Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
With Scheif's work ethic and compete level, he is one player who I have no problem signing long term for a very fair price.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Barkov's year 6 is $7.75M.

I don't think that's enough AAV to get Scheifele's signature on an 8 year contract. It will take $50M $6.25AAV to do that IMO.

You could be right but that would be more than what I think it should be.

Year 1: 4 --- RFA
Year 2: 4.5 --- RFA
Year 3: 5 --- RFA
Year 4: 5.5 --- RFA
Year 5: 6 --- UFA
Year 6: 6.5 --- UFA
Year 7: 7 --- UFA
Year 8: 7.5 --- UFA

That is an AAV of 5.75. It looks like pretty good money to me for both the group of RFA years and the UFA years. We pay above market for the RFA years in order to get the UFA years a little cheaper and to keep the AAV down. That's what a long term deal is supposed to do. Give and take. I forget which is the potential lockout year but pay him half as a signing bonus that year in order to give him lockout protection.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You could be right but that would be more than what I think it should be.

Year 1: 4 --- RFA
Year 2: 4.5 --- RFA
Year 3: 5 --- RFA
Year 4: 5.5 --- RFA
Year 5: 6 --- UFA
Year 6: 6.5 --- UFA
Year 7: 7 --- UFA
Year 8: 7.5 --- UFA

That is an AAV of 5.75. It looks like pretty good money to me for both the group of RFA years and the UFA years. We pay above market for the RFA years in order to get the UFA years a little cheaper and to keep the AAV down. That's what a long term deal is supposed to do. Give and take. I forget which is the potential lockout year but pay him half as a signing bonus that year in order to give him lockout protection.

Why would Scheifele's representatives reccomend that he sign that deal? They would push for 6 years $5.75M (using Barkov comp) and get something pretty close to that. The cap will rise, they would do substantially better for Year 7 & 8 later on. You have to give the player a reason to do it. I don't see it with what you proposed. That's why I said I thought it would take $50M to get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad