Waived: Mark Arcobello on waivers at noon

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Last 3yrs AHL:

Frattin: 69gms, 28gls, 53pts (82gms, 33gls, 63pts)
Arcobello: 17gms, 13gls, 31pts (82gms, 63gls, 150pts)

not really the same thing.
My question is that if Arco puts up 2 PPG in the A and sucks in the NHL, how does that rate Nylander? I know he is younger but would Willie be .5 PPG or less in the NHL?
If not why?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
My question is that if Arco puts up 2 PPG in the A and sucks in the NHL, how does that rate Nylander? I know he is younger but would Willie be .5 PPG or less in the NHL?
If not why?

Different styles of play. Similar concept to how a kid can easily lead his team in youth hockey, then barely make a difference at the next level of competition. I haven't watched nearly enough of Arcobello but there could be one aspect of his game that is dominant at the AHL level that doesn't work at all in the big leagues. Also like how a player can be a scrub at the NHL level but dominate in the KHL. Also at this point in his career an arguably realistic expectation is that Willie would put up .5 PPG in the NHL, but obviously he's only going to improve.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Different styles of play. Similar concept to how a kid can easily lead his team in youth hockey, then barely make a difference at the next level of competition. I haven't watched nearly enough of Arcobello but there could be one aspect of his game that is dominant at the AHL level that doesn't work at all in the big leagues. Also like how a player can be a scrub at the NHL level but dominate in the KHL. Also at this point in his career an arguably realistic expectation is that Willie would put up .5 PPG in the NHL, but obviously he's only going to improve.
Thanks for that
So basically since Willie is still in the development stage of his life he will blossom or that combined with his style of play?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If not why?

:scared:

Great question.......awaiting the rationalizations :popcorn:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Thanks for that
So basically since Willie is still in the development stage of his life he will blossom or that combined with his style of play?

Yeah I think he'll just continue to blossom. Also Arcobello had that great 15 game stretch when had already played in the NHL, I'm sure if for some reason you put Willie into the AHL after he's an established NHL veteran he'd also be lights out. Even a washed up Mike Richards was productive in the AHL last season. Sometimes players just need that extra quarter second they're given in the minor leagues to be effective.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If not why?

Age.

The points Nylander is putting up is not remarkable. What's remarkable is the age which he's doing it at.

Arcobello didn't even start playing in the AHL until he was 22-23.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Thanks for that

Put it this way.... Nylander was doing more, and better at 18 than Arcobello at 22. Usually, that gap grows even wider.

Much like in the OHL... It's impressive for a 16yo to get a PPG, SUPER impressive for a 17yo to get 2.0PPG......... Not so impressive when a 19yo does it. Many 19yos put up huge numbers in the CHL and amount to nothing, can't say the same for many 17yos who produce like that.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Arco is getting points but he sure hasn't been shy about shooting. Nylander has been good (playing good D, distributing the puck, deferring maybe too much). He hasn't been overly lucky so his PPG is well earned.

Most impressive thing about Nylander this year has been his D and transition to center IMO. This is very good news. Hopefully he won't get hurt there are alot of cheap shot artists in the AHL.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
If not why?

Sometimes it's the brain power. Two players perform equally in one league, next league all players are more skilled, smarter & think the game faster. One of the original two is able to adapt his game because he can think just as quick & maybe with equally smart players surrounding him everything clicks. The other not as smart player is always a step behind in the quick thinking game & never catches up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If not why?

It's not linear like that at all.

That Nylander is at ppg at 19 is very impressive, though if he stayed in the AHL much longer we'd definitely want him to be even better than that before too long if he's got elite nhl potential. Even by the end of this 19yr old season ideally he'd be solidly above PPG.

But that has nothing to do with Arco doing what he's doing at 27. Arco is like many elite AHLers who can't translate to NHL - he lacks both size and speed. But that being said, the kind of production he's putting up in the AHL is so good that it makes you think that if given the chance he could be a good NHL producer - especially since his NHL possession numbers and P/60 numbers have been pretty good so far.

I mean, I'd rather Arco be getting a look rather than older retreads like boyes and parenteau.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Last 3yrs AHL:

17 games isnt really an accurate sample size.

2011-2015

Frattin 83 points in 103 games. 66 points in 82 games.

Arcobello 139 points in 162 games. 70 points in 82 games.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
hey we gave him 7 nhl games, u can show quite a bit of yourself in that short period of time...well lets just say arcobello didnt show many good moments, he was invisible most the time, and really didnt show that he impacts the game much

im happy with letting him earn another shot with the leafs like everyone in the marlies

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Last 3yrs AHL:

17 games isnt really an accurate sample size.

2011-2015

Frattin 83 points in 103 games. 66 points in 82 games.

Arcobello 139 points in 162 games. 70 points in 82 games.
It's Frattin's goal scoring that makes him an elite AHLer. 51 goals in 113 games (37 per 82 pace), though he has slowed down a touch last year and so far this year.

The type of players I enjoy following as a "hobby", but not worth sweating over as tweener NHLers. Injury fill-ins for good teams, or minute eaters if your team is **** (like this year, hurray!)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If not why?

There is no formula.

But what is true is that Nylander is a high profile pick and will therefore get every available opportunity to prove the management can develop top prospects.

It's not a free pass to the NHL but it is a factor that other lesser profile guys won't enjoy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad