Injury Report: Mark Scheifele injury current information - Out estimated 6-8 weeks

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Damn Islanders, every year they take out a key player of ours near the end of the season.

By every year I mean the last 2. Dirty team.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Damn Islanders, every year they take out a key player of ours near the end of the season.

By every year I mean the last 2. Dirty team.

The Isles seemed to target our rooks last night from the very start. This is what you get from a Isles lineup of scrubs trying to stay in the lineup. They can be dangerous.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I suspect the following discussion has been repeated a few times today:

Chevy: "Hey there fellow GM. Remember those talks we were having about Jokinen? Something's come up..."

It's a pain but Scheif's not irreplaceable. This wasn't Macoun breaking a certain set of ribs.

m.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Can anyone here post a clip of the hit? I was on a plane and didn't get to see the game.

Edit: NM--just saw it in the other thread. Doesn't look like a 'surgical' (e.g. ACL) injury to me as his skate thankfully wasn't planted. Maybe a minor MCL strain plus bruise (just a guess).

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's really hard to tell from a video, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an MCL injury (R).

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
He walked on his own down the hall to the dressing room..

True, but you can walk after tearing your ACL. The knee becomes unstable, not non-functional.

That said based on the video it didn't look too bad really.

Edit: watched it a bunch more times and his skate isn't anchored, but it isn't necessarily off the ice entirely. Just a guess but 2nd degree MCL sprain. Possibly cartilage damage too, but that'll depend on how firmly planted it was. 3-4 weeks, unless he's got cartilage damage too, then they might shut him down for the season (not that cartilage damage is that serious but the MCL would slow down his rehab).

edit corrected to get to the appropriate ligament on the knee - scelaton correction.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Even an MCL sprain could be several weeks which could be more than enough time to sink us. He's not exactly the type of player yet that can play injured and have any grit to his game at all.

We saw last night how well Olli can handle 20+ mins - against a half AHL/rookie squad. If we didn't remember from last season.

We got back in the playoff race by being able to roll three decent lines, and everyone playing solid team defense. Without Scheif we are back to LLW and Kane-Olli-Buff. Third line is now Gooch-Slater-Frolik. That's a 4th line on a playoff team.

Chevy is essentially abandoning the team's chances if he trades Olli. IMO without Scheifele, those chances are LOOOONNNGGG :(

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Edit: watched it a bunch more times and his skate isn't anchored, but it isn't necessarily off the ice entirely. Just a guess but 2nd degree LCL sprain. Possibly cartilage damage too, but that'll depend on how firmly planted it was. 3-4 weeks, unless he's got cartilage damage too, then they might shut him down for the season (not that cartilage damage is that serious but the LCL would slow down his rehab).

Buggs, it can't be an LCL injury, based on where the impact was on his knee (on the outside, as usual). LCL tears are pretty unusual.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Buggs, it can't be an LCL injury, based on where the impact was on his knee (on the outside, as usual). LCL tears are pretty unusual.

Yes. Sorry, I meant to write MCL. The impact was on the outside of the knee, hence why I was thinking LCL, but it wouldn't have been stretched - the ligament on the other side would have been.

Thanks for catching that. I'll amend my post.

edit: right/write - same word, rite?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Isles seemed to target our rooks last night from the very start. This is what you get from a Isles lineup of scrubs trying to stay in the lineup. They can be dangerous.

They were sure taking runs at Scheifele all night.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
This sucks.

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 2m

Early indications are that Mark Scheifele suffered an MCL injury. Likely out 6-8 weeks. #TSN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad