Marincin-Zaitsev should be our bottom pair

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
All that was 2 years ago. He's posted underwhelming adv stats the past 2 years and also looked terrible while at it.

The only reason I want to give him the chance to come back for a spot is because he's been amazing for the Marlies and I think some Leaf fans here don't realize how good.
I'm bringing up his 16-17 stats (at least I think I am lol), his 17-18 stats are pretty irrelevant to me considering he only had like 1 or 2 GP

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Not nonsense when he has a Corsi rel of 2+ and Gf% of 2+, meaning not only are we positive in shot and goal differential when he's on the ice, he's has a positive impact.

Also he's a PK beast, Babcock has said he's probably the best PKer on this team. So work him like a horse for 3 min PK/game, and let him lineup against 3rd/4th lines that he can handle.

He did.. check out the #s above. Even if he's making some big mistakes, like Gardiner you can make a ton of less noticed good plays that outweigh the visible bad play.

Lmao no he doesn't. Polak fan club loves saying he's a net creaser when his shot map when he's on the ice shows we get assaulted with shots close to the net when he's on the ice. Polak's a dud, deal with it.

.. ignoring this randomly assumed acquisition of De Haan, we're left with Rielly/Gardiner/Dermott/Borgman/Rosen/Nielsen/Hainsey in your eyes being ahead of Marincin. I gotta say, I had a good laugh at Nielsen being mentioned, that's all I'll say on him. I believe 2 of Gardiner/Rielly/Dermott/Hainsey should be put on RD with them all in the top 4, leaving Marincin/Rosen/Borgman as choices for the 3rd pair LD. It's a fact that Marincin had a way better AHL season than Borgman, so although I like Borgman's physicality it should be expected that he's in the AHL next year to learn PK and improve, maybe season after he's here. So that leaves Rosen/Marincin for a 50% chance for Marincin, and Marincin fills more of the weaknesses of the dcore than the offensively minded Rosen, so he should play beside Marincin.

Funny how deductive reasoning can bring you to a logical choice ;)

"Funny how deductive reasoning can bring you to a logical choice"

- Marincin looked better than Borgman in the AHL.
- Borgman looked WAY better than Marincin in NHL.

Marincin should get the NHL job.

Nice deductive reasoning homeboy....Dominic Moore is the best Ping Pong player on the team....maybe he should be 1st line center....

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
"Funny how deductive reasoning can bring you to a logical choice"

- Marincin looked better than Borgman in the AHL.
- Borgman looked WAY better than Marincin in NHL.

Marincin should get the NHL job.

Nice deductive reasoning homeboy....Dominic Moore is the best Ping Pong player on the team....maybe he should be 1st line center....
lol.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm really not a fan of Marincin. But he seemed to put up good numbers in the AHL. I will trust Dubas to do what is best. I thought Holl looked good in his two NHL games.

I think we have big problems if Marincin is good enough to crack our top 6 defenders.

Reactions: ToMaLe and Cams

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I'm bringing up his 16-17 stats (at least I think I am lol), his 17-18 stats are pretty irrelevant to me considering he only had like 1 or 2 GP

His 16-17 numbers were bad lol. He played really well in 15-16 when he and rielly played top pairing (leafs finished last but that pairing and our team defensively was a bright spot, we had no offense though). After that, his numbers in 16-17 were bad and then in 17-18 he barely played.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
His 16-17 numbers were bad lol. He played really well in 15-16 when he and rielly played top pairing (leafs finished last but that pairing and our team defensively was a bright spot, we had no offense though). After that, his numbers in 16-17 were bad and then in 17-18 he barely played.
How were his 16-17 numbers bad? I'm seeing a 51% CF at a 2.1% CF rel, with a positive Gf and Gf rel

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
You're not getting the point though. Zaitsev does not efficiently pass to make a quick transition. Zaitsev does not make less mistakes than Gardiner. Gardiner's main strength in transitioning is his efficient outlet passes, that's what I'm trying to tell you. For every 10 plays, he'll make a terrible eye-glaring mistake. Do we remember the other 9 plays? No. Do we even know he made 9 efficient other plays? No. What do we remember? The 1 risky play. The problem with Gardiner is those risky plays increase when he tries to carry the game/spark something. Against Boston for example in game 7, he tried way too much to spark the team. Had fifty gazillion risky plays. Didn't work, looked like an idiot. But the 6 games before that? No one even remembers his play from that.

We're moving on from him next season, but I think it's delusional to think Zaitsev can somehow improve his transition game 10x. If you want to replace Gardiner's transition play, you have to replace his minutes with Dermott, Carrick, Lilijegren or potentially even Rosen (fantastic transition game in the lower leagues imo).
Some days I lose faith in Leafs Nation, then I read this.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
What?

He's a bad hockey player in every sense of the word.

AND yet he plays and Marincin is in the minors and no team wants him.......hhmmmmm......i wonder why all the CORSI loving geniuses teams out there havent acquired him yet????

Leafs would take a 7th rounder for Marincin RIGHT NOW!

Reactions: ToMaLe and Cams

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
AND yet he plays and Marincin is in the minors and no team wants him.......hhmmmmm......i wonder why all the CORSI loving geniuses teams out there havent acquired him yet????

Leafs would take a 7th rounder for Marincin RIGHT NOW!

I'm not sure what you're going on about but I never said Marincin was any better.

Are you going to be ok?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Just let him have a fair shot in training camp. He wasn't good for us at all, but maybe the time in the AHL has helped him work out some areas of his game.

The bottom pairing has a lot of competition this year with Borgman, Marincin, Holl, Carrick, and Rosen. Personally, I'm pulling for Holl, but whoever plays best should get the spot.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Have to see where things are at roster-wise closer to training camp, which is a ways off. As things currently stand, I'd say there's too much left side depth to have Marincin on the bottom pairing, yet not nearly enough on the right side to have Zaitsev there.

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Have to see where things are at roster-wise closer to training camp, which is a ways off. As things currently stand, I'd say there's too much left side depth to have Marincin on the bottom pairing, yet not nearly enough on the right side to have Zaitsev there.
I'm essentially basing it off the belief that Rielly/Dermott will be our top pair with Gardiner-Hainsey becoming the 2nd pair, leaving the bottom pair hole on the left side.

If for some reason Babcock thinks Dermott can't handle top 4 minutes, then it becomes Carrick and Holl battling for the 3RD spot

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm essentially basing it off the belief that Rielly/Dermott will be our top pair with Gardiner-Hainsey becoming the 2nd pair, leaving the bottom pair hole on the left side.

If for some reason Babcock thinks Dermott can't handle top 4 minutes, then it becomes Carrick and Holl battling for the 3RD spot

Would be tough IMO to slot Dermott in the top 4 already playing his natural left side. Think the task becomes that much tougher if he's asked to play his off side as often as Hainsey does, for example. I'm confident he'll get there, but it's probably a case of too much too soon at this early point in his NHL career. (Edit: Guess Rielly could play the right side, though playing any two of Rielly, Gardiner or Dermott on the same pairing may be spreading the D too thin)

Think Ozhiganov will also figure into the competition with Carrick and Holl. Maybe not right away though due to the numbers game.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
What are the facts you are referring to?
oh the fact that he got more playing time down the stretch which continued into the playoffs, if a guy isn't performing to expectation it's well known that the coach doesn't hesitate to either reduce ice-time or outright sit a player

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
oh the fact that he got more playing time down the stretch which continued into the playoffs, if a guy isn't performing to expectation it's well known that the coach doesn't hesitate to either reduce ice-time or outright sit a player

Playing more doesn't mean you're good at what you do. He had some good games and even good stretches, like most players in the league. I was expecting something factual here... but I think it's just as easily something you quoted me with earlier in the thread, some sort of driven narrative?

Polak is a depth defenseman at best and struggled for a big portion of the season. I'm not sure what is so controversial in saying that.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Komarov would diagree

Komarov was providing what was expected of him and when he didn't, he didn't get playing time, the unfortunate thing is most of LeaFland had this unrealistic expectation of Leo becoming a regular contributor to the offense, when his defensive contributions waned so did his playing time

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Komarov was providing what was expected of him and when he didn't, he didn't get playing time, the unfortunate thing is most of LeaFland had this unrealistic expectation of Leo becoming a regular contributor to the offense, when his defensive contributions waned so did his playing time

Nobody expected that. We were quite clear on what he is. A generally solid defensive player who kills offense and was playing far too many minutes.

As for his defensive game waning. That happened well before Babcock made the change. Both in terms of moving him down the lines AND taking him out of the lineup

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Playing more doesn't mean you're good at what you do. He had some good games and even good stretches, like most players in the league. I was expecting something factual here... but I think it's just as easily something you quoted me with earlier in the thread, some sort of driven narrative?

Polak is a depth defenseman at best and struggled for a big portion of the season. I'm not sure what is so controversial in saying that.

early in the season yes he did, his leg(mind) wasn't ready to give the 100% and so he was relegated to the press box or stapled to the bench in game, in 3rd periods

I'm in no way making a claim that he is a great Dman, he is a 5/6 guy who's a good guy to have on the kill and can use his physical gifts to break cycles. He's 10th in hits per game, he's 16th in blks per game in this years playoffs out of the 111 Dmen credited with appearences and just to add to that tied for 7th in +/- with a +3

he isn't as horrible as a lot of you guys make him out to be, nor is he as slow, if you PVR'd any of last seasons games watch Polak and count the number of times he gets beat to pucks in his own end, you'll be surprised

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad