely he never will given the yr he just went through. However, then he has to decide what to do with the best players on his team. I assume that if he has not sold the team by next yr's deadline then Ottawa will either have to sign EK, Stone & Duchene or trade at least one of them to afford the other two with this internal budget.

I think if we keep an eye on the development of the prospects, hopefully they will give us something to cheer about. Inserting more & more prospects into the lineup should also keep his costs down which should allow the team to re-sign a couple of their best players at the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad