Waived: Mark Arcobello on waivers at noon

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i agree completely. i think at the time of his signing we had bozak-kadri-holland-spaling down the middle with mathias, komorov, and boyes able to play center in a pinch. there was really no reason to sign him in the first place. at least when shanny/hunter/dubas mess up it costs $800,000. When burke/nonis **** up it cost $25 million (clarkson, grabovski, komisarik)

So what did Leafs management see in him that suggested he was a fit this year?

We know they are a stats driven organization, so where did they fail in this situation?

buttman*

So what did Leafs management see in him that suggested he was a fit this year?

We know they are a stats driven organization, so where did they fail in this situation?

The same way they failed with PAP, Boyes, and Grabner. The only saving grace is that they are all gone after this year.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Let's see...

PAP: no
Grabner: god no
Marincin: next to go on waivers
Matthias: not quite as bad
Boyes: maybe
Spaling: at least useful maybe
Winnick: :thumbu:
Hunwick: :thumbu::thumbu:

Most likely to stay becoming part of the vet group over the next 2-3 years.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The same way they failed with PAP, Boyes, and Grabner. The only saving grace is that they are all gone after this year.

That doesn't answer the question.

What enticed them to sign him, and it wasn't because he scored a few goals last year, there had to be some analysis done to suggest he was the type of player they wanted and he brought attributes that fit their criteria.

Anyone can chose a player based on scoring X goals.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

What enticed them to sign him, and it wasn't because he scored a few goals last year, there had to be some analysis done to suggest he was the type of player they wanted and he brought attributes that fit their criteria.

Rookie GM Dubas playing money-puck with the Arcobello signing due to strong Corsi figures despite being tossed around the NHL the previous year.

He scored 17 goals last year but 16 of those came on the 2nd worst (Arizona) and 3rd worst (Edmonton) teams in the NHL and he only scored 1 goal with Pittsburgh and Nashville before they tossed him back on waivers again.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Low risk signing with medium reward. We had just traded our top scorer. Leafs added depth scoring with a few mercenaries that had good underlying numbers.

It didn't work out but it was well worth the signing. Even if he plays just average and only scores a few goals or so, it would have been decent.

But he was god awful. Oh well.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

In 2013 he had (in 40 games) pretty much the best CF% of active players with the Oil - around 49%.

With the Coyotes, his CF% was about middle of the pack for forwards.

His GF% hasn't been very good at all - anywhere I could see.

Were they thinking that a good possession number with a bad Edmonton possession team meant something - perhaps?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In 2013 he had (in 40 games) pretty much the best CF% of active players with the Oil - around 49%.

With the Coyotes, his CF% was about middle of the pack for forwards.

His GF% hasn't been very good at all - anywhere I could see.

Were they thinking that a good possession number with a bad Edmonton possession team meant something - perhaps?

For me, seeing Arcobello passed around and through waivers on 4 different team in one year was all the evidence I needed to conclude he wasn't NHL quality.

It was a bizarre signing on opening day of UFA season and more of a PTO invite late August type of player move. IMO

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Am I a bit concerned that with all of our one year boys, there aren't many who are mustering up any trade value? Yup. Quite frankly we had future 1st/2nd round picks in mind when they signed those horses. At this rate the Maple Leafs would be lucky to trade them for mid-round picks.

Let us hope they pick up their game and increase their trade value!

GO LEAFS GO!

Firsts? No. Seconds and thirds? Yes.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He was signed before we made the Kessel trade, we were and still are trying to move Bozak as well. We had Holland, Kadri as our centers with Bozak on the block. We did not have Spalding or Boyes at the time and needed warm bodies to get through this year without having to use a real prospect at center.

It was an insurance signing and in the end we did not need it.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Arcobello was definitely not good here at all, but man the Marlies get more and more stacked everyday. Losing Clune sucks for them since he was producing and sounds like he was playing good hockey, but Arcobello is definitely going to be a standout for the team.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
NO. I have been consistently saying over numerous posts that these so called 1st & 2nd round returns for (most of) our 1 year guys and PTO won't happen. Nice try, but I have been saying the exact OPPOSITE.

I don't think anyone expects that.

No one expected that.

Optimisticly people were hoping for a couple of 2nds plus later picks from the new signings, but almost everyone recognized that not every single new signing would pan out.

No one thought we'd get that much. Most of us were hopeful for a 4th or so.

Well, after a quick search, here's one from Morgs on July 13th in a thread about Taylor Beck after we acquired him:

Fifth future second/third round pick? haha

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
NO. I have been consistently saying over numerous posts that these so called 1st & 2nd round returns for (most of) our 1 year guys and PTO won't happen. Nice try, but I have been saying the exact OPPOSITE.

I don't think anyone expects that.

No one expected that.

Optimisticly people were hoping for a couple of 2nds plus later picks from the new signings, but almost everyone recognized that not every single new signing would pan out.

No one thought we'd get that much. Most of us were hopeful for a 4th or so.

A few more:

How Many Draft Picks Will the Leafs Have in 2016 & 2017
Shanty (& several others) 07-07-2015, 12:53 pm
2nd = Spalding

Mike1, 07-04-2015, 10:57 am
I would imagine that Parenteau would get us a 2nd

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
A few more:

Shanty (& several others) 07-07-2015, 12:53 pm
2nd = Spalding

Mike1, 07-04-2015, 10:57 am
I would imagine that Parenteau would get us a 2nd

So when people tell you no one thought we'd get a 2nd for Arcobello, your response it to show people saying we'd get a second for players who aren't Arcobello?

We're not going to get a 2nd for everyone, but we probably will get a 2nd for someone.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Arcobello was definitely not good here at all, but man the Marlies get more and more stacked everyday. Losing Clune sucks for them since he was producing and sounds like he was playing good hockey, but Arcobello is definitely going to be a standout for the team.

And then we can trade him ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back up before the TDL; same with Frattin and Panik. If we do enough trading early enough, we could see them up here.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So when people tell you no one thought we'd get a 2nd for Arcobello, your response it to show people saying we'd get a second for players who aren't Arcobello?

We're not going to get a 2nd for everyone, but we probably will get a 2nd for someone.

NO. In my post #67, I was referring to our multiple 1-year contract players that we signed, not just Arcobello. I said that I have been constantly stating that we will not get 1st or 2nd rounders for "most of them". Then I got several responses stating that "nobody said this".

Here is my post (#67): "NO. I have been consistently saying over numerous posts that these so called 1st & 2nd round returns for (most of) our 1 year guys and PTO won't happen."

Last edited:

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
In Marlies last game, the goalie was the 1 star and Arcobello the second, the game before Arcobello was star nr 1 , maybe its time to call him up ?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In Marlies last game, the goalie was the 1 star and Arcobello the second, the game before Arcobello was star nr 1 , maybe its time to call him up ?

Not until the players ahead of him get injured or traded.

He had his chance and threw it away. Now he'll have to wait for another chance.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
He is one of those players that are too good for the AHL, but not good enough for the NHL

Like Frattin

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He is one of those players that are too good for the AHL, but not good enough for the NHL

Like Frattin

Last 3yrs AHL:

Frattin: 69gms, 28gls, 53pts (82gms, 33gls, 63pts)
Arcobello: 17gms, 13gls, 31pts (82gms, 63gls, 150pts)

not really the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad