Confirmed with Link: Mark Freidman contract extension (2x725k 1-way)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well there you have it. Offload Hagger for a 3rd round pick and call it a day.
I'd be ecstatic with getting a 7th. Anything better is a bonus. So long as he's not here it's a massive addition by subtraction, plus he weakens any team he goes to.

Unfortunately this staff may want him to stay, which is really scary.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg's future will depend on his salary demands.
On a cheap contract, he's solid depth, or do you want to see Prosser in Philly anytime soon?
For real money, he should be at a new address.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Good move for Friedman, cheap contract in a flat cap means he's got a good chance at sticking around as a 7th defenseman on any team in the league if he doesn't break into the top 6.

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hagg's future will depend on his salary demands.
On a cheap contract, he's solid depth, or do you want to see Prosser in Philly anytime soon?
For real money, he should be at a new address.

He's actually bad depth even at league minimum. He's just flat out bad. Numerous people have shown that, even in terms of depth players and #7s, Hagg is among the worst in the league even by those very low standards. He's a flat out awful player.

Friedman and Hagg at the same price? Always take Friedman. Friedman for cheaper? Even easier.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He's actually bad depth even at league minimum. He's just flat out bad. Numerous people have shown that, even in terms of depth players and #7s, Hagg is among the worst in the league even by those very low standards. He's a flat out awful player.

Friedman and Hagg at the same price? Always take Friedman. Friedman for cheaper? Even easier.
There are numerous worse depth defensemen in the league. Half the Red Wings defense is probably worse than Hagg.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
One way or another, Marky Mark not being on the 3rd pair next season would not be maximizing talent or cap space. It’s an easy decision based on everything we know. Fun fact: he has an extensive history playing both sides.

seep-im-playing-both-sides-so-that-i-always-come-60877887.png

(Didn't even make this. It's what came up when I searched "i'm playing both sides".)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Friedman double the price? Friedman

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg has negative value so any cap hit over $0 is a bad deal.

Anyone with positive value or even the potential for positive value is an upgrade.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There are numerous worse depth defensemen in the league. Half the Red Wings defense is probably worse than Hagg.

I've yet to see analysis showing that.

You could probably drop Hagg into their D and make the product even worse. It's like being down a man when he plays.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Also, if only a handful of players are confirmed worse...that's bad. That's a player in strong contention for worst in the league.

Move on from that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There are 186 starting defenseman spots, throw-in injuries, and probably 200-225.
Hagg is not the worst in the NHL in this group, I mean we've seen worse in Philly (TJ Brennan played 53 NHL games).

Friedman should be better than Hagg, but right now that's not a guarantee.
I've watched him in the AHL and Zamula at 19 was a better defenseman (though too slight to last in the NHL).
That is, he's not a lock, he's not a potential top four type.

There's a large group of #7/AHL plus types, the guys who play a couple NHL seasons but never win a job (Alt).
Hagg is one step above or he'd have already been replaced.
Doesn't mean he's starting NHL caliber, more #6/#7 - that is, the guy you're always looking to replace in the lineup, but who you trust more than the AHL veteran you'd have to call up.

Friedman might be a legitimate #6, or an AHL plus player who can't cut it at the next level (Vorobyev).
Only way we'll find out is for him to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad