Confirmed with Link: Mark Freidman contract extension (2x725k 1-way)

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
That poor coach is an Adams Finalist...for the 5th time.

:sarcasm:

He's a really good coach but being a finalist for the Bylsma award kind of doesn't prove much

Edit - oh and before someone who loves to jump into these discussions with pointless retorts/strawmen, clearly lacks reading comprehension and likes to see in posts something that is not really there (not you, Tripod), this post is clearly about lower evidentiary value of awards/nominations in the league and not about how I perceive the coach and his abilities. Needed to add this disclaimer because people are emotional

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's a really good coach but being a finalist for the Bylsma award kind of doesn't prove much

Edit - oh and before someone who loves to jump into these discussions with pointless retorts/strawmen, clearly lacks reading comprehension and likes to see in posts something that is not really there (not you, Tripod), this post is clearly about lower evidentiary value of awards/nominations in the league and not about how I perceive the coach and his abilities. Needed to add this disclaimer because people are emotional

Winning an award is somewhat meaningless, however, consistently being in the top group for an award is probably meaningful.
So winning a Selke is less informative than consistently being in the top 5.
Once could be a fluke, 3 or 4 times is a trend.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Winning an award is somewhat meaningless, however, consistently being in the top group for an award is probably meaningful.

Hence why I said lower value, not "non-existent" value. There is definitely some value to it, but using it as a retort in an exchange regarding whether a coach does or doesn't make mistakes is of quite little use. (Which is what I was responding to originally)

Reactions: Striiker

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't think it's meaningless. Sure, there are always players like Andrew Raycroft, or whoever else was a fluke, but they're the exception, not the rule.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Thought exercise - who is the player this board as a whole has been "against" the most?

I don't think it's anyone from TSTSNBN, since everyone knew we were bad. The first player that springs to mind is Bryz, since Rinaldo, Stewart, etc. still had their fans. I don't remember many people defending Bryz in the end, especially after he ducked a shot that went in for goal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Stewart had his fans, rather, some of us just didn't think it was a big deal to kick the tires for 15 games.

I actually liked Rinaldo, I could live with his hands of stone, but it's the head of stone that dooms him, potentially a HOF caliber forechecker, but he negated his speed and aggression with consistently stupid decisions and the inability to capitalize on the turnovers he created.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thought exercise - who is the player this board as a whole has been "against" the most?

I don't think it's anyone from TSTSNBN, since everyone knew we were bad. The first player that springs to mind is Bryz, since Rinaldo, Stewart, etc. still had their fans. I don't remember many people defending Bryz in the end, especially after he ducked a shot that went in for goal.

Oh no, there were actually people defending Bryz. Including him ducking a shot. There were people insisting he was playing great and nothing was his fault. That's why we had an insane number of Bryzgalov threads. Because there were people dissecting every goal to blame everyone else.

When he let in weak unscreened blueline wristers, it was the fault of the skaters for not preventing the shot.

Two that come to mind: Cote and Zherdev. Even the people who liked Zherdev's talent and potential weren't exactly fans of him. Cote just...ugh. He was bad at everything and even if you felt for him, there was no way to defend playing him.

An honorable mention is Shelley. Aside from a hilarious meme thread title ("Jody Shelley - Great Signing!") once he actually started playing, he didn't have defenders.

I don't think Walker, Kubina, Gill, or Schultz had a single supporter either.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Schultz was fine for what he was, veteran depth (though slightly overpaid).
Much like Hagg, as a #7 who played due to injury, he was fine.
When you actually had to play him on a regular basis, not so much.

Cote, did he play?

I think Shelley was Stewart, he'd skate two shifts a period just to remind the other team he was there.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think I was the lone gill supporter. I remember quite a few advocates for the bryz signing. He had noticably less fans once he got here. I'm pretty sure okt had an account here as he had one guy who posted here for a while and then left when he got traded. He was his only fan.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Schultz was fine for what he was, veteran depth (though slightly overpaid).
Much like Hagg, as a #7 who played due to injury, he was fine.
When you actually had to play him on a regular basis, not so much.

Cote, did he play?

I think Shelley was Stewart, he'd skate two shifts a period just to remind the other team he was there.

Well, that's the thing with Schultz. He played 80 and 81 games in his first two seasons. He played very regularly and he was bad.

Cote played far too often. 70 and 63 games at worst. He even got playoff time. And I use "time" loosely. He played 3-4 minutes a game. Basically, by having him on the roster, the team was playing with 11 forwards. And when he was on the ice, well it would have been better if they were just down a man.

Shelley was not good, but he was better than Stewart.

Edit: I don't think anyone at any point ever mounted a defense of Kubina. He also mercifully didn't play much as I recall, and yet in the games he did play he made it feel like he got in about 900 games that season.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It comes down to your depth.
I defended VdV not because he was good, but because the alternatives were no better.
Anyone hear from Akeson? How's Luby doing in the KHL? Where's Taylor Leier these days?

Fortunately, the days when we had to play below replacement players seem to be gone.
If Lindblom comes back our fourth liners will be above replacement next year, if Patrick comes back as well, we're loaded for bear, and if Brink, Ratcliffe, Rubtsov, etc. step up in another season, we'll be able to bury the memory of scrubs for a long time.

Reactions: BlackandOrange

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I think I was the lone gill supporter. I remember quite a few advocates for the bryz signing. He had noticably less fans once he got here. I'm pretty sure okt had an account here as he had one guy who posted here for a while and then left when he got traded. He was his only fan.

Wolfy.

And Randy Jones had JXC.

Reactions: captainpaxil

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Laughton?
No idea, maybe Leier. I remember having high hopes for Taylor at some point similar to NAK later, but that obviously didn't pan out.

You're right though, not a whole lot of forwards that could have stepped in. Though I still think NAK would have been better in the NHL than VDV that year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The fact that we're talking Ghost v Hagg as #6 and #7, and Friedman as #8, shows how much better our depth is than 2-3 years ago.
In two years, Wylie, Hogberg, Zamula and York should be ready.

Our "Black Aces" forwards would have been our 4th line 3 years ago.

Reactions: kudymen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad