Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL
Head Coach
38-26-0-4 (0.588)
Lost in round 1

HockeyDB.com

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He was in Drummondvile since 2009-10, when he replaced Guy Boucher. He was an assistant coach with Tourigny in Rouyn between 2005 and 2009. He was also an assistant coach with Team Canada in the last WJC. He's young (38).

He did a good job with Drummondville. The team managed to stay in the middle of the pack in the last two years since Sean Couturier left for the NHL. They didn't have lots of draft picks left so that's why I think he did a good job keeping that team in the middle of the standings.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He was in Drummondvile since 2009-10, when he replaced Guy Boucher. He was an assistant coach with Tourigny in Rouyn between 2005 and 2009. He was also an assistant coach with Team Canada in the last WJC. He's young (38).

He did a good job with Drummondville. The team managed to stay in the middle of the pack in the last two years since Sean Couturier left for the NHL. They didn't have lots of draft picks left so that's why I think he did a good job keeping that team in the middle of the standings.

Ahh, sounds like a good up and coming coach.

That's one thing that's impressive about consistently successful Junior coaches. They have a really high turnover rate, and can lose all their major talent in one off-season.

Does anyone know what style he coaches? What hes known for? Offense, Defense? Does anyone know what he handled primarily during the WJC?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Loving the fresh blood here. Guys Roy has coached with and against and obviously has respect and good relationships with. They are all young guys with fresh approaches and will obviously have a big drive to succeed and prove themselves at the NHL level.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Any speculation on which assistant will do what yet?

Army may have been given a reprieve....

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 32m
Sources say Mario Duhamel is on the verge of joinning #Avalanche coaching staff as assistant video coach. Not a done yet.

Army = The New Granato (someone who always seems to hang on w/ the Avalanche)

I'm only kidding about that...though it is funny that he was the only one to stay on from the previous staff, I would have thought that given the horrendous season that ALL of the coaching staff (behind the bench) would have been given the door.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ugh, Army's coaching record is terrible....

It could be one of those things, where in his 'role' whatever that was... He stood out, in some sort of impressive way that the upper management noticed.

Or... It could just be that he's better friends with the guys that stayed. Who fN knows lol.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Wow, leaving a head coach gig for an assistant video coach gig?

So many questions... will he be the assistant to the video coach or is he the assistant for video coaching? Why leave a good job for one like that? Is he expecting to be promoted quickly? Will we always be hiring french canadians in the future?

Pretty cool how active Roy is being in changing the culture here though.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Army may have been given a reprieve....

Army = The New Granato (someone who always seems to hang on w/ the Avalanche)

I'm only kidding about that...though it is funny that he was the only one to stay on from the previous staff, I would have thought that given the horrendous season that ALL of the coaching staff (behind the bench) would have been given the door.

Holy crap....I don't know how to quote a quoted quote inside of the quote I'm quoting ...but did that quote you quoted say he was going to be the assistant video coach? So all of a sudden we get a part time goalie guru who will have possibly two assistant coaches that will be full time, we get ice girls....AND our video coach gets an assistant video coach as well?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Patrick Caisse @PatrickCaisse
Mario Duhamel will be named video coordinator of the Colorado #Avalanche in a near future. #QMJHL @adater @MChambersDP

Two of his other tweets translated to English...

A member of the Avalanche confirms that Mario Duhamel will be responsible for video and it will not be behind the bench.

Nothing has been announced yet because still some details to work out before signing the agreement.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Are there going to be any QMJHL coaches left once Roy is done? He's like the locust plague of Egypt.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Duhamel is a solid coach. He kept Drummondville respectable after Couts left. His teams seem pretty average on both ends of the ice, but that could be a lack of pure talent as well.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think video coaching is automatically a low status job. If you're smart and hard working, it's a good stepping stone.

Roy managing to squeeze another video coach and possibly a goaltending coach assistant out of Kroenke is a positive thing.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Avs like to bring in guys to the video role before promoting them to being Assistants it seems (Deadmarsh, Army most recently). I would imagine we're keeping Army around because they feel he did an ok job (maybe a management call, maybe the players probably had positive or at least neutral things to say about him in their end of year feedback) and because he knows the players and what went wrong last year. Some continuity isn't the worst thing in the world.

I'd imagine his contract was probably 2 years just like Sacco's, so I'm willing to bet he'll be let go or moved to a different role next year and Duhamel or someone else that Roy prefers will replace him next summer.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Patrick Caisse @PatrickCaisse
Mario Duhamel will be named video coordinator of the Colorado #Avalanche in a near future. #QMJHL @adater @MChambersDP

Two of his other tweets translated to English...

this speaks to multiple things. these coaches respect the hell out of Roy and Roy really wants guys who have been head coaches and guys who know how to mold rosters and players.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
People in Drummondville say he's a good tactician.

It's funny how every news about the Avalanche gets out from a Quebec based reporter since Roy's hiring. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad