Player Discussion Mark Stone: 16th overall for Points Per Game & 14th overall in ES scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Compare Stone to someone else's case then. It turns out Weber's situation is the closest similarity to Stone's, UFA or RFA and that's why it was brought it up.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I know it's not a popular opinion, but I do think Dorion is smarter than this and something else is holding him back from being able to make any kind of financial commitments at the moment.

I do agree with the sentiment.

The question is, whether it's actually an ownership equity shift, or if it is just the internal budget has been ratcheted all the way down to the cap floor.

Reactions: pzeeman

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Compare Stone to someone else's case then. It turns out Weber's situation is the closest similarity to Stone's, UFA or RFA.
You really should read up on what it means to be an RFA vs UFA.

That fact alone makes them in no way comparable whatsoever. Weber signed his next contract after his contract expired. In this scenario that would make Stone a UFA, meaning he can sign with any team.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Not the case.

EM can't afford the massive cash-up-front bonus pay outs of new star contracts. We know this based on the debt refinancing, and the known financial issues. There is no way that he would or could commit to paying those deals (guaranteed contracts) without a new ownership deal signed and sealed.

Conversely, new ownership couldn't and wouldn't guarantee payment of any funds until the ink was dry on a deal, how could they, they don't own anything. What we're seeing is very likely what the team (PD) CAN do while the negotiations are on going. He can:

- Hold on to EK, maybe appeasing EM by saying that he's listening to offers...
- Hold on to Duchene
- Make small moves to make Bellville better
- Sign Stone to solid contract raise, for 1 year without massive bonuses, and avoid an oft negative arbitration process so as not to soil their relationship
- Stay away from all media and let the process unfold as quickly as possible.

In a traditional way this off season doesn't make any sense, it looks Ludacris, but in the scope of an ownership change negotiation it makes perfect sense, even down to the new front office hire, people that are already in place to manage the arrival of an ownership change announcement.

Not lame duck, on the verge of popping off brother!

This is exactly the way I see it, it's the only conclusion that explains ALL of the moves this offseason. Those moves also explain the radio silence from the team, there's no way they can get in front of the media and answer questions, they're not able to.

I expect we'll just have to be a bit more patient. My entirely without confirmation guess will be that we will know more about the ownership situation within the next two months.

It's been a tough summer but my advice is to stay off the main boards, no understanding or sympathy there, lol. But I will say that we will have plenty of ammo for payback as the season unfolds.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I do agree with the sentiment.

The question is, whether it's actually an ownership equity shift, or if it is just the internal budget has been ratcheted all the way down to the cap floor.
I would not be at all surprised by this, and if so I would think Stone, Duchene & Karlsson would not be willing to sign even if we did pony up for their contracts. If this is the plan though, I think they would have been more proactive with moving them out this summer, so personally I think something else is happening with ownership and they hope to be able to sign them after the behind the scenes stuff is sorted out.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Agreed, there is potential for us to go into the season with our three best players wanting to be here, and knowing that new long term deals will be on the table as soon an possible.

Imagine a quite possible reality of all three locked in, along with our exciting young kids coming in, and a new play style approach. This could be a fun season where we stop whining about next years first early on.

I know it seems crazy, but we could be fighting for a playoff spot if the team stays the way it is right now.

Lol, alright I'll tone it down....

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
So is Melnyk seriously not prepared to sign ANY good players long term? He knows there is a cap floor, right?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If it looks unlikely that Stone, EK or Duchene will extend, then tear it down. You can get 6-10 quality assets for those three at the deadline. Then you suck in 2019-2020, pray for Lafreniere and have one of the best young teams in the league by 2022-23.

Just rip the bandaid off and trade them all now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So is Melnyk seriously not prepared to sign ANY good players long term? He knows there is a cap floor, right?
Based on our last 6 months and our current contract status of almost nobody under contract past next year (other than 3 players we wish weren't signed lol), it's probably more that he can't afford to make the long term financial commitments at the moment.

Are there any requirements around being able to gaurantee the contracts you hand out? Or, can you just offer whatever and deal with it later?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is going to be a terrible year of Sens hockey. Frig. Zero things to look forward to from an off-season perspective, no light at the end of the tunnel in our high pick, trade talk will constantly loom over our 3 best players, and we have done nothing to improve the 2nd last place team, in fact we have become worse.

Going to be a long one.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Stone is a great player, we want to sign him, so I'm surprised he did only 1 year. He bets on himself, and he'll havve all the options next year.

ThreePosts

Jun 21, 2018
I love the optimism for a sale of the team and truly hope those hoping for a sale get their wish, but looking at teams that have sold in the last decade or so, it seems to me that a sales process was known to be underway...Preds, Wild, Coyotes, Oilers, Hurricanes...none were a "surprise" announcement IIRC?

We know an offer was made (and rejected) but that may well have been unsolicited, not a result of a process. And I've seen reports of HNW individuals interested in acquiring a franchise, but only rumoured connection to the Sens..anyone have any verified source or reports of an actual sales process?

While an imminent sale might explain the weirdness of the roster decisions this summer, it doesn't make sense in the face of the C-suite additions, they wouldn't normally be made if a sale were imminent.

I hope to be wrong, but it looks more likely to me that ownership is holding on and lacks the cash to make long term, bonus-laden contract commitments...and we face losing Hoffman, EK, Stone and Duchy within a ~ 12 month period. Hard times to be a fan right now.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
This is going to be a terrible year of Sens hockey. Frig. Zero things to look forward to from an off-season perspective, no light at the end of the tunnel in our high pick, trade talk will constantly loom over our 3 best players, and we have done nothing to improve the 2nd last place team, in fact we have become worse.

Going to be a long one.
I'll watch the first month to see if we pull off a miracle and actually play well, but if suck(and we probably will) I'm ignoring the rest of the season for the most part.

Crappy team and no 1st rounder? No thank you.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Going to be a long one.
Hopefully Belleville is decent. I could see myself doing some road trips there and with the Habs being garbage too, I'll probably look to scoop up some cheap Habs tickets on short notice and go visit friends in Montreal to take in a game.

Maybe I'll buy a ticket package for the 67s.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah take another guess hero, dont need your definition of what a true fan is. I am not going to support a team that wont commit to its fanbase after 25 plus years of being a fan and literally spending over 100 grand on this organization in my lifetime. Pretty tired of your petty comments, if you dont like me or agree with me then just hit the ignore button. If you're not going to do that then keep the cheap shots to yourself.

You can always block me you know. I’m not sure why you’re so mad at me considering I didn’t ever insult you, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad